Floating Docks / Swimming Rafts

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
High Noon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Floating Docks / Swimming Rafts

Post by High Noon »

Hi everyone,

We are looking to purchase a floating dock and a swimming raft for the cottage. If anyone has any suggestions on the various dock builders out there I would really appreciate it. The cottage is in the Plevna area.

Thanks

High Noon
Swamp-Donkey
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Floating docks

Post by Swamp-Donkey »

Why wouldn't you build one yourself ? This is a very easy & inexpensive project you can do on your own. All you need are some 50 gallon plastic drums, Pressure treated 2x4's and some 1x8 pressure treated decking and you can probably "git'ur dun" in a single weekend. Your gonna pay through the nose to have someone come all the way out to Plevna to build or set up a dock. However if your just one of those people that prefers to have someone else do it, PM me and I can come up maybe this weekend and give ya a quote :D (I'm serious, I could build you one heck of a dock and raft, but I aint cheap! You gotta pay for quality.)
Swamp-Donkey
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Floating docks

Post by Swamp-Donkey »

Highnoon! just as a FYI: I'd stay away from aluminum docks. You have to remove them completely from the water every fall or the ice just destroys them, there redicuously expensive and there not very "kid-friendly"(sharp corners and joints are just waiting for tiny little fingers.)

Cheers
Mr. T.
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mr. T. »

And wouldn't the aluminum get really hot baking under the sun?

Causing burned butt cheeks. :cry:
barblessbob
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by barblessbob »

you are not allowed to use press treated on a dock anymore
better check with the locall authority before you go that route
a better and alot lighter alternate is domestic cedar from a local mill

as for removing an aluminum dock due to winter damage
you have to remove anthing in the water due to winter damage
press treated /aluminum/ cedar /steel will all get a beating from old man winter
ice tends to shift taking whatever is in its way

aluminum is a better dock, stronger then wood , no maintenece,
alot lighter then press treated but heavier then cedar
will last longer then any wood or plastic,
holds its value if you ever want to sell

as for kid friendly press treated is the absolute worst
old formula was mostly arsenic the new formula is unknown to me at the present but i do know you have to get special screws for the new wood
the basic exterior screws will get eatin by the the chemicals in the
the wood so again not kid friendly

i'm a big believer of alum docks due to the ease of use, strenght
people friendly, and most are 1 man jobs to remove and install
which could save a marriage or 2

hope i didn't offend anyone or bore you

nofish (bob)
Swamp-Donkey
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Floating docks

Post by Swamp-Donkey »

You might want to check your facts there nofish. Check the ministry website:www.mnr.gov.on.ca/mnr/csb/news/crown5.html. The report gives you plenty of facts as to how to safely use pressure treated wood around lakes and rivers. In fact, they encourage it. For the simple reason that it doesn't have to be treated, painted, varnished or whatever. After the first year all products within the wood are leeched out and therefore is no different from natural wood. except it will never rot. Also there was a chemical in pressure treated wood products, that was deemed harmful some years ago but is no longer used. It was cadnium or chromium, something like that I think. Its not used any more. It is perfectly fine to use pressure treated lumber products in, on, or near water.

As for pulling the thing out every fall? I'll post a photo of mine thats been sitting in the lake for the last 12 years. I leave it right where it is and all I have to do is a quick little reposition come spring.

I think some people own cottages just to make extra work for themselves :roll: :D :lol:
Walker
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Walker »

High Noon,check out this months Canadian Home Workshop magazine. Has a great article on building rafts/docks.
Good luck
Mark
Dartee
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Floating docks

Post by Dartee »

Swamp-Donkey wrote:You might want to check your facts there nofish.

As for pulling the thing out every fall? I'll post a photo of mine thats been sitting in the lake for the last 12 years. I leave it right where it is and all I have to do is a quick little reposition come spring.

I think some people own cottages just to make extra work for themselves :roll: :D :lol:
Leaving your dock in will depend on where you are on the lake, (ie the bottom contour, currents, protection from wind ect).

When my father owned his cottage resort, we learned the hard way after the 1st winter. 7 new docks to build come spring time .
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

High Noon: I will be up at the cottage Thursday to Sunday June 21-24. Feel free to stop by and see our dock. It is made of that plastic composite material. Really easy to maintain. Very strong, lasts forever but very expensive. Our dock was around $3000 for a 16x16. We built it ourselves. As for removing in the winter we have not done that yet in 12 years and the old dock and this new one are great. You being in the bay like that should have no trouble.
LuckyTri
Participant
Participant

Post by LuckyTri »

Hi High Noon,

Here is a link to a site I found: http://www.cottagedocks.com/costs_001.htm . They have kits that you assemble, or they can assemble them for you (at additional cost). I haven't bought from them so I have no direct experience - I am like you, looking for options.

