How far behind the downrigger

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Ducker2
Participant
Participant

How far behind the downrigger

Post by Ducker2 »

How far behind the downrigger do I run my line for trolling lakers I just got a downrigger and some say 5ft and others say 20. What would you run?

Thanks Ducker2
Mike P
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

downrigging

Post by Mike P »

That would depend on a few different things,sunny, cloudy,water clarity,even beginning of the year,middle or end, also what lure or set-up your using.In general I usually put my lure about 20-30ft behind but the beginning of the season because water temps are good I usually run a longer lead but shallower on the ball.
Dartee
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dartee »

same here

the shallower I am with the ball the further back I run the lure.
when in the 20- 40 ft range i am running some where in the 20-30ft back
below 80 i may be as close as 10-15 ft.

It also depends on the lake too
When my dad fished Nipigion, they never ran further back then 15ft regardless of depth (larger lakers would actually smack the balls) so closer was better.
Ducker2
Participant
Participant

Post by Ducker2 »

Lets say your typical kawartha lake which is pretty clear about this time of the year I guess the trout probably have started down to deeper water already and lets say two scenarios sunny day and overcast day and do you run a spoon with a dead minnow or just a spoon

Ducker2
Mike P
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike P »

Ducker2 wrote:Lets say your typical kawartha lake which is pretty clear about this time of the year I guess the trout probably have started down to deeper water already and lets say two scenarios sunny day and overcast day and do you run a spoon with a dead minnow or just a spoon

Ducker2
Trout might be heading towards deeper water but the ones looking for feed will still be in 30-50ft of water,not to say you can't catch them deeper.
As for spoons...Sunny days=big bright flasy spoons
Overcast=darker spoons and brass colour
I don't use minnow's on open water So can't help you there.
I also find different spoons work better on leadcore and others on the rigger.
Ducker2
Participant
Participant

Post by Ducker2 »

thanks for all the info I will be sure to try this out next weekend

Ducker2
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

A lot of good info has been posted already.
A lot depends on what lure I'm pulling. If it is a floating lure eg rapala, then I run the lure closer to the ball, to keep the lure depth close to the ball depth. For spoons, I run 30ft off the ball.