Fishing close to St.Lawrence College Kingston

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
ejw88
Participant
Participant

Fishing close to St.Lawrence College Kingston

Post by ejw88 »

Hello everyone,

I'm new to board looks like a great site! I'm currently taking medical lab science at St. Lawrence and was wondering if there's any spots that are close by that offer reasonable fishing. I'm not looking for anything huge or special just to get out on the ice. I've fished a small lake in Verona a few times and only have a few small perch to show for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have all the equipment but clueless as to where to go.

Thanks,
Eric
Superdad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Kingston winter Fishing

Post by Superdad »

If you have wheels, you would be able to hit the Bay of Quinte, 45-50 mins west of Kingston.

There is also some ice fishing up on Loughborough Lake, up Division street.

Hope that gets you started.

David aka Superdad
Kingston
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

Are you able to get out north of Kingston? You say you have fished in Verona, there are lots of great lakes in that area.

orrsey
hook&shoot
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hook&shoot »

I have never fished but near Verona is a lake called Canoe lake I hear mentioned alot. I beleive you can access it via the Newboro road from either Crosby or Verona side. Supposed to be good for hardwater.
H&S
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

If you have wheels, the folks have already suggested some good choices.

If not, I have often seen folks fishing up into the Cataraqui north of the Lasalle Causeway on the west side. There are sizeable pike, walleye and panfish in there, and the ice should be good. The current is primarily on the east side and should be avoided.

Doug
Billy Dee
Participant
Participant

Post by Billy Dee »

Doug wrote:If you have wheels, the folks have already suggested some good choices.

If not, I have often seen folks fishing up into the Cataraqui north of the Lasalle Causeway on the west side. There are sizeable pike, walleye and panfish in there, and the ice should be good. The current is primarily on the east side and should be avoided.

Doug
You could also try the bay near the tracks and the outlet of the Little Cataraqui river by the Invista/Dupont plant. It is just west of the school on Front street (I think it's front street there) Many shore fishers there during open water times and some boats from time to time.

There is an ice hut out on the Cataraqui river just off of the marina near the causeway and there have been guys out on ice at most times of the day there. They must be getting something.

I was wondering if there were any walleye in that area. I trolled around the causeway a few times last spring and only hooked into perch. I see people fishing from the shore there at night in the summer and assumed that they were after walleye, but haven't found any for myself... YET.

Good luck and stay warm,
Billy.
ejw88
Participant
Participant

Post by ejw88 »

thanks for the responses. I do have wheels so I'm flexible as to where I can fish. I'll be trying Loughborough Lake on Saturday and I'll try the Lasalle cause way on Sunday. Hopefully I do good. Just bought a new Marcum Lx-3tc so I'll be trying to figure out how to use that.
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

If you go to Loughborough, go up Sydenham St to Loughborough Drive at Kepler and park somewhere where there is NOT a no parking sign. :roll:

There are shacks close to shore to the south of the launch ramp, but I suggest you walk out about four hundred yards on the North side (there was one shack out there two days ago) and fish out from the creek in about 20 to 40 FOW. There is an underwater finger that sticks out, just west of the creek, goes from very shallow to 40 FOW in about 25 or so yards. You may have to drill a few holes to find it, but it sounds like you have a good graph.

GOOD LUCK! Two days ago the lakers were taking 3.5" white tube jigs with a dead minnow.

Doug