EATING FISH

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
muskymike
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

EATING FISH

Post by muskymike »

How many of you eat some of the fish you catch and from where do you eat fish from Ottawa river Rideau river the St Lawrence or other lakes myself I havent eaten local fish in so long . Do you think its safe ????to eat ???
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I'll eat crappies and eyes out of the Ottawa river without blinking an eye, But any eye over 4-5 lbs goes back in.

Ministry issues a book every year what fish to eat and what not to eat. But if we were going to stop eating whatever is said to be bad for us, we would all die of starvation.
Last edited by Wallyboss on Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bassringer
Participant
Participant

Post by bassringer »

all catch and release!!! good fishing in the ottawa area but there is a book put out by NR telling you what u should and shouldnt eat youll be glowing by the time your 40 and have kids with god knows what ???keep away from consuming anything out of ottawa and rideau river and the larry
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Pacific Salmon is from a much cleaner water.(EXXON VALDEZ anyone)
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

bassringer wrote:all catch and release!!! good fishing in the ottawa area but there is a book put out by NR telling you what u should and shouldnt eat youll be glowing by the time your 40 and have kids with god knows what ???keep away from consuming anything out of ottawa and rideau river and the larry
Bassringer....I suggest you pick the book up yourself before you make such blanket mis-informed statements.

RJ
bassringer
Participant
Participant

Post by bassringer »

IF pregnant woman and woman in there child bearing years shouldnt eat any you take chance i would not?????
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

ok......there is some reading about this frome the gouvernement...what can be eat and how mtch time a week and so on......

i did eat fish frome just about every water in the regions,,,,,,,and did eat a LOT off fish frome the ottawa river..

the river is not the purest around....but there some poeple do eat in restaurent that are a lot worst then this...

and one more thing.........there is some comercial fishing in the ottawa river....where do you think those fish goes...........fish market.

same thing for all comercial fishing all over the world.in all kind off no so clean water..........they become fish strip in the supermarket etc....

they do look good in the fancy pakage.but they still mabe come frome reel dirty water.we dont just no....

wen you see catfish or bullhead supper in spring in the restaurant in the region..............there like 90% its frome the ottawa river....

all fast food or those junk food.like ships...candys,,,all those stuff.is like a bit worst then the fish frome ottawa river. :roll:

i am no saying go ahead and eat a lot off fish frome ottawa river,,,,but i am sher its better eat that fish then a lot off stuff you will find on the shelf at your supermarket.........

and about those baby or pregnat wife............look at all what they not supose to eat or drink....... :shock: .......tons off stuff.

there is no great or pure stuff anymore........there is no 100% clean stuff anywhere...........the ogm stuff is alll over the place..

you think that apple is great to eat............sorry full off insecticide.... :?

that rawsbery,,,,,,,sorry even more insectiside..that carrots...ogm and insectiside... :? ....

so there is almost nothing now that is 100% danger free.....or that is clean..

ok.........bring me a little snak off walleye frome ottawa river anytime... :P

joco
muskymike
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by muskymike »

Did I open a can of worms cool lets go fishing!!!!!!!!!!!
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Can of worms!!! Great let's go catch a feed of crappies, my mouth is watering already.

I'll cook them up, I'll invite RJ and Joco and you can watch us stuff our face.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

It just really irks me when people are critical of our waterways around this area....we live in one of the best areas in Canada to fish...and yes some do enjoy takin some home to eat....don't be afraid or ashamed of doing it....

RJ
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

I like fishing, like eating fish also. Compared to other areas, we are fortunate to have a more pristine area of great waterways in close proximity, than many others.

Common sense does dictate, the larger the fish, the greater the possibility of the undesirable elements that fish might store within them and not wanting to consume them.

I, personally think, we're pretty lucky in these parts. (I won't even get into +10 in almost mid-Jan). :lol:
Suddsy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Suddsy »

I agree with you RJ and Joco. 8) I too get very tired of those well intentioned but mis-informed comments about the so called unsafe fish from our local lakes and rivers. :lol: :lol: I have been eating fish from these waters for almost forty years and I don't glow in the dark yet. :shock: These same people who talk about the polluted waters, will go to the grocery store and buy anything off the shelf without questioning its level of safety. Even when we are told that all of our vegetables should be washed in a bleach and water mixture for safety sake, spinach has been poisining people lately, food is being genetically altered and safety standards for many of the countries we import our food from are non-existent. In may parts of Asia the rice that they export to us is grown in human excrement as a fertilizer and farmed Atlantic Salmon grown in the ocean in many parts of the world are now being banned for consumption.

About 25 years ago I taked to an Ontario government fishery bioligist and asked him about the contaminants in Lake Ontario and how they affected the eating safety of fish. He told me that the guidelines the government had established are very safe. 8) He also told me that much of the mineral contaminants that are being reported on were always in the water. :shock: :shock: In years gone by technology only allowed them to test in parts per hundred or thousand but with new technology they are now testing in parts per million or billion and are therefore able to get a better understanding of the makeup of the contents of the water.

I think it is always best to put the bigger fish back and keep the smaller ones for eating as it is good conservation and the smaller fish taste better. So my advise to anyone is pay attention to the consumption guidlines. and then enjoy some of your catch. It is not only a Canadian heritage but fresh caught fish is just the best danm eating fish you will ever have.

Suddsy
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi muskymike.......

no can off worm..... :lol:

actualy,,,,,,it is good to see what people think and have to say.

but people should also see............THE REAL THING HERE.....

what is the real danger....

i dont see myself some real danger in ottawa river fish.....but we do have to be carefull...off what kind and what the amount and how mutch fish a week or so we do eat.

but all this is the same frome all kind off deferent water......

I could show you some test result i got here in books.......what is found...in the milk you drink...... :roll: (mabe out off subject) but we just dont see all the bad stuff there is in the food we do eat.

at least in a fish......there some bad stuff.....but some off them can be almost eleminate....the way you cook..or the way you clean a fish........for the size off fish kept.........smaller is always better then big...for mercury content etc etc.

actualy its a good subject..................thanks.

joco
Suddsy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Suddsy »

Good comments Joco......and I also agree with you......this is a good subject for this site. Maybe it will help to clear up some misconceptions.

Suddsy
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I'm from Northern Ontario, Pretty close to where MooseBunk is!! Years back, most of the Northern lakes were some of the most polluted lakes around , but you wouldn't think so being up there nowhere around pollution. But for a while all that people around the globe were talking about was Acid Rain. Well that's how the lakes up there were affected. All the industries south of there were sending all there toxins up in the air in the form of smoke, then that smoke would become part of the air then during rainstorms all of those pollutants would come down back to earth miles away from where they originated.
Just as an example, the lake that MooseBunk brought FloatFishin to fish at last winter Lake Kesagami, as pretty well the same restriction as the Ottawa River. But you have all seen the pictures from the plane, that lake is miles away from any industry, actually miles away from anything, it is smack in the middle of Northern Ontario wilderness.

Maybe 35 year ago when there was almost no policies on pollution I wouldn't have eaten the fish, but 35 years ago nobody talked about it. I am sure that the fish is better and safer eating today in the Ottawa river than it ever was.

And that is why I have no problems whatsoever of eating fish from the Ottawa river or The Bay of Quinte( had a couple of shore lunches in Desoronto last May) and that fish was as good as anything else I '
ve eaten around here.

It is a really good subject for sure as long as people can see the two sides of the story.

Me with my 3rd eye and deformed ears. I will listen to everything that is said on this subject.

had to throw in something like that.