How do you launch solo?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

How do you launch solo?

Post by Mr.J. »

After reaing Hookup's story I got to thinking.....how am I going to do it when I take my 9 year old son out?

Honestly I have never seen anyone launch solo so I could only guess but hey if you want to share how you do it then I'm all for reading about it.

Thanks
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

If your son is 9 he could probably hold a rope?

I launch solo a lot...... basically, hook a LONG rope to the eye in front... keep drivers door open holding rope..... back in slow until boat comes off... walk out and tie up boat.

It works best of course if the dock is on the driver side.... if it's not you have to throw the rope over the truck..... if there's no dock you just pull the boat up on shore.....
RobM
Participant
Participant

Post by RobM »

I tied the rope to the winch bracket on the trailer. That way even if there is a strong wind or current my boat won't take off. I like having it tied to something solid, even though I have plenty of rope.
Super
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

solo

Post by Super »

Hi
Basically I did the same thing, tieing the rope to the front of the trailer however, the first time I left too much rope and when I pulled forward the boat almost broke one of my lights.
So I measured out the exact distance to have the boat tied to the winch and then when I back in, the boat just goes to the back of the trailer but when I pull forward, the bow of the boat is still resting right on the last roller.
Soon enough the old man will be holding the rope and your kid will be driving the car and the boat.
Enjoy it now!
Super.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

If there is no dock:

tie rope to trailer
back in
float boat
slowly pull trailer out
pull boat to shore
untie boat from trailer
secure boat onshore
park truck/trailer

If there is a dock:

get a long enough rope
tie rope to cleat or bow eye
tie rope to dock
back in trailer float boat
pull out trailer
pull boat to dock, shorten rope

or you could teacj your 9 year old to drive :D
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

I put a knot at the end of my rope and I wedge the rope in my tailgate below the knot. I guess this only works if you have a truck.
You can teach a 9 year old to drive, but try teaching him to back up a trailer, I know a few grown men who haven't figured that one out.

Tight lines,
Yannick
TLunge
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TLunge »

Back it in just far enough so you can drive the boat off the trailer
Shut off truck and apply the emergency brake
Go stand on the tongue and unhook the boat
Hop up in the bow and drive the boat off and go park/tie it somewhere
Go back and pull the truck out
Same procedure when you go to leave, but you have to back your trailer in just the right amount so when you drive the boat on at a couple of miles an hour the bunks will slow you down and stop you before the bow hits the trailer winch.
One to two feet of bunk showing above the water is a rough guess for most trailers.
If you are good at this you can do it even in a stiff crosswind and waves
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

TLunge wrote:Back it in just far enough so you can drive the boat off the trailer
Shut off truck and apply the emergency brake
Go stand on the tongue and unhook the boat
Hop up in the bow and drive the boat off and go park/tie it somewhere
Go back and pull the truck out
Same procedure when you go to leave, but you have to back your trailer in just the right amount so when you drive the boat on at a couple of miles an hour the bunks will slow you down and stop you before the bow hits the trailer winch.
One to two feet of bunk showing above the water is a rough guess for most trailers.
If you are good at this you can do it even in a stiff crosswind and waves
That is what I do
radar
Participant
Participant

Post by radar »

Same as mentioned is what I do. The only problem that I come accross is when I have to back up too much with the car or van (don't have a truck) and I have to get wet to get to the tongue.

However, the last time I used the rope to the driver's window trick and worked well. Stayed dry too.
okplotz
Participant
Participant

Post by okplotz »

hey guys i have no problem launching my boat myself but the problem i have is when i go to load my boat i have a very hard time getting the boat centered on the bunks any helpful hints or ideas to help me out?
radar
Participant
Participant

Post by radar »

I've got the same problem lining out the boat. I almost always have to re-arrange the boat on the trailer once it's out. The problem is getting the keel on the rollers. Not much room for error. Lucky it's only a 14' but ideas from others would be great.
TLunge
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TLunge »

A good trailer has nice side bunks and is almost self-centering when you drive the boat on, if you have a crappy trailer you wont be able to do this very smoothly
okplotz
Participant
Participant

Post by okplotz »

yes my boat doesnt have side bunks any ideas for homemade or what type to buy? its only a 14.5 footer but it can be a real pain sumtimes
Mr. T.
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mr. T. »

ChampionNorm wrote: If there is a dock:

get a long enough rope
tie rope to cleat or bow eye
tie rope to dock
back in trailer float boat
pull out trailer
pull boat to dock, shorten rope
I don't remember who I was with when I first started fishing but this is what he did and he had me hold on to the rope as well. He wanted me to get a feel for it and to see if I was able to hold onto the rope. Obviously underestimating the pull of the boat, I couldn't and just let the rope go. Then I grabbed the rope and pulled the boat back in. I remember seeing him laughing in the rear view mirror as he pulled away. :)
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

TLunge wrote:A good trailer has nice side bunks and is almost self-centering when you drive the boat on, if you have a crappy trailer you wont be able to do this very smoothly

I have no side bunks. I don't need em, the boat centers itself. regardless of how crooked I have lined up.