If you were buying a new 14ft Aluminum...what would it be?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fishead-ed
Participant
Participant

If you were buying a new 14ft Aluminum...what would it be?

Post by fishead-ed »

Looking for some opinions on purchasing a (preferably) new aluminum boat and trailer to go with my new 15 HP Yammy. I keep flipping back and forth between a Lund 14WC/Princecraft 15 Yukon/Legend 14 Prosport. These 3 in particular offer a 15 inch transon but each one has something I don't like. Right now I'm leaning towards the Legend as it has more of what I'm looking for. What would you pair it with?

My Requirements-
1) Use: 4/5 times a year on a medium sized lake that kicks up 2 ft waves max. Will usually have me (220 lbs) + 1 occupant lets say approx 240 lbs
2) Ft: 14/16 ft (pref 14 ft for less weight)
3) Beam: 67 inches +
4) Transom: 15 inches
4) Must be able to flip upside down for winter
5) Reliable/Maintenance Free
6) Budget: up to $5000

Preferences/Nice To Haves-
1) Factory Flat floor (but could throw down plywood myself in my part if a deep V hull...but this is one reason why I like the Legend)
2) Livewell

The lake is approx 12-14 miles long. I'm no speed demon by any means but it would be nice to be able to move 10+mph fully loaded in case a storm is approaching or I'm late for dinner at the lodge :lol:

I welcome your opinion !
plncrzy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by plncrzy »

howdy neighbor

I recomend

Legend 14 ProSport
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

My father-in-law had a Yukon 15 and with a Honda 15 I tought he was under-powered. But the boat was nice and wide very stable .
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

my father has a yukon to for the past 19 years and love it he had a 20hp(went over 20mph) on it then went down to a 15..less heavy to put on and off everytime.

i would get a used boat..you can get sutch a deal on used that are in great shape.

joco
Abraxus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Abraxus »

Princecraft Yukon all the way!

The Princecraft has a much better resale value then the legends and they will not sell you an under powered boat package the way that legend will.

The Yukon is 14ft long, but it is a much wider boat then other 14footers. This means that the boat can handle a larger motor if you wish and will be a lot more stable when sitting in the water and while up on plane! It can also handle rougher conditions a lot better then the average 14ft Tinny. The displacement is much greater and this makes for a much better ride.

I had a 14ft Princecraft Fisherman a few years ago and it was great boat. This was the normal 14ft configuration and not nearly as wide as the Yukon. As a result the boat could not handle rough chop as well as I would have liked and nor was it all that stable when standing in the boat. Having said this, the boat performed awesome in the appropriate conditions. I sold the boat for almost as much as I paid for it as well. My only real complaint was that when I was in it alone, there would be hardly any keel in the water what so ever. Me (200lbs) + motor (120lbs) + Gas Tank (15lbs) all the back of the boat was not pretty. You will not have that problem with the Yukon. When I had the Fisherman, I wanted a Yukon. I now have a 16.5 foot Princecraft Holiday SC and I still would love to have a Yukon for back lakes and hard to get to locations.

If you go Princecraft, you will not be dissapointed. They cost a little more, but they well worth the money in the long run.

Ab
Fisher Dude
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fisher Dude »

LUND WC-14 all the way! 8) 15hp is bare minimum however ... (max rating is a 25hp).
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Stay away from those no name brands.... :wink:

:lol: :lol:
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Chevy Champagne »

Abraxus wrote:Princecraft Yukon all the way!

The Princecraft has a much better resale value then the legends and they will not sell you an under powered boat package the way that legend will.

The Yukon is 14ft long, but it is a much wider boat then other 14footers. This means that the boat can handle a larger motor if you wish and will be a lot more stable when sitting in the water and while up on plane! It can also handle rougher conditions a lot better then the average 14ft Tinny. The displacement is much greater and this makes for a much better ride.

