american shad /regulations

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
rocklobster
Participant
Participant

american shad /regulations

Post by rocklobster »

hello everyone , going for american shad 2morrow,, what exactly are the regs? i will be fishing @ the carillon damm,, do you need a quebec license or not?? my buddy was fined and his fish taken away on sunday by quebec ministry.. he does not agree and will be appealing the decision. it is an area on the ottawa river which borders both provinces ,, cant seem to find it in the ontario regs.
eddie43
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by eddie43 »

I have been told by Quebec MNR that the Ottawa river is neutral, Ontario or quebec licences permitted on either side of the river, however tributaries(sp?) on the quebec side require a quebec licence. So as long as he was on the Ottawa river specifically he should have been ok.
Jackel
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jackel »

Here is the reply I received from the Québec MNR.

Bonjour Monsieur

For your information, you would be fishing in zone 8.

I cut this out (further below)from the fishing guide for you: I can tell you that there is a small part of the Outaouais River from north side of the Carillon dam up to the Ontario borderline which the same rule applies, that means you can be on the boat on the river, you can fish from there, no problem. There is an agreement between Ontario and Québec.

But you cannot fish from the shore without a non-resident permit from Québec’s (the same would apply for a Québec’s resident wanting to fish from the shore on Ontario’s side, that person would need an Ontario’s permit.

Holders of an Ontario sportfishing licence are treated the same as holders of a Québec sportfishing licence for the purposes of sportfishing in Zone 25 and in lakes Clarice, Labyrinthe and Raven (Zone 13) as well as in that part of lake Saint-François (Zone 8) west of a line drawn from Beaudette point on the northern shore to Saint-Louis point on the southern shore. The same applies to holders of a New Brunswick sportfishing licence for the purpose of angling in the Patapédia (Zone 2) and Ristigouche (Zones 1 and 2) salmon rivers. Fish caught in these waters and kept are considered caught in Québec and must be included in the daily fishing quota and possession limits.

This part here below is en exception to the main rule of the zone:

Lake Des Deux Montagnes Note 17, the part formed by Carillon bay, north of a straight line running from Aux Roches point to the Portage brook. The part formed by Fer-à-Cheval bay, west of a straight line running from the eastern tip of Carillon island to the eastern tip of Paquin island.

Sturgeon

from July 1st, 2008
to October 31, 2008

Other species

from July 1st, 2008
to March 31, 2009

Jackel 8)
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Excellent info............