Green Lake?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Rico
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Green Lake?

Post by Rico »

Has anyone ever fished green lake outside of almonte?
I was told it was a small little lake past almonte about 8 minutes when your heading through the town. Any directions would be helpful.
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Green Lake

Post by Jigs »

Rico:

Sorry. Looked at my Backroad Mapbook, and can't find it. 8 minutes from Almonte puts you in various areas. Can you be more specific about the direction, etc., and I will give it another look?

Regards: Jigs.
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

Take the 511 to flower station road, proceed a few miles down the road and take the dirt road on the right about 200 yards before where the power lines cross.
Rico
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rico »

Thanks alot! Any success? Also what species is inhabiting the lake?
jsdx
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

fish in green lake

Post by jsdx »

brookies,
pike
smallmouth

regs for the lake (green lake/lavant twp) also show a live fish bait ban.

addendum - I can personally vouch for catfish in the lake also
Last edited by jsdx on Mon May 24, 2004 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rico
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rico »

Is their much of a population of brookies in the lake? Seems to me with bass and pike it would be slim pickings
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Green Lake

Post by Jigs »

:roll:

Oh, THAT Green Lake.........Coulda took ya to that one.

Near Almonte??.........relatively speaking I suppose

Hava good one :wink:

Rico
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rico »

Well I went up to green lake to fish from shore.I fished the little river going into it with no success, but two river chubb. I however did talk to another angler who informed me that he had caught two small brookies and on a previous trip caught a two pounder out of the creek mouth. Nice lake though, I'll have to take the boat next time.
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Green Lake

Post by Jigs »

Rico:

Sorry I wasen't more help. Its a real nice area, but gets fished really heavily. Worth the trip just for the scenery I guess............Better be :roll:

In this Eastern Ont. watershed, I'm starting to believe, you should pick a trip, go there, fish, enjoy the day, cause there ain't too many spots that haven't been hammered. If you luck in, good; if not; hey, hopefully there's a tomorrow. :)

I grow philisophical in my old age.............. :oops:

Canadian Wiggler
Participant
Participant

Post by Canadian Wiggler »

I've fished Green lake quite a few times from shore and from a canoe.I've never had too much luck, a few small brookies but that's about it.It seems to be a fairly sterile lake with a lot of stunted rock bass and little vegitation.The person who mentioned fishing pressure was bang on.About 10 years ago I was there with my dad, we had been there the day before and the stocking truck was there.The next day when we got there we find two guys who must have been in their 70's or 80's sitting in lawn chairs with a fire going .They are sitting right where the truck had pumped out the fingerlings, catching these 3 inch brookies one after another and tossing them into the pan.I can only imagine how many they ate just that day, nevermind every other time they had been there.
bobfly
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

old fogies

Post by bobfly »

I don't care if they were old guys, I would have taken their license number and reported them. Isn't there a minimum size limit around here? There is a bad attitude around here what with ice fishing still allowed on small lakes and then these two old farts eating 3 inch trout. Once I saw an oriental family hauling buckets of bass out of the Mississippi and I reported them to no avail. Next time no air in their tires! Sorry for the rant...even after a great fish on the Mississippi tonight.

bobfly :twisted:
Muskiemagnet
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Muskiemagnet »

Bobfly has a point. Maybe the MNR should consider not releasing the stocking lists to the public. I know its a "put and take fishery" but when just a couple of people can "take" all the fish, its not doing the job. Countless lakes in the Calabogie region are raped every winter by meat catchers (not fisherman), who go lake by lake, day by day with the stocking list in one hand and the map book in the other. I've seen 5 gallon pails filled with 5-10" specs and rainbows. These fish are very aggressive and easy to catch. I'd love to see some grow to 1lb at least.
Canadian Wiggler
Participant
Participant

Re: old fogies

Post by Canadian Wiggler »

bobfly wrote:I don't care if they were old guys, I would have taken their license number and reported them. Isn't there a minimum size limit around here? There is a bad attitude around here what with ice fishing still allowed on small lakes and then these two old farts eating 3 inch trout. Once I saw an oriental family hauling buckets of bass out of the Mississippi and I reported them to no avail. Next time no air in their tires! Sorry for the rant...even after a great fish on the Mississippi tonight.

bobfly :twisted:
The problem with that is that they had either walked in or been dropped off.If we could have gotten the plates we certainly would have.
jsdx
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

MNR Stocking lists

Post by jsdx »

Muskiemagnet wrote:Bobfly has a point. Maybe the MNR should consider not releasing the stocking lists to the public. I know its a "put and take fishery" but when just a couple of people can "take" all the fish, its not doing the job. Countless lakes in the Calabogie region are raped every winter by meat catchers (not fisherman), who go lake by lake, day by day with the stocking list in one hand and the map book in the other. I've seen 5 gallon pails filled with 5-10" specs and rainbows. These fish are very aggressive and easy to catch. I'd love to see some grow to 1lb at least.
The MNR do delay the release of the list for one year after the lakes are stocked as an attempt to give the fish a chance however many of these lakes have been stocked before so its not hard to guess which ones are being stocked.

In my opinion, some of the put-grow-take lakes should be C&R only despite the fact that the fish don't reproduce. This should satisfy the fishermen want to catch bigger fish and would be willing to forgoe the eating part.