Baitcaster's Pro's & Cons

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Raven
Participant
Participant

Baitcaster's Pro's & Cons

Post by Raven »

Hey guys and gals im looking to get one for this year's fishing but i have no idea which ones to look into and ones to stay away from. I'm a spinning reel type of guy but looking to add a baitcaster to my boat. what are some tips you guys have learned from using these?

appreciate the feedback!

:D
SteveO
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SteveO »

Good question Raven - I'm in the same boat. Looking forward to seeing some comments on this age-old subject. I'd like to get a feel for how much I'm giving up by sticking with a spinning reel.
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

Baitcasters...

PRO...you'll really enjoy using one

CON...you'll be stuck with spinning reels that you won't want to use ever again.

Go to Ed's or LeBarons, palm as many different styles and brands as you can and go with the one that just feels right.

Then practice practice practice before you hit the water

I have a Diawa, really like it, I have an Abu Garcia, really like it, I have a shimano and I really like that one too.
Jair
Participant
Participant

Post by Jair »

To speed up the "learning curve" you may want to use a super line as your 1st spool. Has a tendency to hold to the spool a little better than mono/flocrbn. (less backlashing/birdnests)

Just remember that we were born with thumbs for a reason.....1 was to use baitcasters!!! :lol:

Cheers
YakAttack
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by YakAttack »

I got a baitcaster setup for christmas and have practised with it, and did some shoreline fishing with it in early January. Don't be nervous about learning how to use it, it's not that hard to pick up. Lot of fun to use, can't wait to actually catch a fish with it!

I went to Lebaron, the guy there was very helpful about picking the reel/rod combo.
Peppino
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peppino »

If you're like me and retrieve a spinning reel with your left hand, make sure you try a left handed baitcaster......my first baitcaster was a right handed one and got completely turned off by them. It wasn't until later that I discovered the lefties.......haven't gone back to spinning since! I think a lot of people settled for right handed baitcasters and winded up hating them.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

I retreive a spinning reel with my left, my baitcaster with my right, and to switch hands with either one just doesn't feel right. Spend time with a dealer who will take the time to do a couple of tests to determine which is right for you and then give you a quick lesson o how to set them up and cast with them. There is a learning curve with baitcasters, but once you master them you will love them.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Don't cheap out!

Spend as much as you possibly can. any reel over 150.00 will be an excellent choice.

Each brand casts differently. Setup is key. using the internal brakes, mag brakes cast control and selecting the right lure. (heavier is better to learn with).

Most importantnly got ot a shop where you can try the reels that you are interested in. It might be cheaper at Leb..n or BPS but it isn't if you don't know how to use and can't return

Of course you could just buy a Shimano Calais DC @ 800$. its computer controlled.
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

I actualy use both right and left handed models.

Off of the top of my head I cannot say if I have a preference but I do switch due to tennis elbow.
Raven
Participant
Participant

Post by Raven »

Thanks for the feedback fella's you sure covered some questions i had about those.......they sure look interesting i will take a trip to possibly Labarons and try out a few different models. Another question i have is you hear about baitcasters are notorious about line twist and your spool fowling up on you and causing a huge birds nest? How do you prevent that.....what brand of fishing line works best with a baitcaster? Do you have to hold your thumb on the button while you cast it out?

thanks agian

Boris
Peppino
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peppino »

By using a baitcaster you eliminate line twist........thumbing the spool sorta comes naturally, you won't even notice you're doing it.

Penn5 and Normware basically summarized the rest.

The species you're targeting should determine the diameter of your line. A knowledgable salesperson should show you and explain the features of how a baitcaster works.

Peppino
hawgbass
Participant
Participant

Post by hawgbass »

Hi Raven. I been using baitcasters for over 18 years and love them. There are no real con's with them. They are another fishing tool that is design for a specific type of fishing. As a rule, 12 lbs line is the min you should run on baitcasters, and that's for open water use only. If you use lower, the line tends to kink easily and will break. Spinning reels, usually 10/12 lb max, as the castability will be affected. So to sum up, if you are fishing open water and casting baits 3/8 ounces or less use spinning gear. If your casting crankbaits, spinnerbaits, texas rigged plastic etc, for pike or bass or fishing weeds...definately use a baitcaster. Remember, the rod you purchase has just as much affect on your fishability of the baitcaster... you don't want an medium lite rod, to fish in the weeds, you will have the same problems getting the fish out of the weeds you do using spinnning gear. So, take the advice the Toobinator (Ed @Pattletails) gave you and drop down to his shop and he will set you up properly and he will definitely reduce your learning curve with some advice and tips etc. :lol: :lol:

Cheers, Frank
Raven
Participant
Participant

Post by Raven »

Thanks everyone for the reply's you have explained my questions very well! :D

Hawgbass ill take your advise and talk to Toobintor and go see what he has to offer and get me one.
gussser
Participant
Participant

Post by gussser »

Who's a pickin on my 200dc Calais ????? It ain't got no Computer thingy. It's digital control.. I thinks that means ya has to use your fingers. Ain't they called Digets ?????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
OBD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by OBD »

Hey raven

Just a hint, when you spool up the reel, make sure you don't do it "the wrong way" :lol: It's not fun! Go see Ed @ paddletales, he's awesome and will take some time with you to make sure you really enjoy the product! (he even spools it up for ya :wink:)

Nod :wink: