Annual Fishing Trip for 2009 - Where you going??

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
adempsey
Participant
Participant

Annual Fishing Trip for 2009 - Where you going??

Post by adempsey »

Well, it's time for me to plan my annual fishing trip. I used to go for 1 week every summer with my brother and father for many years but stopped for a few years when I moved away to attend school etc.

Last year I started it up again. I have gone fishing crazy since! I love fishing! I actually went ice fishing for the first time this year as well. Really enjoyed that too (2 weeks left!!). Of course, this also let me buy a bunch of new hear since I "needed" it.

Anyway, it's such a challenge trying to find a location. There are so many and without some "customer" feedback it's next to impossible for me to decide. I am planning on going to the Fishing show in March in Toronto just for this reason.

Last year we hit a boat-in lodge on Lady Evelyn Lake. It's a beautiful lake. Walleye fishing was good. I would go back, but it's quite expensive and hard to justify the cost ($1400 per person for 7 days, American Plan). I don't think it's over priced or anything, but I know there are less expensive lodges.

So, I was hoping to get some tidbits from the community here. I am most interested in the Lake, but any suggestions or recommendations are most welcome.

My criteria:

I need to rent a boat.
American plan is nice, but not necessary.
I like to have a feel of seclusion (i.e., not a million boats zooming by, like in 10,000 island region for example). I am not a big fan of Jetskis, grrrr.

I'd prefer it to be no more than an 8 hour drive from Toronto. So that would most likely be something in the Near North and part of Wilderness Region and Rainbow Country (Government designations).

Boat in lodge would be nice. No fly ins at this time unfortunately.

I regularly fish the Kawartha Lakes (primarily Rice and Pigeon). I also spent some time on Simcoe, Lake Muskoka and Georgian Bay last year.

Target fish - walleye and bass. Primarily walleye. I'd love to be on a lake where I can catch whitefish (my favorite eating fish!), lake trout and perch as well.

Rice Lake is a nice lake. I really love it. I go there for day and weekend trips all the time. However, for the annual trip I think it's a good opportunity for us to drive much further and experience new lakes.

My ultimate destination would be Lake of the Woods and that entire western Ontario region. I can't wait to go there........it truly sounds like my version of Walt Disney World.

So, where are you going for your week long trip this season??????
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

I'm going here:

http://www.biggamehunt.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17509

For you - check out the upper Ottawa R. There are several lodges between Petawawa and Mattawa that give you that deep in the bush feeling. I recommend Morning Mist at Stonecliffe. Excellent walleye fishing. Service and facilities are even better.
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
Tomcat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Tomcat »

While I live in the Ottawa area, most of my fishing (trout and walleye) over the last 40 years has been in Quebec. The scenery is fabulous and the fishing can be very satisfying. With respect to recommending locations that satisfy your requirements (seclusion, walleye fishing and no more than an 8 hour drive from Toronto), I suggest you have a look at outfitters plying their trade in the Abitibi, Quebec area (70 miles north east of North Bay). Here's a web site that provides the name of some outfitters in that area - see http://www.kipawa.com/kipawa_outfitters.htm I have two one week trips planned for that area this summer. If you would like more detailed information, send me a PM.
beeman
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by beeman »

I plan on canoeing right past this place, and picking on the greyling, pike and walleye. Not to mention the white water canoeing.

http://www.creeriverlodge.ca/0000pg.asp ... 9/SID/2411

This is a little past your 8 hour travel limit. Sorry, I have not really been on week long trips around here, so I can't really give good advice on that part.

B.
misty-river
Participant
Participant

Post by misty-river »

I live in the Ottawa area but my annual fishing trip is up to the French River in northern Ontario. I have been going up there for about 35 years a have always enjoyed the fishing (bass,walleye,pike and muskie)Here is a link to that system http://www.frenchriverresorts.com/ you can check out quit a few places from this one link
Happiness is tight lines
plncrzy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by plncrzy »

I am going to CUP lake Saskatchewan... A trophy PIKE, Lake Trout AND walleye lake... rare to have that combination.

This outpost camp has only 32 fishermen per year access the lake... :shock:

http://www.fishingbug.com/cuplake/
plowjock
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by plowjock »

Last year my wife and I hit Caigers on the St. Lawrence.
This was not my real cup of tea as the boat traffic was absolutely crazy.
This year we have decided on a new location which hosted Fish TV for a couple of days.
Check out Waterfalls lodge, just west of Sudbury about an hour.
It is situated on 5 lakes all interconnected and you have the choice of Pike, Walleye. Lake Trout, Small Mouth Bass, and Pan Fish.
You have your choice of 3 plans and a boat is involved for under a grand a week.
Not overrun with idiots on skidoos.
beeman
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by beeman »

plncrzy wrote:I am going to CUP lake Saskatchewan... A trophy PIKE, Lake Trout AND walleye lake... rare to have that combination.

This is about 100 km from where I am going to start the canoe trip ! ! !
Dan Smyth
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Dan Smyth »

I have been going to the Gouin Reservoir for the last few years.m We book with an outfitter at Nemio Lodge.

This will be outside your 8 hour drive as it is about that long from Ottawa but it is well worth the extra travel.

They have a coice of plans available which you can check out on GOOGLE.
Just type in NEMIO and their web site will come up.

Target species are walleye and pike and believe me there are lots of both.
Average walleye of 2 to 3 pounds and lots of pike over 10.

Take a look. You won't be disappointed.
plncrzy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by plncrzy »

beeman wrote:
plncrzy wrote:I am going to CUP lake Saskatchewan... A trophy PIKE, Lake Trout AND walleye lake... rare to have that combination.

This is about 100 km from where I am going to start the canoe trip ! ! !
I have fished MANY spots in Northern Sask.... bring LOTS of leaders as the pike in that part of the country are as numerous as the bass are here, and you will go threough 6 leaders a day easily. :D when are you going? .... OH yea... dont forget to bring a fly rod or a light rod for Arctic greyling .... They are Amazing fish to catch!
Joisey Joe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Joisey Joe »

Every Memorial day weekend my buds and I head up to Gananoque Lake for some pike, in the summer there are lots of bass, large and small there but no eyes. We stay at Griffin's cottages on the lake and rent boats. Where ever you go have a great time.

Plow, how the hell are ya bud? Have fun with your trip and send pix! Joe.
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

If the price limit was under $1400 and an 8 hour drive, this is where I would fish.
http://www.truenorthairservice.com/More ... ishing.htm

It's a fly-in and you have to bring your food. But if that were my limitations I wouldn't think twice.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Just looking forward to opening up and settling into the cottage for the spring/summer season on Wolfe Lake. I absolutely can't wait!!!... (but have to, anyway :lol: ).

Usually, we'll pull the boat out and try a few surrounding lakes during the course of the summer, like Devil, Charleston, Pike, the Rideau, etc.

It's always fun to try a new place as well, and Brian especially likes to do this; so this summer, I imagine we'll pick a new lake within a stones-throw from Wolfe and check it out. There's so many to pick from. :D

W.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

I think I'd second what Scuro says...

Otherwise, I'd like to try Napken Lake for that price too.
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

Annual trips account for some of my favorite trips of the year.
  • - Spring Salmon Slammin out of Port Weller
    - Bass Opener w/ Dad and the Boys (different loc'n each year)
    - Eastern Ontario Bass G2G August Long Weekend (Toob and I have a title to defend)
    - "Out of the Lift Bridge" Annual Salmon Tournie in September
    - 6th Annual December Ice Up Walleye Madness