My SEBO Experience. - White Lake.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Zimbo
Participant
Participant

My SEBO Experience. - White Lake.

Post by Zimbo »

So the wife and I fished the first SEBO event on Saturday, and all in all I can say we had a great time. It was our first tournament in Canada, so we were both a little nervous, but we ended up having a great time. We came in 21st, with 11.34lbs...just could not find that kicker fish. Winning weight was 14.80lbs. This only being the second time we had been on White Lake, I thought we did OK :) We were both so nervous that we forgot to take any photos of the fish :lol:

Boat retrieval was quite a mission....82 boats coming out of one ramp....quite hectic!!
:o By the time we managed to get our boat out, the weigh-in area had been packed up and everyone had already left.

We encountered a fairly odd thing at one of our spots.... I say "odd" because we were both a little annoyed by it...perhaps someone can tell me if this is "normal" or not. We were fishing the left side of a rocky point, we had been on the spot for about 10min, when a boat from the other side of the lake comes across...at first I thought he was going to stop and fish the right side of the rocks....nope....he comes and stops about 30ft in directly in front of us....so the wife and I both look at each other...like what the hell!!...but then to top things off....his first cast was directly at our boat :evil:
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think that is just damn rude.....sure I know that we can't claim the spot...but to stop so close to us and then have the nerve to cast towards us....sheeeeshh...some people.
Anyone else have this happen to them often?? Is it normal??? Perhaps our fishing etiquette in Zim is just different???

Anyway...all that aside, we had a great day. Looking forward to the next one on the Rideau River....never been to the Rideau either, but I am sure it will be fun. :lol:
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

30 ft is way too close and it was exceptionally rude. It doesn't happen often but it does and I have witnessed some really great pi$$ing matches between boats and in one instance saw a spinnerbait make it's way onto the deck of the offending boat.

I think the general rule is 100ft apart but you can cast onto someone else's deck, you're too close.

Congrats on the good showing.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Good Job Zimbo
That's a very respectable SEBO finish.

Re: etiquette - that would be rude anywhere in the world, including here.

I had a similiar experience yesterday - was fishing bass, anchored 20ft from a submerged weedbed. A boat comes in WOT, parks about 8ft from my boat, between me and the weedbed, then the guys on the boat start casting to the same weedbed that I was fishing when they arrived. Funniest part is that they asked if the fish were biting... I simply smiled and shook my head...

I pulled anchor and left the spot, no words spoken. I was tempted to say something, but figured no good could come of it.

Good luck on the Rideau!!
Zimbo
Participant
Participant

Post by Zimbo »

Thanks guys, I thought we did ok for our first try :-)
I guess it is always better to try keep your cool.....but I did have thoughts of tying on my biggest Zara Spook, it would have made a nice clanging noise when it bounced off his engine :twisted:
MichaelVandenberg
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MichaelVandenberg »

Zimbo,

Congrats on the 21st! We too were one kicker away from having a great day.

Definitely not a class act that pulled up beside you and casted towards you. While there is no rules as the the physical distance one boat can be from another, there are unwritten rules.

For the most part, most anglers in this area do have good angling etiquette and as the old saying goes, 'one bad apple ruins the bunch'.

Good luck at the next one.

Cheers,

Michael Vandneberg
Zimbo
Participant
Participant

Post by Zimbo »

Thanks Michael,
I am sure there are way more "good" apples out there, than bad ones.

tight lines, good fishing.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

One time we were musky fishing in a back bay on the Ottawa. Some guys in a tinner come in and start trolling exactly where we are casting.....

Remedy? Pelted their boat with a barrage of casted Believers....

Should have seen the look on THEIR faces! :shock:

But to save face they trolled off.....
:lol: :lol: :lol:
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Good chance that you have a hot wife and he was just trying to get a better look!

:)

They were obviously WAY too close. Next time start up the boat and do some doughnuts around them and swamp them into the rocky point!

(MMmmmm... probably should tell you that I am a little bit of a hot head... might not want to take my advice!)

Craig
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

So here I was fishing White Lake when from across the lake I see this boat fishing a rock shoal with what looks to be a very hot wife in the boat. We drove over, parked 30ft away and started casting at the guys boat for some bass....He seemed a little upset but we did not care he was from Zimbabwe or something like that.....Na just kidding Zimbo. Was it a 14ft Princecraft and where on the lake were you. My buddy and I fish the lake all the time and there is one idiot in a boat that does that all the time. Usually he follows your trolling line and then gains speed so he is right in line with your boat and then slowly drifts over to your line. We have spoke to him before and he is to Lanark to understand I think.

Nice work on the bag o fish...very respectable for the 1st time on the lake. I should have PM'ed you with a few spots to try...may have helped you make the top ten :wink:
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

almontefisher wrote:clipped... he is too Lanark to understand I think.
:shock: ...................:D :lol:
Zimbo
Participant
Participant

Post by Zimbo »

:lol: You guys crack me up :lol:
The guy was fishing by himself in a bass boat. It sounds like everyone has had a run in with some....mmm..shall I say kn*bs . :roll:
(Big Bass Daddy)
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

SEBO

Post by (Big Bass Daddy) »

that's really good Zimbo!! My buddy and I ended up 28th and we were definitely happy with that.

In regards to the issue at hand, yes that has happened to me several times on that lake and in that tournament also, but I always remember the words of one comedian that goes goes like this: "you can't fix stupid"! LOL :lol:

BBD 8) 8)
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

Great result Zimbo! White Lake wasn't good to us this opener for size, anyhow. We probably caught 30+ fish but not one over 2 lbs. Missed a few good ones at the boat but other than those, it was attack of the 1lb.8oz clones all day.

I'm actually surprised that the lake is not giving up the big fish anymore, or at least not this year. There were no true hogs caught yesterday in a field with over 80 boats, many of them very experienced fishermen. Kinda makes you wonder if that lake is succumbing to overfishing (with people keeping fish for trophies or just mishandling and killing them), or what...
brufan
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by brufan »

Good job Zimbo! Nice showing for your 2nd time on the lake. I was in that tourney as well but it was a tough day. My buddy only managed one bass and he's got a tonne of experience on White Lake!
brufan..
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

Kinda makes you wonder if that lake is succumbing to overfishing (with people keeping fish for trophies or just mishandling and killing them), or what...
Given the numbers of fish that are reported caught, perhaps there is not enough harvest and the bass (and pike) populations are becoming stunted.