Does anybody still like it old school?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Does anybody still like it old school?

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Hello fellow F-H'ers!

I have a question,

I'm guilty of it too. Fish-finders, GPS etc. What I want to know is does anyone still love "just wetting a line and exploring?"

Nothing was better this summer then heading out in the 16ft tinny along the Mississippi tributaries up by Dalhousie and just exploring and fishing.

Granted some days were real slow, but it didn't matter! The anticipation and the adventure were well worth it!

Anybody els still like it this way?( even if from time to time!)

-J
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

Absolutely. When I fish alone (which is about 1/3 of my time on the water) I "explore" nearly 100% of the time. Most of my explorations are to fish slop and wood I have seen but never fished.
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

Well..........

When we fish out of the canoe it is pretty basic - no electronics for sure, BUT I still use modern equipment and technology like scent/flavour-infused soft plastics (Gulp, Power Bait, etc) and not a willow gad, bent safety pin and worm. :wink:

And back lakes where we haul in a small cartopper are generally explored without electronics either.

Ice fishing I walk to my spots, and sit in the open on a five gallon bucket, that is pretty basic too I reckon.

But if I am bass fishing on bigger water, well..............electronics are my friend! It's all about balance, right?

Doug
RobM
Participant
Participant

Post by RobM »

I definitely take a back to basics approach. I also carry my ice fishing gear in a 5 gallon pail and also use that as my seat. Though I do occasionally steal my buddy's sonar when he isn't looking. :)

In the summer I spend a lot of time canoeing and most of my fishing is from a canoe. No electronics, though I did outfit the canoe with rod holders. ;) I am building a cedar strip canoe and it should be ready for the spring. I expect I will be fishing from it quite a bit this year (assuming it floats).

The best fishing I had this year was walking the shoreline of rivers deep in Algonquin Park and fishing the rapids for brookies. That was the most fun I have had in a while.

The only exception is walleye fishing with my friend in his 16 footer. Sonar can be so useful for walleye / lakers, etc.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Oh no doubt!

The intent of my post was not "willow gad and safety pins".
The use of new rods and reels and infused plastics is fine.

The reason I ask is there is so much reliance of electronics. I even saw a device the other day that will supposedly choose the correct lure color for the water you are fishing.

Now I know we all want to catch the big one, and sometimes the use of electronics is there to make it easier (like trolling for muskies). My point is that as we get older and our incomes grow it seems we end up buying alot of these electronics and I am just wondering how many are just a gimmick?

I mean if all you want is a fish/finder or depth finder. Why do you need a $3000 unit?

I'm only asking a question here before I have my head bit off as usual!
Bruin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bruin »

I definately do....

I really enjoy bobbing around in a tinny with my 4 year old daughter....When I watch her I seem to notice "Nature" more....She points out all kinds of things that after years of seeing them, I take for granted

I figure that she should learn the basics before the sponsors kick in my door, looking for her signature in crayon :D
Wader75
Participant
Participant

Post by Wader75 »

I tend to go "old school". I don't have any electronics. During the summer most of my fishing involves wading in the Rideau or Ottawa rivers, so no need for electronics there. In the winter I drill a couple of holes, try fishing at different depths and then move on if the fish aren't biting. I'm thinking though, that a flasher would boost my success rate during hardwater season. Or at least save me some time. But since I'm on foot for 99% of my fishing, portability is a key concern for me, so I tend to travel light.
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

With a '92 boat, motor & trailer and no GPS I believe I kinda live old school to a point.

I have a 90's Eagle LCR on the back of the boat and "Lassie", my beloved Humminbird Super 60II flasher on the bowmount trolling motor.

I fished a new to me body of water last season and I really liked that. No preconceptions, no "milk run"......just awsome!

I plan to explore The St. Lawrence River around Rockport this year.

