Can I use my Quebec license?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Bender
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Can I use my Quebec license?

Post by Bender »

Okay here's the scoop.

I live in Ontario and have an Ontario license, but I'm also buying a Quebec license because we have a spring trip planned up at Lac Kipawa this year. The question is, because the Ottawa is a federal waterway can I use 5 tip ups because I'm in possession of a valid Quebec license or if because I'm a resident of Ontario, do I have to abide by those rules and use only two?
If anyone can clarify this it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Brian
Rex Mundi
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rex Mundi »

I do not know for sure but I think that you have to abide be the regulation that you entered the water on.

If you enter form Ontario you need a ON license and must obay the rules of it and vissa versa for the PQ side.

I may be totally wrong and feel free to flame me vigurously if I am. I just remember discussions from last year about the PQ fuzz busting fishermen with ON liscense that were launching from the PQ side.
Bender
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bender »

I remember that as well but I also remember someone stating that it was okay to enter onto the ice from the Quebec side with an Ontario license to fish.... so what's the dif really?
Hopefully we'll get some clarification.
Bruin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

NOT SURE BUT

Post by Bruin »

I know for sure that waterways that divide provinces are fishable with either licence BUT it is my understanding that if you are ice fishing on the ontario side of the Ottawa river (for example) then you must obide by Ontario rules and vice versa...BUT I may be totally wrong...I fish where I know I am welcome

Vive L'Ontario
Just buggin!!!! :D :D :D
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

If you're an Ontario resident that has purchased a PQ license you can do the 5 tip-up thing...only on the Quebec side of the Ottawa. If you're an Ontario resident with an On. license and wish to fish the Quebec side of the Ottawa....you can.....but only with 2 lines. :)

....strange avatar you've got there Bruin. :?
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Bender
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bender »

Thanks for clearing that up guys.
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

bowzog wrote:If you're an Ontario resident with an On. license and wish to fish the Quebec side of the Ottawa....you can.....but only with 2 lines. :)
bowzog, does that apply to open water as well?? would i be allowed to fish the ottawa river from shore on the quebec side with just an ontario liscence?

cheers,
-Wolfman
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Clap_For_The_Wolfman wrote: bowzog, does that apply to open water as well?? would i be allowed to fish the ottawa river from shore on the quebec side with just an ontario liscence?

cheers,
-Wolfman
Not 100% sure on that Clap.......I'll look into it. :)

joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi dont rely stop to think if you are frome ontario and fish wit a ontario permit you are allowed only 2 tip up.....

so me if i am frome quebec and fish wit a quebec license in ONTARIO I WOULD BE ALLOWD 5 TIP UP..... 8) it would be the same as the example.... :roll:

I THINK YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW THE REG OFF THE PROVINCE YOU ARE IN.........I THINK.MMMM GOOD QUESTION.

man that would be somthing if because i have a quebec license i could use the reg frome quebec side...mm

this border thing on the ottawa river is sutch a pain.. :x

1..quebec 5 tip up/ontario 2 tip up
2...quebec musky lenght limit smaller then ontario side.... :?
3..quebec side.....allowed fish wit a light ext at night.....not ontario
4...quebec side,allowed to have alcohole in the boat and people drinkinf it.not ontario side.

becasue if its the case i would be able to do all those thing on ontario side...but i dont think i am i have to go by what the province i am in.....

i think.....................good question.

but ut my own opinion......i am allowed only 2 line in ontarion.even if i have ontario and quebec license.

joco
Last edited by joco on Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi bender......

do remember that qc fishing license is finish on the 31 march.......not like ontario.......

so dont get a license now if you are going only in spring,,because that way you will have to get another one in the spring..... :? .

joco
Bender
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bender »

Thanks Joco I wasn't aware of that. You just saved me some change :D

I guess I don't have to worry about the answer to my original question then... at least not this year :wink:
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Bowzog I think you are wrong!! If you have an Ontario license and you fish the Quebec side you go by the Que. regs, so you are allowed the 5 tip-ups. (remember the JP ice outing 3 years back) and somebody mentioned it goes by the side you get on to the river, I am pretty sure that is also wrong. Cause I fish in Wendover all the time and when we go for pike we cross the river and fish on the Quebec side and we use 5 tip-ups.

You can use either licence to fish border waters but you have to go with the regulations of the side that you are actually fishing. So you need a map to know where that border line is.

Dan
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Clap , The answer to your ? is yes , you can fish the Ottawa river from the Quebec Shore. But If you are boating and going up a river on the Quebec side that is where the regs change . I think that every river is different. The North Nation River in Plaisance across from Wendover I can go right up to the bridge of the 148 with my boat , Ont. licence and I am still legal. But I "think" that as soon as you pass the mouth on La Lievre River in Masson then you are in Quebec and you need a Quebec lic. But the border waters is zone 12 (ont.) I think 25 (que.) so you have to know what is in those zones and that is what you can fish.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Wallyboss wrote:Bowzog I think you are wrong!!
What!?!? Me? Wrong? :lol: :lol: ......actually Wally, I checked the regs in depth and you are correct sir! :) .....but personally......I couldn't be bothered with havin' to try and watch 5 tippys :lol: .....two's enough fer me! 8) :)

oh......and Clap......Wally's right on the open water thing too. :lol: :wink:

RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I don't want to pretend I know the answer to all these questions but I have asked a CO this myself....

His answer...If you are an Ontario resident with both licenses fishing the Ottawa...you are to abide by Ontario regs...that means no 5 lines no matter where you are on the river...if you were really that deseperate to fish 5 lines....just dont produce your Ontario one when asked I guess....

As far as the shore fishing question...I've never asked that question but I highly doubt you'd be in the right fishing from shore in PQ with an Ontario license....from a boat?....yes...but on PQ land...I wouldn't risk the argument....and had you decided to keep a few fish for the pan....and happen to be pulled over on your way home...(very unlikely)...good luck explaining where you caught the fish with an Ontario license only while driving in PQ...

Just a thought...

RJ