Fall Smallies - Shore fishing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Glacier
Participant
Participant

Fall Smallies - Shore fishing

Post by Glacier »

I'm fairly new to the Ottawa region and the local fish species. I don't have a boat and have spent most of my time shore fishing.

I was out at Morris Island on Monday for half the day with my father and we didn't even get a bite. :cry: I covered a good portion of the shore line, moving regularly. I changed lures and setup regularly but I didn't even see a minnow in the water.

My question is, do I need to change tactics in the fall? Do the fish come near the shore, or do they migrate to the main river?

Thanks!
Glacier
bl8ant
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bl8ant »

Never fished smallies from shore but a few ideas to keep things in your favor.

• Make sure deep water is close by (depth being relevant to the lake)
• Current isn't too strong
• Concentrate on slow moving baits (maybe downsize)

A lot of people are catching smallmouth in the 20-30 foot zone now in lakes around Ottawa.

That's about all I can offer since I have been targeting largies mostly this fall.
JZ
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

tubes

Post by JZ »

Shore fishing is tough but it can be successful if you find some drop offs. Doesnt have to be huge even a 10-15 drop will do. If you had a boat you would drag tubes in these areas as you drift, the same technique can be used from shore. Cast out and let the tube find bottom then very very slowly jig it back to shore. If you feel the slightest resistance set the hook, you may lose some tubes to snags but they are fairly cheap and that just means there is structure down there which is a good thing. Good Luck
Glacier
Participant
Participant

Post by Glacier »

Thanks for the tips. I followed both of your advice and concentrated on a few areas this time with deeper water near by and less current. I was a little more successful with it. I also tried smaller tube worms (I cut them) and reeled it in much much slower. I only caught a couple of babies, but at least I had fun.

Cheers
tman12
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tman12 »

I have gotten no bass this fall either :cry: :cry:
only perch
keep the lines wet!
ty 8)