Our Ontario Waters

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fish_man_dude
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Our Ontario Waters

Post by fish_man_dude »

We should all be concerned about our future fishery. I certainly am...I wanted to know what people in ontario think about our fisheries at present.....and what should be done to make them better in the near future. Post all ur ideas plz...
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

After the past few weeks on our waters (Ottawa Area) I'd say our fishery is in great shape...numbers of fish are being caught...and some size as well....I think bass tournament guys will echo my sentiment as bag size has been good over the past few years...

As far as improving it, I personally would like to see more MNR presence...I don't think the problem is hard-core anglers...it is the shore fisherman who fish without licences and carry a pail and keep everything that swims in it for the skillet....while I have no problem with people keeping fish at all....minimum size limits are there for a reason...

I think they should raise the license cost...to a $100 a year...and put that money to good use so we could see the effect...though counting on the government to do that would be sketchy at best.... :roll:

my .02 RJ
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

Well RJ

I agree with you that I would pay more for a fishing licence. Frankly, they are not very expensive anyway and the extra revenue could go towards more enforcement.

The problem in this country is that you cannot swing a dead cat without hitting a lying politician. This new health care premium is dedicated towards health care. Would an increased licence cost be dedicated to enforcement, stocking programs, etc. or just go into the general melting pot of government revenue?

Mick
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

Change the the slot limits to protect the spawners not the juvenile fish. Right now it seems to be the other way around.
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Ontario fisheries

Post by Cancatchbass »

I believe our fisheries in Ontario are doing just fine. Those who feel our waters are not overly productive should try fishing in other parts of North America. Why are there line-ups at the border all season long of U.S. anglers coming to Ontario? Because the fishing is s-o-o much better here than in almost all the states.

A group of American anglers came to a lodge on the St. Lawrence for opening weekend and caught (and released) over 600 pike in 2 days. Some locals say the pike fishing in the river is dead. Go figure. Maybe they need lessons from our American friends. :lol:

While we definitely need more funding for enforcement, I think the province is doing a decent job. With the exception of acknowledging and dealing with the cormorant situation, that is. :twisted:

What slot limits are you referring to Saskie? Most of our species and waters have no slot limits.

CCB
jazman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

CO's

Post by jazman »

Ok, enforcement talk.

I may get beaten up over this one but how about making CO's commission based? base pay of 25k a year and 20% of collected fines. Of course I would worry about guys being too over zealous, warnings would disappear for the most part - is that a good thing, might be. (again in reference to another post concerning a 250 fine - the fine was out of line with the infraction)

It has to hurt people in their pockets to get them to listen.
old guy
Participant
Participant

Post by old guy »

An interesting and controversial topic. Raising the fee for fishing will not result in less people fishing but simply fewer people will bother getting a lisence. Chances of getting checked for a license are similar to those of winning the 649.
The question is - Will Ontario's fisheries' people study the policies in BC? Perhaps its time to go to single hooks, no barbs. This certainly makes catch and release easier.
If you fish BC, you need many different licenses. A license for the salt chuck, another for fresh water, another for catching salmon in fresh water, another for catching certain spiecies of trout in certain lakes. In other words, one pays big bucks in BC to support the recreational fisheries.
Should Ontario follow suit and make it manditory to have separate lisences for muskie, salmon or what ever. Discussions like this open the door to more questions rather than answer questions. Questions, all worthy of discussion.
Keep the hooks sharp.
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

Walleye slots. So far the lakes I've noticed that have them only allow you to keep a fish OVER a certain size (14-20in depending where you're fishing). That will protect the juveniles to ensure they reach adulthood - ok, fine.

But once they reach adulthood and spawning age (2yrs) they lose their protection under the slot and can be removed. Thus the natural reproductive capacity of the lake is diminished. Just like other game species, if you want to increase the population rule #1 is protect the breeding stock.

I know I sound like a stuck record sometimes bragging up Sask, but it's where 99% of my fishing experience comes from. On the Sask river they have a slot too - no walleye between 24-30" may be kept, and only one over 30. Even keeping one over 30 is seriously frowned on and there is a lot of "social pressure" from locals and outfitters to discourage this. I can definitely testify that the Sask River (particularly in between Tobin and Codette Lakes) is a world class walleye fishery where double digit walleye are a daily event, and +5 lb fish are routine. You'll also catch as many as you want under 24" for shore lunch.
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

The Nipawin Pike festival runs pretty much all summer on Tobin and Codette Lakes, and the portion of the Sask River between them. Here's last years results: This is just what outfitters caught and registered for the "fish of the day/week" trophy. It generally doesn't include locals or non-pike festival entries.

http://www.nipawin.com/pikefestival/reports.php
Legend
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Ontario Fishing

Post by Legend »

:) For the most part, fishing in Ontario is pretty good if not excellent.

