6 bass limit

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

6 bass limit

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

Im concern with this subject
iv got this hot spot were i used to fish all the time. 2 years ago i would go there and catch a frenzy of 20 bass each ( me and my girl friend) . Now a days 2 years have passed and the same guy fishes this spot and i seems like every day hes there filling up his chain with 6 bass (the limit) BUT still is bragging about having hes frezzer FULL of bass . This year iv been having ALL the trouble cathing a 3 lbs + and i feel like its fished out. The 6 bass limit ... is it 6 bass a day limit or 6 bass IN YOU POSESSION!!!
isnt catching 6 bass a day and keeping them illegal???????????????
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Catching and keeping 6 bass in a day is not illegal.

Going out and catching and keeping 6 everyday and having not ate the ones from the day before is illegal as well.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

The problem with that is that if he goes home and gives away his 6 bass he can go back the next day and catch 6 more. And he can give his bass to anybody because you don't need to have a fishing license to possess fish. So he can give some to his neighbours, to his friends .
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

I guess the bigger question here is do we need a 6 bass limit daily? I would think most people in here release almost every bass they catch, and are proud of the fact. Morality vs. legality.
The BOQ seems to be doing OK with the new possession limits. Maybe we need revamped possession and slot limits in the divisions that bass get pounded hard in each year. Maybe a maximum yearly limit should be considered too. Most of us would agree that with digital photography and a tape measure even the fish of a lifetime can be released then made into a perfect fiberglass or graphite reproduction.
I have a few friends that like eating bass, but don't fish or are too busy. I will drop off a meal of bass to them one or two times throughout the season. In some instances 1 fish will do. In some 2 or 3 might be required. The fish are always 13 to 15in. I would think 15-20 fish were shared this year. I always fillet the fish for them, something my father taught me during my informative years.
We should always be able to keep some fish for a meal. They are delicious and nutritious, and if used wisely are a renewable resource. Do we need to keep 6 bass a day? No.

DropShot'r
MichaelVandenberg
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MichaelVandenberg »

Keeping 6 bass a day is not illegal. Having a freeze full of bass (i.e.: more than 6) is illegal.

If you are really concerned, call the MNR and let them know. If he has a freezer full and they drop by they will bust him.

Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS)

Mike
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

........and can't forget that lovely banner and one of my favorites that reads "Bag a freezer full of Walleye every time you go fishing" :twisted:
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

Yeah thats my exacte point!! 1-2 bass is enough for a meal ... and anyways isent fresh out of the water 10 x better than beeing frozed for months and months !!! well thanx for the info that (one guy) was still there yesterday...dosent speek french or english yet fishes all my bass GRRrrRRRr . CrimeStopper here i come!
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

1-877-TIPS-MNR (847-7667)
Report Resource Abuse
carp-starter
Participant
Participant

Post by carp-starter »

Wallyboss wrote:The problem with that is that if he goes home and gives away his 6 bass he can go back the next day and catch 6 more. And he can give his bass to anybody because you don't need to have a fishing license to possess fish. So he can give some to his neighbours, to his friends .
Wallyboss is 100% correct with respect to what he posted. The fisher can catch and keep 6 bass every day and give away 6 bass every day as long as he has A MAXIMUM of 6 bass in his possession at any one time.

But if he has 6 bass in his freezer, the fisher is allowed to catch 6 bass every day but he must release all bass. He cannot in this case give the 6 bass to his friends, family or to whomever while he has his 6 in the freezer.

If the fisher has only 4 bass in his freezer, the fisher is allowed to catch 6 bass and would be allowed to give away only 2 bass to other people.

I posted this because some fishermen might think that it is OK to just give bass away which is not true in all cases.

carp-starter
Fish'n'Time
Participant
Participant

Post by Fish'n'Time »

Well the mnr has stated that the limit is only 6 bass a day.

I think change is needed......

changing of their diapers WAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAK

Wow, yeah, can't take more than 6 bass...who cares.. who keeps bass anyway..hardly anyone. Yeah, better call the SWAT team to take care of this guy that makes up for everybodies limit.

"Well, the ministry says..." the ministry is retarded. They release fish every year but clip their fins to identify them?!!! Stupid.

When bass are rare, sure crack down on limits but until then...its bass. Bass are everywhere, and don't say its because the limits are respected.

PS Buddy is just jealous that the guy is catching more bass then him.
GrandRiverReaper
Participant
Participant

Post by GrandRiverReaper »

Wow....Don't you have a very courteous way of presenting your opinion.

I don't think it's jeleousy for the other fisherman, it's genuine concern for an ecosystem that's getting its wildlife taken away. These bass serve a purpose, whether it's to keep insect population down or spawn to supply food to the lower rungs of the food chain. To say the ministry is retarded, as you succinctly put it, is ignorant. The MNR is short-manned and under-funded and fails to enforce its codes and by-laws. Every person who picks up a rod needs to keep in mind that we are dealing with natural law and nature can be a real bi$% if not respected. To keep six bass on each trip, filling your freezer and not eating what you intend to is wrong; ethically, morally and fundamentally. What probably ends up happening to these fish is they're filleted, wrapped up and frozen then after a long exposure to the freezer, they're thrown out. Now if that isn't "retarded" than what would you call it?

keep it reel,

GRR
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

Mr All Knowing:

"Wow, yeah, can't take more than 6 bass...who cares.. who keeps bass anyway..hardly anyone."

Have you ever been to Long Point Bay, especially during bass opener?
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Carp starter if the guy has 6 bass in HIS freezer he CANNOT go fishing and target bass even if he C + R. He already possesses his limit.

Something that is done a lot and is illegal is if there is 2 of you fishing together lets say for walleyes and the daily limit is 4 and you each want to catch and keep your limit. After YOU catch 4 and if your buddy has not caught any , legally you are supposed to stop fishing because youhave caught your daily limit.
Auger
Participant
Participant

FROM fishing regulations

Post by Auger »

Folks

Catch and Possession Limits – The catch limit is the number of
fish you are allowed to catch and keep in one day. The possession
limit is the number you are allowed to have in your possession
on hand, in cold storage, in transit, etc. Possession limits
are the same as one day’s catch limit except where otherwise
specified. For some species there are no limits. In these cases
no reference will be made to a limit in this fishing summary. If
you catch a fish after reaching the daily catch or possession
limit for that species, the fish must be released immediately
back to the water. Refer also to size limits.

The only other exception is if the fisher is native and is fishing on his traditional lands have no possission or catch limits for any species of fish. Slot size do not apply either

Hope this helps.

Always check the regulations, penalties are very strick, you could loose your boat, tackle and car/truck/suv if in breach plus pay a fine or both.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Exactly what most of us said. We just didn't cut and paste!!!