Lake Temagami Ice fishing Recommendations

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lake Temagami Ice fishing Recommendations

Post by JimW »

Hello,

My buddies and I are planning our annual ice fishing trip. We use to go to Lake Temagami, but we have gone to Lake Nippissing for the last 4 years. We are planning on going back to Temagami this winter, in mid-January.

The outfitter we used in the past is not openning this winter, so we are looking for another place to go. We prefer the on-ice bungalows. We were thinking about trying Tamar. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions of outfitters on Temagami they have used in the past.

We are mainly fishing for whitefish and ling.

Thanks,

JimW
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

How's your experience been at Lake Nippissing? Me and my buddy are looking for a good place to go this winter, with a nice warm hut... any good sugestions there?
nips
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nips »

lapointeric wrote:How's your experience been at Lake Nippissing? Me and my buddy are looking for a good place to go this winter, with a nice warm hut... any good sugestions there?
Ive been to nipissing twice to sleep in the ice bungalows, they are all lined up in a big line like housing in downtown ottawa, we caught very few fish and lots of mudpuppies. I would recommend looking somewhere else, or look for an outfitter that speads his shacks out a bit, not in a line
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

I agree with nips.

We had a couple goods years at Nippissing, but the last 2 have been slow, unless you have a good recipe for mudpuppies :lol:

That is why we are looking at Temagami this year, plus we would like some whitefish for a change.

JimW
bassman40
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

temgami area

Post by bassman40 »

JimW,

check out Ravenscroft lodge. My buddies and I have used their services every year for the past 16yrs. Joe the owner is a good guy but he's getting old and therefore can get lazy by not moving his huts around enough. so be prepared to be mobile to make your trip a success.

http://www.onlink.net/~ravlodge/

I'm the guy in the fourth pic down.

Also, he rents cabins that sleep 4-6 persons rather on "on-ice" huts which in my opinion makes for a better nights sleep. Meals are typically included and served in the main lodge.

cheers,
Scott T from Ottawa
aka: bassman40
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

Thanks bassman40,

I'll check it out. Do you know if there are ling in the lake?

JimW
bassman40
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bassman40 »

I've never caught or seen any of my buddies catch a ling out of all the years we've been there but definitely the odd mudd puppy.

Target fish on jumping caribou lake are; lakers, perch, whitefish, walleye, pike.
although there are ton of small local lakes in that area that you can access if your prepared to be mobile (skidoo, auger) that may have ling.
good luck!
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Hey Jim.

I've stayed with Tamar 4 times over the years. Bruce is a great fella.

You won't sleep in the huts but instead in cabins close by. Fishing Temagami is very hit and miss for me, mostly miss, but I've never been up there at that time. You're too early for lakers which open mid february. If you've got quads or sleds I'd take 'em.
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

Thanks for the info Bunk,

I talked to Bruce, they have cottages, but they now have an on-ice bungalow as well.

Unfortunately we do not have sleds or quads so we will be pretty stationary.

I know we are too early for lakers, main target is whitefish and ling, and will try a bit for walleye. I hope to go for lakers in March.

We have found an outfitter that has on-ice bungalows to stay in and fish out of, and also sets up a second smaller (8'x8') hut near by for you as a second fishing spot.

We have a power auger so we will spread out some tips up as much as we can to atleast try and cover a bit of water.

I agree with Temagami being hit and miss, that has been our experience in the past.

We are hoping for a "hit" this year!!

JimW
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Jim I have caught ling on Temagami most came at night. If you're gonna try it spread your lines out one ling can make a mess of your tip ups.
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

Thanks foe the tips, fff.

We have fished for ling on Temagami, and I definitely agree they can make a big mess of your lines if they are close together.

Jim