Great Fishing Weekend in Westmeath!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
HitmanHill
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Great Fishing Weekend in Westmeath!

Post by HitmanHill »

I tried posting earlier today but I must of logged off before it was fully posted so will try again.
Anyway the weekend started with my brother and myself heading to pick-up Tenline in Kinburn and off to meet BTS in Cobden for breakfast.
After a mighty fine breakfast we head for Westmeath to get down to some serious fishing but when we arrive at Laurentian View Resorts (LVR) we see that their web site is in desperate need of an upgrade since we fine out there is no bait shop, no convience store and no TV to watch the Sens play.
So back to Westmeath to pick up some bait and what a great deal we got on some minnows and worms at the "Hillbilly Bait Shoppe". We get back to LVR and divide up the bait and off we go in search of the "Big One"
We aren't fishing very long when my brother thinks he is hung up and up he pulls this dandy 6.5lb pike.

We end up fishing until late Friday afternoon and head back to shore to see if the other groups have dropped in and decide that any prize money for the biggest walleye and pike will start when everyone has entered so unfortunately for my brother who will evidently end up with the biggest pike in the group for the weekend get bragging rights but is out of the money because it was caught before the terms were decided.

We meet up with Zort and his son and Rob his brother and later on his other brother Marc drops in for a visit and to spend some quality time with the group. We also meet Walker, Marcthefisherman and his sister Jamieand we are all raring to go in search of the winner. We fish until about 7:30 pm when finally all the thunder we heard throughout the day forces us to B-line it to shore because of sever thunderstorm warnings. Here is a picture of one of the smaller pike I catch that day but it was fun just the same. A quick picture and he is sent back to get bigger.
We were planning on having a fish fry with some of the fish everyone kept but the rain forces us to deep fry the fish inside the cottage which takes longer but taste just as good. Here is a shot of the pike Steve caught and was in the running for most of the weekend for prize moneyImage A 3.4pounder.

The next day they are calling for thunder showers and except for a few clouds and high humidity it ends up being not too bad of a day after all. here is a picture of Walker catching a small pike
Image and he is no longer skunked since jumping in the "Red Flash"

Later on in the evening Tenline gets this %.5 pound pike and wants it officially weighed before releasing it and here is the official (me ) doing the honours
and a more acurate readingImage.
It is offical Tenline ends up winng the prize money with this catch.

We head back in front of the cottage and catch a glimse of the rest of the party and here they are trolling along
Image Tenline and BTS.

I crown Jamie the Catfish Queen.

Brian landing another great fish

We finish the day with the sun going down and listening to the first period of the Sens hockey game on the radio.

We end up having another great fish fry on Saturday night and finish it off listening to the Sens winning the game. Hey Sens!!!!

Sunday we fish for a little while longer and we reward the winners Tenline and Bts with the prize money for their biggest fish and hand out the great prizes that Bobber was so willingly to donate. Thanks a bunch to Bobber for doing that and to everyone that made this a great weekend. Here is a final picture of the winners
and a final group shotof the fine group that got to share a great weekend

Hopefully the fish- hawk gang can get together again and have another great fishing weekend just like this. :D :D 8)
GetTheNet!!!
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by GetTheNet!!! »

Good to hear you guys had such a great weekend. Thanks for posting. Those are some pretty nice northerns.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Outstanding lads!! :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
SCUBA_STEVE
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by SCUBA_STEVE »

yes it was an awsome weekend great people for sure!

have to do it again sometime!

scuba_steve
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

NICEEEEEEE

great to see the boys get some action like this. :P

we were in westmeath to, friday and saturday.(me and karma and a bunch off great people for the B.A.I.T.(derby).

http://ca.geocities.com/justgerry@rogers.com/bait/

we were at the nangor resort,what a nice place.

http://www.nangorresort.com/

report to come on this. :wink: .

that a nice size pike there guys.. :)

mabe you guys saw some people in our group,,there was a cople fish hawkers in this derby.

thanks for sharing.

joco
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

Great report guys! Some nice pike caught there. I see Laurentian still hasn't thrown any money into siding for their shacks :lol: :lol: :lol:
HitmanHill
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HitmanHill »

Hey Joco, we did manage to almost get swamped by some of those huge Bass boats launching near the Black River and going about 80 miles an hour past us and some mighty fine boats and great people to donate their time for a great cause. Talked to a few people that owned some of the boats and donated their time to this event and they said the bite wasn't as good as they had expected but it was a great weekend to be out. Cudos to all them for taking the time to think of their fellow man that might not get out mthere to experience fishing 8) !!! So how did you and Karma make out in the derby? Any day out on the water is a good one regaurdless of the catch, what a fantastic way to spend the day.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Great bunch of pictures HitmanHill :)

Some big boats flying through the channel that day :shock: We had the small crank radio in the boat the night of the game to make sure we had up to date highlights :)
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

Nice pics guys. Looks like you had a blast this weekend.
OBD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by OBD »

Glad you guys had a blast! Another great report guys!
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

Hey Hitman,

Another great report for sure. Those are some beauty Pike and some great photos. Glad everyone had a good time.

Nice boat by the way. :)

Thanks for sharing. Wish I could have been there with you all, but I had a little adventure of my own. Story to come.
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi hitmanhill

karma will make a report.

but we got 9 or 10 fish in the boats.

i got 6 small pike. and some oos bass.

they sher was a lot off bass boat in that derby..it was cool to be around the pro all weekend and share the same cottage and all.

will post pict soon.

the bit seems slower then last year...but a LOT off small pike as been caught....a lot off boat caught lot off small pike and some walleye.

but the size was not there this year....but the fun was.. :wink: .

we do got a good storm on the friday,,,we did not had power for a long time on the saturday..in the cottage and all.

joco
HitmanHill
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HitmanHill »

Thanks Bobber for the realignment of my post. It is much easier to read and follow. What am I doing wrong to make it so cockeyed?
bts
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bts »

Good job on the report and pics George. I had a great time and got to meet some new people. Was a little disappointed in the number of Fishhawkers that showed up but for the ones that did they were certainly a first class group. Would fish with any of you anytime :lol:
dana
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Westmeath Nangor

Post by dana »

I was there this last weekend at the Blind Anglers International Tournament
the bite was on..we caught maybe 13 or so pike and three decent walleye
my blind clients caught their share too..trolling spinner rigs with a power bait on it..It was truly a wonderful time..
the pike size was down this year for the winners
from 52 lbs to 14 hahah
we did ok but no prize this year ,,,what afine day withgreatpeople ..yay lions club
df