Do it yourself crankbaits

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
gordy28
Participant
Participant

Do it yourself crankbaits

Post by gordy28 »

Hey there
I noticed that some people make their own plastics and jigs, and I have dabbled in making my own spinners before.
Has anyone here made their own crankbaits - either buying balsa blanks and then adding in the lip, paint and hooks or buying the unpainted, unhooked plastic bodies?
I am interested in general as I think it would be a fun thing to try when not on the water or during the winter, and I also think my family might be interested in trying it as well.

Any help - what to do, what not to do and especially where to buy - I think there are beginner kits available, but I have had trouble locating them anywhere. Links to websites (or your website for any of the tackle shops) would be great.
Thanks in advance
Gordy
gussser
Participant
Participant

Post by gussser »

Yep---Been making lures for years. Old teaspoon --cut handle-drill holes --attach hook & leader---Great & cheap spoon----With BALSA you have to add weight-this needs to be balanced to keep the plug upright--screw eyes to attach hooks----I piece wooden clothes pin made into lure has caught my largest Bass to date. Back in the day (1960's) we bought wooden lure BLANKS fron HERTERS in CHICAGO. Don't know if their still around. My sons & I exchange a "homemade lure" for every Christmas. On the internet there are sites that show spinner building ( again easy & fun ) If you require more info PM me & I can go into greater detail. Gussser :) :) :)
garzleflop
Participant
Participant

Post by garzleflop »

This website sells just about everything you'll need to make all kinds of lures from go-getters to crankbaits and they're Canadian. They have lots of step-by-step instructions too.

http://www.luremaking.com/
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

YakAttack
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by YakAttack »

I made a few crankbaits this winter - I don't ice fish so nothing better to do :)

I just used a piece of 2x4 and carved the shape. Drilled a hole to add the weight, plugged it up again. Used some plastic I had lying around for the lip.

I seem to learn a lot each one I make, by experimenting. Just do it and see what you get in the end, it's a lot of fun!
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Scott: all I got was a pile of wood shavings on the floor and a wife yelling at me to vacuum it up...I like the easy and clean way of buying mine.
gussser
Participant
Participant

Post by gussser »

almonte----vac up them woodshavings & use them as chum----after all you are using a WOODEN lure. :lol: :lol: :lol:
OTRA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by OTRA »

I went to the local hobby store and got my parts. Used .020 music wire running inside the balsa then wrapped the ends so I could attach the line in the front and treble on the back. Used second piece for the bottom treble attachment. The lexan sheets were expensive and I didn't have the right saw to cut out the lips very well. I'd buy those next time. I found a location on the web about 6 months ago, so I know they exist I just don't remember the address.

Getting the crankbaits to run true will be a challenge.

The best part was my daughter sat down and starting painting them for me
LadyFish68
Participant
Participant

Post by LadyFish68 »

I have dabbled a few times in making a crankbait or just doing some crazy things to my spinners. Just yesterday there I was cleaning the spoons and adding some cool colours to the one side, then sealing it with a clear coat of base coat ( nail polish) . Just have fun experiment with the many different colour combinations and designs. Thats what it is all about.
Fisher Dude
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fisher Dude »

garzleflop wrote:This website sells just about everything you'll need to make all kinds of lures from go-getters to crankbaits and they're Canadian. They have lots of step-by-step instructions too.

http://www.luremaking.com/
I fished for muskie with the guy (Steve) that runs this place. Great guy - I'm sure he'd treat you well.
LadyFish68
Participant
Participant

Post by LadyFish68 »

Does anyone or can anyone tell me how to use a bait caster?
I'm old fashioned and love the spincaster rods much better, but recently I was given a Shimano bait caster, I'm a lil nerved by the whole idea of this bait caster. If anyone can give me some pointers that would be greatly appreciated. Thnx :wink: