Fly Fishing For Smallies

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Eagle
Participant
Participant

Fly Fishing For Smallies

Post by Eagle »

Every trip to Ontario makes me wish I brought my fly rod. Was wondering if it would be worth it lake fishing, I think YES, and would appreciate any tips, hints, or advice for smallmouth fishing in Ontario lakes.

Time table will be first part of July.

Thanks
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Eagle,

First off, don't be shy about posting in the Float/Fly fishing forum. :-)

Secondly, the primary question would be what sort of what will you be fishing? That will pretty much dictate what type of fly line you will need. If you're fishing in say 20+' of water you're looking at a full sinking line. If you're targeting say 10' you might be able to get by with floating line. That said there's nothing like taking smallies on a topwater fly!

My personal choice for flies:

woolly bugger (#4-#8 ) Olive, Black
panfish poppers (#8, 10)
Outcast Crayfish
clouser minnow
Gravelguy4
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Gravelguy4 »

I would imagine that the fish would still be fairly shallow in the first part of july so a floating line should do you. The flies Todd B suggested should be good - smallies hate fur and feathers so flies tend to work well. Just remember to slow down if you aren't having any luck. let your fly get right close to the bottom and strip slowly - heck, just vary your retrieve until you find something that works. THere is nothing better than fighting a smallie on a fly rod.

Another pattern i've had great success with is the Mohair leech or geek leech.

Good luck,

Keith
D-mo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Ah .. bass ...

Post by D-mo »

Dropoffs, rocky points, pools close to rocks cliffs, lake inlets, they all hangout there. I would go with floating line at this time of the season, as these little devils are actively feeding. Make sure you have good quality flies, whipfinished and cemented.
We spent all last summer lazily moving up and down the Rideau river casting in and under stucture, and pulling out some major prizes.
Flies .. use anything really ... but poppers in July could be your best bet. Big flies dont necessarily land big bass. I have seen some hogs come off my buddies fly rod caught on next to nothing.

D-mo
steve2112
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by steve2112 »

Hi Guys

I like to fly fish for bass as well. Full sinking line is sometimes a bit of a problem if you are in a stationary postion with chop because you get a big bend in your line. Obviously good for drifting or trolling. Perhaps a sinking tip would be better and easier choice for deeper water. I like to use floating line and a long leader. With the long leader you can smack the fly down hard and not spoock them with the line. Always vary your retrieve. I always figure eight and then strip maybe pause or go right back to figure eighting. The Figure eight technique is something I learned to do fishing in England and is great for keeping your fly moving at a constant speed. Mind you Bass seem to like really jerky action. Like with spincasting the small bass will hit almost anything but the big ones are much harder to fool.

I got to say I have become somewhat lazy with my fly fishing over the last few years. I mostly fish the Ottawa and there usually are strong winds. It seems so much easier to just use a spinning rod in these conditions. We bought a canoe this winter, so hopefully I will start to go into some smaller lakes and fly fish more often for bass.

Cheers
Steve
Eagle
Participant
Participant

Post by Eagle »

Thanks, gentlemen. I had tried to search this first and got on the general forum some how. Not that I am excited about our trip or anything. Did not know how to move this to the proper forum. I also have a post that I probably should have in the boat forum.

Oh well, live and learn.

Thanks for your replies and patience with this old man.

Eagle