CATFISH (again)

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

CATFISH (again)

Post by Jigs »

:roll:

Went up to Fitzroy Harbour Prov. Park yesterday.

Put the canoe in at their boat launch and fished mostly out in front of the launch, and the quiet bay which goes to the left. The Ottawa is in full flood with trees along the shore standing in about 3 ft. of water, and the current in the main river a tad to fast for my paddling abilities. That hydro dam across the river is impressive (talk about a rooster tail, shooting about 100 ft. in the air)

Anyway, used cut bait shiners and succeeded in catching only hammerhandle pike, so switched to a jig with big glob of worms and started to connect with the channel cats. Caught 4.

They filleted out nice, and we plan to cookem using "Cajun Fish Crisp"; unless anyone with some catfish experience has a better idea. I'm open to suggestions as these are the first I've ever caught.

Also, based on what I've read on this board and others, 4 would seem like a paltry number (fine for me), but based on the apparent number of catfish in the area, I expected to set the water on fire :shock: .

Did I go to the right spot?? Better to have gone on to Arnprior?? Did I use the right bait?? Commercial baits better?? Any info really appreciated.

The time frame was from 9AM to 12Noon on a sunny day, so I figure I did OK..........? :?

They are an impressive fish, very streamlined, these were about 16", nice fight on 6# test. Those big forked tails pretty cool 8)

Any helpful hints anyone feels like sharing, chuck em here.

With thanks: Jigs. :)
Kingmann
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Kingmann »

Jigs, I normally use worm when fishing for cats. I do also use minnows, however I don't use commercial bait. How much water were you in?

JasonM
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Catfish

Post by Jigs »

Dang!!

All that info and I forgot the water depth....... :oops: .........Very turbid and from 4 to about 10 or 12 ft. Got most of the hits in the middle of the channell, so would be about 10 ft., possibly a bit less.

Regards: Jigs.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Jigs, cajun fish crisp is great! You'll love it. I just cleaned a few myself and they're off to the smoke house.

The ones we we're catching today were extremly powerful. If we were in a canoe, I have no doubt they would have been able to pull us around the lake. :lol:
Kingmann
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Kingmann »

JIgs, it sounds like you were doing things right. I guess they were just shy.

Markus, those are nice Cats!

JasonM
Rob
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rob »

chicken livers work well also! Let them sit out side for a couple of days prior to use, they get hard and stay on the hook better! Word of caution If you do leave them out for a couple of days, they will really start to smell bad, ( Good for cats, bad for nose ).
slushpuppy
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by slushpuppy »

hooked on fishing (HOF) wrote:Good for cats, bad for nose
.... like every cat (the furry kind) from the neighbourhood will be at your door wanting some. :lol:
Rob
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rob »

If you dont like your neighbour, leave it in his yard! :lol:
Steve G
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Steve G »

Markus

If you still need your fill of cats, you try something more local.

June 9 to June 13
Dunnville's 30th Annual Mudcat Festival

Wingfield Park & other locations around town
Parade, midway, fireworks, dances, magician, cruise night, strong man contest, duck & canoe races, reptile show, bed races, musical acts, pony rides & food. Something for everyone.
Almost every event free.

905-774-3183
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Catfish

Post by Jigs »

:D

Hey, :shock: ,Thanks for all the info............. :lol: .........would like to see the look on buddies face......... :x .........leave it in your neighbours yard.......... :( ......lol.........tks again.........

Jigs. :)
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Catfish

Post by Jigs »

:D

Hey, :shock: ,Thanks for all the info............. :lol: .........would like to see the look on buddies face......... :x .........leave it in your neighbours yard.......... :( ......lol.........tks again.........

Jigs. :)