carp..the fish.. Hey John :). May 10th update

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

carp..the fish.. Hey John :). May 10th update

Post by SALMON »

:D Well after cleaning up around the house I decided to go down to the Grand River for an hour . Water is high and muddy ...about 2' higher than I like for carp fishing. But managed to get one about 8lbs. The water is still very cold..as it warms things should be picking up. Image.....Image
Last edited by SALMON on Mon May 10, 2004 4:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Salmon, I'm going to start targeting a few carp myself. What did you catch that bad boy on? I think worm was your plan....did that do the trick or did you have to change up?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just curious as to how agressive they are feeding with the water temps still down around 35-37F.
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D Double dewy... :lol: two dew worms on a #4 bait holder..no sinker.
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

Hey salmon... personally i think some of the best anglers i've ever met are the ones that target multi species... there's something that can be learned from fishing for one species and then applying it to another.

I used to fish for carp all year round but then that's when you'd mostly have temps above 0c. They do feed in winter but perhaps only for an hour and then it'll switch off just like someone flicking a big switch. Back then i'd put a lot of time in to be there for that time when it came to life.

Back in the 60's no one fished in winter for them as they had an almost uncatchable name back then.. in the 70's people started making the effort and fish were caught.

Salmon.. there's something about catching carp in winter.. they make that drab background come to life as their colours tend to stand out more. You'll probably have had a good scrap out of that one as they tend to be pretty lively at that size... probably a male too.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Is he swimming or in the smoker?
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:shock: He or she is swimming with the fishes!!! To breed another day. :D
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re..

Post by BBRich »

Awesome!! I love those bugle mouthed devils! I'll be heading to Simcoe one of these days to see if they are hitting at the duck park yet. They have just started hitting in Silver Lake, but the general size of them there is smaller than 5lbs. I'm so glad the ice finally melted!!
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D Out for an hour today. 2 carp..one 12.11 lbs and one 8.6 lbs. Grand River has dropped nicely and the bite is improving. ImageImage
CaptainVlad
Participant
Participant

Post by CaptainVlad »

Ya... Cambridge.
:( Winter came back in Ottawa. Even in Russia is warmer.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Hey John, question...Do you, or anyone you know ever eaten Carp? I ask because I used to "flip" them :shock: to a local oriental restaurant on Somerset when I was a we lad. I have no idea what they ever did with them. I seem to recall other people telling me they were "mushy" for lack of a better description :!:

Anyone else ever eat them? Heck, even try them?
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

WIG, I roiled one up last summer. And I tried some smoked. My opinon is that it's only worth eating smoked. Unless someone has a non traditional recipie I could try.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Markus wrote:WIG, I roiled one up last summer. And I tried some smoked. My opinon is that it's only worth eating smoked. Unless someone has a non traditional recipie I could try.
Thanks Markus,

but how'd you find the texture of the meat? I'm not planning on eating any of these things, just curious!
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I meant broiled! It wasn't mushy. It was very boney, but flakey. White meat.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Oh! and Salmon....nice fish. Worms again? I like the rod stand too. Is it one piece or two?
magicturnip
Participant
Participant

Post by magicturnip »

I could give you a recipe for a small carp:

You need a cleaned and scaled carp

First you slice enough ginger and garlic to fill the belly, then you "wash" the fish with a mix of rice vinegar and light soy sauce. Then you put everything in the steamer! For the sauce, you mix a bit of cornstarch with water and add it to a boiling mixture of rice vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, vegetable oil and scallions. Simple and easy chinese sweet and sour fish... and you can easily improve the recipe with whatever you find in the fridge!