Circle Hooks Good Bad Ok Whats everyones Opinion

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
mudboy68
Participant
Participant

Circle Hooks Good Bad Ok Whats everyones Opinion

Post by mudboy68 »

I have been reading alot about Circle Hooks of late and was looking for some opinions.

I am a firm believer in catch and release. Only keep what your gonna eat for dinner that day.

I've looked for them to try here in Southern Ontario but can't seem to find them.

I know they are an older technology has anyone used them with success??

They supposedly assist in conservation efforts by almost eliminating the chance of the fish swallowing the hook and causing fatal damage during removal leaving the fish to come back to be caught again another day.

Comments ???

Cheers
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

They are available at any tackle shop in the city. Just bought a few packs at Bits and Baits myself. They are widely used for wacky rigging senkos. I have never heard any cons to using circle hooks at all, they get lip hooked everytime.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I use circle hooks for a lot of setups. I use them for catfish and the cats just hook themselves. I love using them on my tip ups with a lightly hooked minnow. Walleyes hook themselves up also.
rfunfarm

Post by rfunfarm »

great for the little kids too--no need to "set the hook" & easy hook removal
kingston-Mike
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by kingston-Mike »

Use them exclusively with senko's for the last 3 years for bass.. no cons to report.

-michel
gonefishin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by gonefishin »

rfunfarm wrote:great for the little kids too--no need to "set the hook" & easy hook removal
That's good info...I will definately pickup a pack to use when I take my kids fishing...
Joey Rat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Circle hooks

Post by Joey Rat »

I picked up a package of red bleeding bait Diachi circle hooks at Manotick Bait on Saturday and rigging senkos wacky is exactly the plan. The slop on the Rideau is so thick I may need to tie a drop shot rig with a 1 oz weight to get it though the weeds next time I go out.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

I love using them if I'm fishing with my spinning rig. The only con is that the fish has to take your bait and swim away from you in order for the hook to set properly. If he doesn't turn away from you, odds are that you'll simply pull your bait out of his mouth without having the hook engage.
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Chevy Champagne »

best hook off all 8)
Jasonb
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jasonb »

Definatly has a thumbs up in my books... love 'em for cats in the spring and fall...

JaY
TrollingThunder
Participant
Participant

Post by TrollingThunder »

Definatley a must-have in your tackle box, I've only used them for wacky-rigging and minnows the odd time, and they've worked quite well
OBD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by OBD »

I mostly use circle hooks for waky-rigging worms when im not in the weeds... sure you'll get sometimes fish that swallowed them but that means that they're somewhat aggressive, therefore giving me a hint to switch to something a bit faster like a spinnerbait or topwater. Just my 2 cents...
Musky51
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Musky51 »

caught a 51" cuda on one and have used them on sharks before... right in the corner of the mouth
bm_attar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bm_attar »

I use them mostly for the kids gear, and they seem to catch a lot of crappies, so no complaints there.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

They're also a great replacement hook for the Lindy walleye rigs.