Black Donald Lake

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Fish'n Buddy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Black Donald Lake

Post by Fish'n Buddy »

Finally going to get out fishing again, it's been a while. We are going to camp for the weekend in the Black Donald Campground. Black Donald Looks like a big lake, never fished it or the Centenial but I hear there's walleye, bass, pike ect. so if anyone knows the lake and has any advice (and that doesn't neccessarily mean hot spots/tackle) but things to look out for, or a good bait shop in the area ect I'd appreciate it .
Hope everyone else is doing more fishing then I am this summer!
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

pm sent;
fish Nut
Participant
Participant

Post by fish Nut »

It is not a good fishing lake, at least not for us.
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

What dates are you going??? or was it this past weekend??? Just wondering cause there's a good chance that this Fri-Sun I'll be on the lake as well...
Fish'n Buddy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fish'n Buddy »

Not a good fishing lake? That's not the best news but lookin at its size, and how its fed by the madawaska and Centennial lake I think I will be able to scrounge up an eye or two.....If not theres gotta be some bass in there!

And yes hookup it is this weekend, we are leaving tomorow, friday the 21st, staying at black donald tent and trailor park till sunday afternoon. I will be on the water EARLY saturday and sunday morning, and saturday evening at dusk...in a 14 foot aluminum with a 9,9 johnson...There will be two of us, and maybe a young lad if he promises he won't whine to come in after an hour :lol:
I'm thinking of heading either to wear the mouth of the madawaska, or the west basin of the lake where it meets centenial, and probably the GPS coordinates you pmd me 8) we will be after walleye saturday, and if we have a hard time getting on them, then bass/pike it is sunday!
make sure if you see us out there you pull up and say hello!

Fishin' buddy
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

It is a good lake with plenty of eyes but if you want to keep any make sure you check the regs, the allowable size is 19 something inches dont exactly remember. Bottom bouncing worms or minnows or just plain drifting a jig with a worm worked for us.
katch moore
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by katch moore »

must be over 19.7 inches. s-2 c-1

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR_E001334.pdf
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

Best of luck! Hope you do not get troubled by rain/weather.
x-Toban
Participant
Participant

Post by x-Toban »

Good luck bud!
Get all the fishing in you can now because bird season is just around the corner!!!
Fish'n Buddy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fish'n Buddy »

Black Donald Lake deffinatly did not dissapoint, what a nice lake, and some really great fishing. The weather wasn't bad either, had a few isolated showers yesturday but all in all there was plenty of sunshine and good times had on the lake. Saturday morning the plan was to get on the water early and start looking for some areas that should be holding fish. Couldn't beleive how deep and steep the lake was with some areas over 70 feet deep, often found ourselves in 50 FOW only metres from shore.
But it wasn't long and we found some spots with structure and marked a few fish on the Humingbird and managed a pike and two smallies. After scouting the lake during the day while taking the family for a boat ride we went back out after supper to target walleye and managed to catch a nice eater in most scenarios but as you guys mentioned about the regs I had to realease my 18'' walleye. Then this morning was overcast, and windy putting a nice walleye chop on the lake. We drifted over shelves with worm harnesses, erie deries and walleye divers, but didn't pick up any of the walleye that we were marking on bottom so I put on a pink and whilte knuckle jig with a pink and white 3'' pastic shad with a big crawler and managed to pick up another nice walleye but again it was only 18.5'' so I let her go. My fishin' buddy picked up another nice pike and a bass, then it was time to head back for breaky and start tearin' down the camp site.

I will deffinatly be back there again we had a really good weekend. My buddy told me today it was the best birthday he's ever had and it was his 30th yesturday, and his 6 and 4 year old boys I think had a really good weekend too, they coudln't get enough of watching my dogs swimming and jumping in the lake. They got to do some fishing too and caught lots of rock bass and perch yesturday afternoon.

Fishin' Buddy
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

excellent!