Calming THe Newbie Nerves

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
AngryBeaver71
Participant
Participant

Calming THe Newbie Nerves

Post by AngryBeaver71 »

OKay, so as some of you may know, I am new to Fish-Hawk, and I love this place.

Also, I am a new boat owner, thanks to Myles at Orleans Boat World. Set myself up with a 09 Lowe FM165 and I love her to pieces! Only 2 weeks old. I've fished since I was a teenager, and finally bought myself a toy.

Well my issue isn't fishing or taking her on the water, it's my inept trailering ability. Not pulling it, backing the damn thing up!

I don't wanna be the pain in the royal "A" at launches, as I want to respect the established etiquette. I'm nervous. :oops: And I'm even more so because i'm a woman, in a predominately male dominated environment.

If I am having a tough time backing in the boat/trailer, is it foolish of me to ask someone to back it in for me to speed up the process? Would any of you have a problem with helping a couple of chicks who wanna go out fishing with such a favour? 8)

I've been practicing, and I know it takes practice and with the more experience the better I will get, but I was just curious as to how guys at the launch would react if asked to help.

Respectfully,
Deester
I
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I don't think anyone would ever turn you down....unless they were as nervous as you... :lol:

RJ
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

I think most people will gladly help if asked out but be prepared that person you might be asking is the yutz who drives everyone at the launch nuts. :lol:

Cong on the new boat.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Yep. Nobody would turn you down! :D

It takes practice but you'll get it. Took me a while too! Don't sweat it.
Better NOT to race and damage your rig..that's worse and for what to shave a few minutes off?
Dcaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Dcaster »

It's true, no should turn you down if you asked for help.
But you should just always launch yourself anyways so
you get good at it, people can wait or if your to nervous
just wave others thru and launch after them.
Cheers
TBM
Participant
Participant

Post by TBM »

First, congratulations on the purchase of your new toy. I also bought a used Ranger boat a couple of weeks ago from Myles at Orleans Boat World. Him and the boys at OBW are top notch and I would totally recommend them to anyone.

About trailering, like anything in life, practice makes perfect. If you have the time, try heading out to a mall parking lot when you have an evening free and try to back up using the parking spot lines as a mock ramp. Soon enough, guys will be asking YOU to back in their machine :wink:
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Be careful!! I don't mean just about trailoring.. I am a man in decent shape @ 6 foot 3, 215lBs ... And I fish alone most of the time. I have had my fair share of "Deliverance" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068473/ moments where I thought I might end up Ned Beattied http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gLN3QoN-q8 without a Burt Reynolds and cross-bow!

Although I admittedly fish almost exclusively on the QC side... Here is a video from a recent out door concert in Masham:

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RyKvD-4IxOY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed>

I am not into fear mongering, but as a father of 3 daughters, hearing about a couple of gals fishing on their own kinda raises some flags for me. I hope it does not sound chauvinistic...

As for the trailer issues.... Unless you are hopeless... Never let anyone drive your rig! Let them give you direction and pointers.... But unless you just can't get her done, never give up that drivers seat. If you are that bad, I am positive that there are 60 guys here that would have no problem taking you out to the Scotia Bank parking lot to give you a lesson or two!

Craig
Last edited by cprince on Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Astro-Mike
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Astro-Mike »

congrats on your new toy..

most people will help you out. but you are better off in the long run doing it for yourself. don't let people hurry or rush you at the ramp take your time.

just remember to have your boat ready to be launched before you approach the ramp (straps and such).

have fun and enjoy it.

M
Ronadt
Participant
Participant

Post by Ronadt »

Can't help, but just wanted to comment that I know exactly how you feel. I was considering getting a boat, but one of the reasons I haven't is because husband doesn't like fishing, and I couldn't figure out how I could do it on my own. Sounds like you won't have any trouble getting assistance. The fishing folk generally are very friendly and helpful.

Have fun & I can't wait to see your fishing reports!
Rona
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

You might consider practicing your backing control in an empty parking lot.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Carmine13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Carmine13 »

you said your a girl, just drop the famous "hey boys, can you give me a hand" line and im sure they will be lining up to help you
AngryBeaver71
Participant
Participant

Post by AngryBeaver71 »

Craig, no offense taken, I can appreciate your views, being a father of 3 girls. Being a dad to daughters "tweaks" a man perspective, so I am told by my own brothers.

I grew up in a household of men (5), played all my sports with the boys, and have worked in both construction and kitchens before university and beyond, and I like to think I am pretty savvy, and must admit that I have found myself in "situations", but for the most part, the men have been more protective than potential @$$holes.

So far all the guys I have met around the launches, and lakes have been kind, encouraging and respectful. For which I have been very appreciative.

Hey Rona!!! Perhaps we will have to hook up for an "expedition"! :D

Go for the Lunkers, Live For The Fight!!!!
Deester
Mr. T.
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mr. T. »

Maybe try renting a utility trailer from U-Haul and practice driving around and backing up with that at first then once your more comfortable, start towing the boat.

That's my plan. :)
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

hey all you have to do is call me i'll come and back it in for you !! oh did i mention there would be a seat in the boat for me lol!!
Joey Rat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Ramping up the anxiety.

Post by Joey Rat »

I think the best advice I've seen here is don't give up your seat. It takes time and it takes practice and you won't get either if someone else does it for you.

Sometimes I snake my way down the ramp and others I could do it blindfolded but if I have a problem it's almost always when I try to go too fast.

Just make sure to prep your boat before you hit the ramp. Take it slow and only make small adjustments to your steering, it's amplified at the trailer.

I don't know what your tow vehicle is but I also find it helps to raise the hatch or lower the tailgate so you can see as much of the boat/trailer as possible.

Good luck.