However, there are a few pet peeves that cause my blood pressure to top out.

1) People who keep absolulely everything they catch.
I used to fish the dams in places like Hastings at a time when the Pickerel and Smallie action was simply amazing. In recent years, I've seen people walking around with your basic roofing bucket keeping 4 inch fish. :x
Nowadays there is virtually no action at all in Hastings... Ecept at the local diner, but that's another story.

2) People, particularly commercial fishermen who complain about Cormarants.

I could write a book on this one, the bottom line is Cormarants are part of the ecosystem and there are plenty of fish to go around. Just because these birds get caught up in your fishing nets and require some extra intervention on the net owners part... Too bad.

And a final thought, who comes up with the list of supposed "Game" fish anyway?
Many of the fish being caught by fishermen and especially kids don't make the list. What do you think a youngster would rather have on the end of his line, a 2 lb Pickerel or a 8 lb. Carp? (Pickerel as an eatin' fish notwithstanding)

Overall fishing in this province is good, but with a little more selective and targeted enforcement, a return to the glory days could be possible.

:) Legend
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Whoa!!!!

Post by Cancatchbass »

Hold on there, Legend!

Cormorants are part of the ecosystem and people shouldn't complain about them? Plenty of fish to go around?

Wow. Do some research before you make comments like that, please.

They are part of the ecosystem the same way purple loosestrife, round gobies, zebra mussels, spiny water fleas, etc. are part of the ecosystem.

They are an out of control invasive species. Period.

CCB- Enough said. My blood is boiling now! :x
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

heh heh! :lol: I could have set my watch to this response!

Go easy on him CCB, he missed all the winter debates.
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Markus-

Post by Cancatchbass »

Markus- I actually went for a little walk to calm down after that last post. :lol:

Then I thought- 'Markus will be in there like a shot, thinking how predictable I am!' Looks like I called that one. :lol:

While I was walking I also gave some thought to the commercial fishermen part of that post. I know some commercial fishermen. They are among the hardest-working people on this earth. They are out in the worst weather, from daybreak, in conditions most of us wouldn't dream of putting up with in small open boats.

Like recreational anglers, they require licenses and must follow strict regulations. Unlike recreational anglers, they fish for a living. Most are 3rd or 4th (or more) generation commercial fishermen and know no other way of life.

Unfortunately, they are easy targets. I've heard stories of huge piles of dead gamefish found downstream from their nets. Stories of them keeping gamefish they catch in their nets. All garbage. I know because I routinely check their nets and I watch how the catch is handled. Yet the stories persist.

To get back on topic (at least partways :lol: ) if commercial fishermen have problems with cormorants destroying their nets, they have a right to get upset. These invaders, in addition to the damage they cause to their nets, (not a problem locally, by the way) are also threatening their livelihood. Completely ignoring the massive numbers of gamefish they eat, they also seriously deplete the yellow perch populations in areas where they are abundant.

CCB
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry CCB, I had to get it in there.

In regards to Commercial fishing, I grew up in a fishing comunity where commercial fishing is a way of life. A lot of my family are commercial fisherman.

I respect both auguments on this issue, but I do believe the great lakes should close commercial fishing...or at least minumize catch quota's to make it an unattractive way of life and discourage younger genations from choosing it as a career.
Legend
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Ontario Fishing

Post by Legend »

:D Listen, this is an opinion from a guy who lives in a free country. Whatever you do, don't assume I'm any more right or any more wrong than the next guy, it's just a perspective.

Comarants do indeed have a right to be here, as any species has such a right. When I went to the fishing show this year I was almost hi-jacked as I walked through the front doors by the OFAH on the issue of Cormarants. It's one of the reasons I choose to not be part of the organization, simply because I do not want to give the OFAH proxy for me on the issue.

There are many conditions that affect so-called game fish besides Cormarants... Acid Rain, Farming, Global Warming, Industry, Freighters bringing in a variety of biological nuisances, etc.

Are we to believe that these birds are the only things that affect populations of game fish?

Long Point bay is teeming with Perch, Bass, Pike etc. and yes, you'll see the Cormarants out at Bluff Bar with the rest of us.

I don't want to get you or anyone upset, but why aren't we seeing groups like the OFAH banging down the doors of all the other anti-game fish contingencies? Or maybe we need to start looking at ourselves first. How about those big SUV's and bad boy boats we use, do they not also contribute in some way to the reduction of stocks.

It's just an opinion.

:) Legend