Be aware that the MNR page Swamp-Donkey referenced is dated 1996 - that's over ten years old, so it may not be as current as you'd like. And the page doesn't actually encourage using pressure treated wood. Rather it gives you "practices will help to reduce the amount of contaminants released into the waterbody."

Is your area within the bounds of a Conservation Authority? If so, they may have their own regulations on dock construction that apply to you.

DFO has a page on docks here: http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/regions/CENTRA ... ndex_e.htm - in particular this chapter here (last updated in March 2007): http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/regions/CENTRA ... ock4_e.htm . This page talks about preferred woods, and their list does not include pressure treated. Pressure treated is an option, but is banned on waterfronts in some areas (they don't say where) and you must do the construction well back from the shore and allow the wood to dry/age before putting it in the water. Pressure treated sawdust is considered toxic and cut ends must be sealed.

All in all, there are some strong chemicals in pressure treated wood that you may not want to expose yourself and your family too.

Be sure to check on all the regulatory bodies that may apply. Waterfront construction can have multiple jurisdictions - DFO (for the water body itself, including the lake/river bottom), MNR, any Conservation Authority, and possibly your municipal or county governments. Even Parks Canada may have a say for those on the shores of the Rideau or Trent-Severn canal systems. Luckily, based on what I have discovered, floating docks appear to be well-favoured and not too hard to get done - but your mileage may vary.

Hope this helps.

LT
dana
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dana »

Please do not use pressure treated wood in our waterways..
or for kids playgrounds...besides being over rated..it is not
healthy.

df
ArcticCat2

Dock and swim platform

Post by ArcticCat2 »

If you are in the Plevna area, I will give you two suggestions:
1. Lookout Building Supply in Plevna, see Rick the owner. He has very very nice aluminum docks called "Fendock". Although initial cost is pretty high, they are the tops IMHO. The stringers and understructure are all aluminum and the decking above is wood. You can use white cedar (local supply) that is environmentally friendly, and soft on bare feet, and easy to clean. Rick has the sections premade, or you can DIY. I have had mine going on 7 years; still good as new. Mine is 6' x 24', it is a 2-man job to place and remove (still to be done this season) He also has swim platforms.
2. On Road 509 between Sharbot Lake and Snow Road there is a small lumber mill with swim platforms and picnic tables out front. Don't know the price or quality, but he is local to the Plevna area and it looks like white cedar stuff from the raod. Forget Pressure treated, cedar is what you want. He is almost right at the intersection of 509 and Ardoch Road. (Clarnedon Station).

Side note re swim platforms: My kids have taken a liking to the blowup models you can find at CA Tire. They are fun to lay on, jump off of, swim under, and easy to remove at end of season. That will be this year's upgrade.
High Noon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by High Noon »

Here is the plan. I have talked to Rick and Ricky at Lookout Lumber and next week-end is building time. It has been 15 years or so since I have built a dock and the one thing that I remember is to build it as close to the water as possible. That little pile of lumber and floats are damn heavy when you assemble them all together. This has given me a reason to purchase a compound mitre saw. Wish me luck and I will give you updates on Monday. Here come the cannon balls. I have a feeling the kids will have me worn out by Monday. One last thing I plan on doing besides having the kids pitch in is to borrow a wood burner and burn our names and the date into the side for fun.
spinner
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

dock floats

Post by spinner »

High Noon

Saw this add and thought you may be interested

http://www.usedottawa.com/classified-ad ... s-for-sale
creeky
Participant
Participant

Post by creeky »

Hey high noon

sounds like you've got 'er dialed - new mitre saw, now you just need some cold beer.
I just want to kick in with the cedar thing. I spent 500 bucks on cedar and my dock (a floater with 4 50 gallon plastic barrels for flotation), which I don't remove, is still in excellent shape after 7 years. The only mistake I made is I made it 6x10 (I'm on a narrow river, so with the ramp it's out about 16 ft). That is too narrow for comfort. Make sure your dock, if it floats, is at least 10 ft wide by however long. My brother's is 12 by 18 I think and it's perfect.
I partially fill my floats with water to keep the dock a bit lower/more stable.

A buddy of mine, on the ottawa, left his dock in over winter and then his neighbor watched in the spring as the river ice took the dock and 4 anchors away! So obviously I'm in a fairly current free area ... good luck