Gar Spots on the Ottawa?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Mitch24
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Gar Spots on the Ottawa?

Post by Mitch24 »

The Ottawa river is pretty big, and I was curious if anyone in this area fishes for Gar pike and is willing to share some spots with me. I will be catching them on the fly. Also, are they open for Zone 18 right now?
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Usually back shallow bays that warm up first should hold gar. Must be quite a thrill to catch them on a fly rod. Gar I think are considered a coarse fish so the is no closed season for them.
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Gar Spots on the Ottawa?

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

Mitch24 wrote:The Ottawa river is pretty big, and I was curious if anyone in this area fishes for Gar pike and is willing to share some spots with me. I will be catching them on the fly. Also, are they open for Zone 18 right now?
Welcome to Fish Hawk....

Any intro about yourself?? :wink:
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

There is no season for them...

And take no offense from this Mitch....but this is what really irks me sometimes....everyone looking for shortcuts....I've spent countless hours on the Ottawa fishing for gar....and it's taken me years to eliminate water from the equation....Launch your boat and go for a drive.......it's way more rewarding to find something on your own then to have it handed to you.... :wink:

Good Luck!

RJ
Mitch24
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mitch24 »

RJ wrote:There is no season for them...

And take no offense from this Mitch....but this is what really irks me sometimes....everyone looking for shortcuts....I've spent countless hours on the Ottawa fishing for gar....and it's taken me years to eliminate water from the equation....Launch your boat and go for a drive.......it's way more rewarding to find something on your own then to have it handed to you.... :wink:

Good Luck!

RJ
Sage advice, and this is something I will be doing...once I can find some time of course :roll: .

As for an introduction:

I live in Ottawa Ontario and I have been hooked on fly fishing for about 4 years now (as well as tying). I also enjoy road biking, camping, hiking and paddling. During the winter months you can find me ice fishing the Ottawa River and various lakes in the surrounding valley. My favorite fish to catch would be the mighty Smallmouth (and largemouth) Bass. My favorite season to fish however is Spring, and unfortunately i cant fish bass then, so im usually found hooking into Panfish and the odd Trout.

I have been looking for an Ottawa fishing forum for a little while now and this site was recommended, and I can see why, great site! I hope I can be helpful on the board and I look forward to some good info on the ottawa region!
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

Wow....awesome intro Mitch!!.....looking forward to reading your future reports.....I have a feeling you'll just fit in fine here on this site!! :wink:
jig head
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by jig head »

RJ wrote:There is no season for them...

Good Luck!

RJ

Ditto

-Anthony
Leechman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Leechman »

Welcome to FF and happy hunting for gars on the mighty Ottawa.

Fish Finder
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

There is this one good spot on the Ottawa for Gar pike , its a little hard
to locate but the name of it is called '' Paradise Bay '' :P :P :wink:
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

the legend of the gar fish .. on the ottawa

ask fish finder about info on the fish hes the GAR MASTER!
D-mo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

here's a hint ...

Post by D-mo »

yoo Mitch:
Start in Petrie Island ... take a drive .. and walk the trails around the back bays .. you should see them there.

See guys ... thats being nice .. and sharing information.
these things are gar .. not trout ..

D-mo
MuskieWannabe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MuskieWannabe »

Also, correct me if I am wrong, go back into the shallow bay all along the Ottawa and you shoudl see them. I've seen them as far up as Renfrew, and I'm sure they live past there as well. I will hopefulyl be out on MOnday searching for some. Seen quite a few of them but never tried catching them before. Hopefully Monday will be the day.
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Gar spots

Post by Seaweed »

Try the Fitzroy Provincial Park... you can wade right over to just below the dam there and monsters sun themselves there... ripe for the picking. Enjoy! :wink:
Mitch24
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mitch24 »

Sweet! Thanks for the info everyone! :D
D-mo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

wooo ....

Post by D-mo »

Didnt know about that one Seaweed ... goin' up there myself this weekend for a little RandR ... will give it a shot .. thanks much.

D-mo