Ottawa River in Arnprior

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
hawgwild
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Ottawa River in Arnprior

Post by hawgwild »

Hi, I'm new to the board. I've posted a couple times but never anything serious. I thought that since everyone else is sharing spots, tips, techniques and what have you, that I would try and share aswell. So hopefully, this all comes out well.

Went out this afternoon in Arnprior on the Ottawa. Caught 4 keepers, nothing major. The biggest was just over 2 lbs. Caught them at the mouth of the Madawaska. There was about 4 boats there and everyone had some.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

walleye we can assume?

Was the dam open?...was the water high?...just curious..

Whatcha get em on?

RJ
hawgwild
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hawgwild »

Yes they were all Walleyes.

The weir was open and running wide open. The water was very high. If you launch at the weir, the water is as high as the wooden wall at the launch.

They were all caught on either 1/4 oz black jig with a 3" pumpkinseed power grub or 1/4 firetiger jig with medium sized minnows. We were sitting in 23 ft. of water and casting into the current from the open weir. the water temp was 49.2 degrees.

On another note, there is another launch besides the one at the weir. If you turn right after St. Andrews united church and follow that road to the end there is a newly built ramp there with a nice dock. The other benefit is that you don't get the full force of the current from the weir when you launch or load your boat.
Smitty
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Fished the Ottawa Friday night

Post by Smitty »

There where 4 guys in our boat - all using jigs with minnows....we caught about 25 walleye - 10 of which where keepers - the biggest was 4.6 lbs.

The funny thing was - we where fishing in 4 feet of water...I believe the fish where there because of the warm water....it was 46F in the main river - the bay we where in was 52F - that big of a change really turned them on.....guys in a boat across from us caught about 10 pike - the biggest one being 9.6 lbs.

Great night out once the wind calmed down....good start to the year.
hawgwild
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hawgwild »

Sounds like you got them good. It seems more and more I'm hearing about the walleyes being caught in shallow water. Will have to try that out this week sometime.

Where abouts on the Ottawa were you fishing??
Smitty
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Smitty »

We where fishing near the Braeside islands - on the Quebec side....in a back bay - sorry I can't be more specific - but I am really not sure exactly where we were - I have only fished there a few times.
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

warm shallow water = minnows
minnows = feeding walleye
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

I was out at the Ottawa River near the mouth this morning (pre dawn) and caught a few eyes casting a 5a Bomber from shore. Once the sun was up and quickly turning over-cast i switched to 5/8 ounce hair jigs dragged across the bottom for a few more eyes. The only other guy out was in a Sylvan/Merc package.

I was having a blast before the East wind and rain showed up. All eyes were released.

Slop.
If Winnipeg gets a hockey team, Toronto will want one too.....