Night Fishing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Mike M
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Night Fishing

Post by Mike M »

Looks like tonight might be a great night for some night fishing. Full moon, clear skies. Anyone got some tips for chasing largies after dark? I'm thinking top water might be the best option (buzz baits, frogs) but what other techniques are there that are well suited for night time bassin?
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Here is a an article on the subject.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Bass-Fishing- ... id=1268108
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Mike M
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mike M »

Good article and it's just the opposite of what I had thought. Might be a little tough using crank-baits in a heavily weedy area like where I'll be fishing, but I'll give it a try. Thanks Todd
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Well the only other thing I can think of would be to chuck plastics (black or purple) using a rattling weight. While you don't get the vibrations of a crankbait you'd still get some sound from the rattle.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

If you are night fishing in weeds and don't want do deal with crankbaits, rig up a soft minnow bait like a Flappin' Shad, Super Fluke or HardNose Minnow. Another option is to texas rig a big (8" - 10") plastic worm and work it through the weeds. Don't hesitate to work these plastics aggressively.

HTH,
Doug
Carmine13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Carmine13 »

well that article isnt intirely true i use live bait at night and it recks my crankbaits. the only thing that is comparible to live bait is gulp alive leeches drop shot, and that aint rattleing or vibrating down there and it sure works for me!!!
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Night Fishing

Post by Bass Addict »

Mike M wrote: I'm thinking top water might be the best option (buzz baits, frogs)

Look no further... :wink:
Raminator
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Raminator »

a good ole blk. jitterbug or popper on the surface,or I use a gulp alive 5 inch jerkbait texas rigged on a weighted 4/0 hook and walk it along the bottom and thru the weeds back into deeper water from shore. I've caught alot of nice LMB on the madawaska this year, with the chartreuse/pepper color at night and in the day. I don't know where you fish,but I use home made steel braid leaders on my topwaters at night,or you just end up feeding them to the muskies.
Mike M
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mike M »

A lot of sage advice for sure. Thanks guys. I'm still leaning heavily towards top water though. With a full moon and clear sky, it will be a very bright night and I'm certain the bass won't mind busting the surface as they should be able to see the baits quite well. Cheers
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

With the temperature going down to 9 degrees tonight , I would think the bass will holding tight to the slop and Back section of the lily pads ....like in 6 inches of water.... :idea:
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

I used to do quite a lot of night bass fishing, with a canoe, b4 I got a fishing boat...

What worked for me was to scout in the daytime - looking for shallow back bays with rocky shoreline points on one or both sides... and submerged weeds. Reason for the rocky shore was to avoid overhead treebranches...

Then when darkness came, canoe to the shore near each bay, but far enough to not spook the fish, quietly walk onto the rocks next to the bay and then toss surface lures into the shallows... I also occasionally used leopard frogs. Both nailed many LMB for me - lots of good memories.

I don't do much night fishing any more, except for crappie...
Splake_Hunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Splake_Hunter »

All I gotta say is weed edges with a popper........