DropShot'r
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

What do you mean by "old school." You mean to tell me there is a "new school." :lol:

I don't know fishing any other way Jamsers. My finder comes out maybe twice a year for the heckuvit. I did upgrade to a power auger three years ago though, got real tired of hand drilling through 4 feet of ice. :roll: Two holes sometimes an hour later and I was whipped and dripping. :(
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

back to Moosebunk.........

I was up your way this past summer (via Polar Bear Express), and I reckon you folks have four feet of ice starting in about September and lasting until about May............ :shock:

Met lots of folk on Moose Factory that have been to Kingston (where I live) for various medical appointments - first time I learned that Kingston is partnered with Moose Factory/Moosonnee for medical stuff.

Doug
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Awsome!

It just seems that everything is going digital.
Everytime I go out its new trolling motor this, new fish-finder that.

Look I realize we aren't primitive (I'd never resort to spear hunting!).
But I do have alot of fun when I need to rely on instinct rather than machine.

I guess this thought all stems from watching a fishing show the other week where they were "frogging" in canoes for bass.

Don't get me wrong I like the new age of fishing, especially when out for walleye or lakers. But on the other hand sometimes its nice to get out with the tent and canoe!

For the record: I do very much envy you Moosebunk! One day I too hope to catch Arctic Char in their element and whack a Bullwinkle at the same time....till then I just catch em at the Trout pond.....
Abraxus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Old School

Post by Abraxus »

Up until about a year ago, I did everyting old school. I didnt have any electronics in my 14ft boat, nor anything advanced besides my rods and reels.

Back then, I had a lot of great days and a lot of suck @#$ days! lol
Having said this, now having had the pleasure of using modern day technology I would have to say, there is no turning back! As nice as it is to think of those more simple times, that all goes out the window when I recall how terrified I use to be when navigating waters I did not know or trying to get into the shallows without a depth finder or trolling motor!

Lets face it, when you have a piece of machinery on the back of your boat that costs anywhere between $3000.00 to $25,000.00 or more, not having the ability to know what is below you at all times can certainly take the fun out of your day. One bad decision or moment of careless behaviour in a new boat, can cost you a lot of greif and tears.

As for exploring and taking it old school, I will leave that to the days when I go fly fishing on a river. As for boating, you would have to pry my Lowrance from my cold dead fingers before I would hit water without it! lol

Ab
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

jamser.

i think old shool is great.

fishing is supose to be relaxing.

wen you start to get all toy electronivs and all..and you see fish in it and they dont bite you start to get.. :x .......not mutch relaxing. :lol:

or why a 200hp and more to go get a couple off bass so far away on the water...why not a bobber at the end off the dock. :lol:

i love more and more simplicity..canoe or kayak..no noise and basic fishing.

but dont get me wrong do like a vex for fishing for some species on ice.

some eletronic are good tools...but those 3000$ you talk about are not worth there $.

good tread.

good old timmer ......bamboo rod and a can off worm did well in there time. 8)

and still could do good wit a can off worm or live minnows..why do we have a couple tackle box full off stuff we dont use. :oops:

same for going in the snow jamser...why a huge bullet snowmobile..nothing wrong wit a pair off snowshoe... 8) :lol: :lol:

joco
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Joco beat me to it!....Why do you need a 1000cc sled and an 800 cc Quad?.... :lol:

I've always thought electronics were overated....I never fish for walleye so in the summer months I rarely turn mine on at all.....I fished many days at Quinte in the fall without even turning my Humminbird on....it made absolutely no difference catch rate wise...

I really think people rely on them too much at times...and it really just gives them something to stare at... :lol:

Now...on ice....I won't fish without it... :oops:

RJ
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

LOL!!!

Hey I never said I didn't like my toys!

All I asked was putting more of the sport and intuition back into it.
Hell we wouldn't be around today if we needed rifles and fishfinders!

But life is much easier with the gadgets.

I guess my point is I had alot of fun this summer touring around looking for and fishing back lakes. Most of the time with nothing more than nightcrawlers or minnows and a hook.

It was alot of fun, very quite and relaxing too!