Burritts Rapids carp

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
kbrant
Participant
Participant

Burritts Rapids carp

Post by kbrant »

I was recently in Burritts rapids by the dam at the end of the trail that begins at the Masonic Temple.

Below the dam I saw well over a dozen monster carp I have never seen them this big I would speculate 40 pounds some of them.

I threw a lot of lures and jigs at them and got nothing. I could see them ignoring my offerings as the water is maybe four feet deep.

I am assuming bait would have to be used. Just wondering if anyone has fished here for these monsters and what to use?

Thanks
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

small egg sinker....swivel, 8 inches of line, hook with corn on it. Toss out lots of corn first, finally post pics!
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Let me know what ends up working for you.................

I need to catch one of those '' Monsters '' this year

Corn ,worms, carp bait etc
Tonyb
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

carp bait

Post by Tonyb »

Nibblits corn works fine BUT you need a hair rig, google it, but you have the corn on a piece of line below the hook. When the carp take the corn they catch the hook on their lip.

It may take a while but when they take the bait, you had better hang on to your rod. They will easily take your whole rod and reel.

Good luck,

OhYea, Shoot out lots of corn where you will be letting you hook sit.

If you want to catch 40 lb carp on a semi-regular basis, look up the Canadian Carp Club in Ingleside. Near Cornwall. He has all the gear, bait, and knowledge. Ask for Jeff.

Tony
Jackel
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jackel »

Don't know about 40 pounders on semi-regular bases but 30's are possible.

Here's a 35.2 mirror carp from last weekend.

Jackel 8)
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Cripes Alain, what a pig :shock:
gerrymackenzie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by gerrymackenzie »

Now that is a fish! That thing is huge !!!!
jcorrigan
Participant
Participant

Post by jcorrigan »

Lots of monster sized Carp down at the end of Gan River, right below the dam at Main Street. I've wondered about these prehistoric looking beasts but never actually caught one...do they put up a big fight or come in like a wet log?

Anybody eaten one?
Sof
Participant
Participant

Post by Sof »

jcorrigan wrote:Lots of monster sized Carp down at the end of Gan River, right below the dam at Main Street. I've wondered about these prehistoric looking beasts but never actually caught one...do they put up a big fight or come in like a wet log?

Anybody eaten one?
You talking like down by the river across from the Badger there?

I caught a 10lb 4oz one closer to the GTO gas station last summer. Awesome fight, ran and up down the river like 5 - 6 times peeling line and then splashed the hell out of me when I thought it was done half way through the fight. Fought it for probably 8 - 10 mins on 30lb braid, medium-heavy action rod w/ an abu garcia C3 bait casting reel and I was horsing it in. You'll ocassionally get the lazy one, but even then once they get close to shore and realize something isn't right they'll go ape crap lol.
TrollingThunder
Participant
Participant

Post by TrollingThunder »

Never caught a carp in my life, however, opening day for musky last weekend I was on the water at 5 in the morning (yes I am a bit insane haha) but I must have seen tons of carp jumping all morning, then they stopped all of a sudden, anyone know why they just stop all of a sudden? My guess is maybe they are only really active in the mornings? Not a carp fisher so I wouldnt have the slighest idea
Sof
Participant
Participant

Post by Sof »

TrollingThunder wrote:Never caught a carp in my life, however, opening day for musky last weekend I was on the water at 5 in the morning (yes I am a bit insane haha) but I must have seen tons of carp jumping all morning, then they stopped all of a sudden, anyone know why they just stop all of a sudden? My guess is maybe they are only really active in the mornings? Not a carp fisher so I wouldnt have the slighest idea
Maybe spawning. When they spawn they splash a lot and you can see them in groups. Quite the sight.....haha.