Tire pressures

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Tire pressures

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Ok the season is almost upon us :!:

One very important thing that roughrider mentioned in another thread I think is worth repeating here...
roughrider wrote:Also always check your tire pressure,low pressure means hots tires down the road and probably a blow-out. :cry: : :wink: roughrider
For those of you who may have new rides or aren't familiar with trailers as much. You will not believe how unevenly tires can wear due to the wrong tire pressure. Be safe...check them regularly, like before every trip. There's a few local outlets that sell digital pressure guages relatively cheaply now...It's worth the investment both for your boat and, more importantly, your safety!

Let's spend the time fishing, not healing :!: :wink: :lol:
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Good point WIG

MAKE SURE YOU READ THE TIRE FOR THE PROPER TIRE PRESSURE!!!!!! not like me .... i was putting 32lbs in my trailer tires and they called for about 80lbs wore them out in less than one year :oops:

BIG-O(Phil)<*!!!!><
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

big-o wrote:Good point WIG

MAKE SURE YOU READ THE TIRE FOR THE PROPER TIRE PRESSURE!!!!!! not like me .... i was putting 32lbs in my trailer tires and they called for about 80lbs wore them out in less than one year :oops:

BIG-O(Phil)<*!!!!><

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!! That's hilarious :!: I didn't put that part in my post :!: :roll: I did the exact same thing :!: :!: :lol: :lol: Must be those Legend tires eh :?: :?: Who'd have thought 80 psi :?: :lol: :lol:
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

When i traded the Legend in I had to try and miss any sharp looking rocks.... the cord was showing thru :shock: That will never happen again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BIG-O(Phil)<*!!!!><
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:shock: Sounds like we have all been there.. :lol:
gorfman007
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by gorfman007 »

yep!!! :lol: :lol: :oops:
Life goes on
Méchant Malade
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Méchant Malade »

Always look at the side of you're tire trailer; all the infos are there. If it indicate 80lbs. pound it should be inflated at 80. Max pressure is always the one to put.
Also use trailer tires, they are build for that purpous; sidewall are stronger.
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

I checked mine last night and it said max load xxxlbs at 60psi when cold... hmmm so are we saying that I should be running at 60psi.. it seems a lot considering the tires don't seem to be showing any signs of underinflation.

Are we reading this right... most tires have a max psi but do you really want to be running at that ?? Hmmmm
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I currently keep my tires at the recomended PSI. If I decide to take my friends 12' Zodiac home to the east coast this year on my trailer (beacause the boat is a lot lighter). Will this lighter boat change the PSI in the tires and will I have to adjust the pressure accordingly?
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Don't forget to change out the old stale winter air for new, fresh spring air. :wink:

M.T. Livewell
roughrider
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Tire Pressures

Post by roughrider »

When I recently purchased new tires,the tire guy told me make sure you are at Max. pressure,my boat is on the high end for weight, so underinflating is not an option for me.I also changed to radial trailer tires, :idea: if anyone has had tire problems, this is the way to go,they are great on wear. :wink: roughrider
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

Seeing as we're talking tires it wouldn't hurt to top up the bearing buddies with grease while you're on your knees checking pressures.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

.....and don't forget to test all the bolts on the trailer with a rachet. YOu'd be surprised what can losen up.
Méchant Malade
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Méchant Malade »

Hope it clarified for everybody:
TIRES
The most common cause of tire trouble is under-inflation. It is important, therefore, that you always maintain full air pressure, as indicated by the tire manufacturer on the tire's sidewalls. Always check air pressure when tires are cold.

http://www.geocities.com/palmbeachboati ... nance.html
TIRES

Tire inflation pressure is one of the most important factors in tire life. Tires should be inflated to the pressure recommended
by the manufacturer for the load. Pressure should always be checked cold before operation. Check inflation pressure weekly during use to insure maximum tire life and monitor tread wear.

The following Tire Pressure Chart lists the standard recommended pressure for most common trailer tires.

4:80 x 12 B/60psi.
5:30 x 12 C/80psi
9.5 x 16.5 E/75psi
ST 185/80D 13C/50psi
ST 215/75D 14C/50psi
ST 225/75D 15D/65psi
ST 155/80D 13C/50psi
ST 205/75R 14C/50psi
ST 215/75R 14C/50psi
8.75 x 16.5E/75psi
20.5 x 8.0 x 10D/70psi
18.5 x 8.5 x 8C/50psi
20.5 x 8.0 x 10E/90psi
Iceman
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Iceman »

Hey W.I.G

Perhaps if he had checked his tire pressure more often this would not have happened, however I would love to know what brand of trailer hitch he was using!

Also this photo shows the importance of wearing your seat belt as he is still behind the wheel!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well and truly hooked!