I had a 14ft Princecraft Fisherman a few years ago and it was great boat. This was the normal 14ft configuration and not nearly as wide as the Yukon. As a result the boat could not handle rough chop as well as I would have liked and nor was it all that stable when standing in the boat. Having said this, the boat performed awesome in the appropriate conditions. I sold the boat for almost as much as I paid for it as well. My only real complaint was that when I was in it alone, there would be hardly any keel in the water what so ever. Me (200lbs) + motor (120lbs) + Gas Tank (15lbs) all the back of the boat was not pretty. You will not have that problem with the Yukon. When I had the Fisherman, I wanted a Yukon. I now have a 16.5 foot Princecraft Holiday SC and I still would love to have a Yukon for back lakes and hard to get to locations.

If you go Princecraft, you will not be dissapointed. They cost a little more, but they well worth the money in the long run.

Ab
I CAN DEFFINITLY SECOND THAT
a great boat
very stable and with a 20 horse it whent pretty good
so im sure youll be fine with a 15
High Noon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by High Noon »

I have the Lund WC with a 15 hp Honda and absolutely love it. In the roughish type water it is a very dry ride.

High Noon
mikemicropterus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mikemicropterus »

Princecraft fisherman or yukon :D
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. Henry David Thoreau

Read my Blogs on http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/auth ... rstorm-ca/

Listen to Podcasts on http://www.spreaker.com/show/lanark_county_confidential
Buckshot
Participant
Participant

Post by Buckshot »

What horespower are you looking to put on the boat.

With a tiller boat the max hp is generally what you will want on the boat or you will be disapointed.

The last thing that you want is a slug with you and a buddy in the boat witha all your gear.
1lastcast
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by 1lastcast »

My last boat a LEGEND 1468 25hp 2stroke

I liked my legend so much that I upgraded to a 18xcal after 2 seasons with the 14 footer. The main reason for my upgrade was due to starting a family and having 2 little ones in the boat. I wanted a bigger boat that we could grow into not out off.

That being said the 1468 was a great boat. I built my own livewell into the center seat and also installed a floor in the boat. I think now most the 14 footer come with a livewell already installed?

As for ride. I am 230lbs and with a boat load of gear and another person up front it worked great for me. I even had that boat out on the BOQ more then a few times :) TOP speed gps was around 30mph.

The only real complaint I had with the boat was the lower transome height. At 15" with a 25hp motor on the back she would take the odd wave over the transome :? I think a wider boat or higher transome boat would give you more hp options.

You said that you already have a 15hp motor. So my advise is match the boat to your motor. Dont buy a big heavy boat only to find out that your motor is to small for the boat. Keep in mind a livewell requires a battery and along with a floor it all adds weight to the boat. :?

Good luck
"My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

Have you considered a jon boat? I have a 16 ft mod v jon boat which is extremely stable and more than deep enough to handle 2 foot waves, in fact I wont hesitate to go out in most situations on the ottawa in it. it already has a flat floor and a live well built in, not a huge live well but a decent size. Added advantage is that its a flat bottom and pushes next to no water making a 15 hp enough hp. I bought mine brand new 2 springs ago for $1800. Its very low maintenance.
Here is a link to the boat:

http://www.boats.com/boat-details/Crest ... 8TS/998690
fishead-ed
Participant
Participant

14 ft

Post by fishead-ed »

I bought a new 15 HP Yamaha last year so I'd like to keep it. I also need something portable that I can easily remove and put on other boats...not just the boat I'm looking to buy now.

Sounds like most feel the PC or Lund would be better choices. I did like the Legend for the options with a 15 inch transom. Comparable models of Lund/PC only offer a 20inch transom. But all considered the Legend is heaviest (because of the floor/livewell options) at 400 lbs, followed by Lund at 285, and PC at 240. Perhaps a 400lb hull would be too heavy for a 15HP when you consider you still need to add people, gear, cooler, etc. :cry:

Thanks a lot for opinions !
waynerb66
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by waynerb66 »

I have a Misty River. It is practically a clone to the LUND you are interested in. It can hold 5 people, and I believe it is rated for a 35hp. I have a 20hp and have no problem going fast. When I am alone I just put my gas tank towards the front, and it levels out quite nice. The only problem, well not for me, but as far as your requirements, is that it is heavy. So flipping it over would be a two man job. It is what they call a utility boat. Anyways, if you can find one of these, it would probably be cheaper than a LUND. However, you are getting virtually the same boat.