SHIMANO TALORA PLANNER RODS

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
mallard1
Participant
Participant

SHIMANO TALORA PLANNER RODS

Post by mallard1 »

just wondering if anyone is using the shimano talora downrigger planner board rods. im thinking of buying the 7 foot one piece medium action to stricktly use with offshore in line boardsto run cranks and bottom bouncers.any feed back would be appreciated before i buy 6 of them .
mallard1
ynot
Participant
Participant

Post by ynot »

I have the 10' Talora wireline rods and LOVE them. In my opinion there is not another rod manufactured to the same level of quality of the Talora's.

Someone tried to tell me the Blue Diamond Okuma's were just as good and cost half the price, I laughed :lol:

Go for it, they are great rods.

Tony

P.S. I have 2 x 10' Talora Wireline rods paired with Tekota 600lc reels for sale in classifieds. $400 a combo.
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: SHIMANO TALORA PLANNER RODS

Post by eye-tracker »

mallard1 wrote:just wondering if anyone is using the shimano talora downrigger planner board rods. im thinking of buying the 7 foot one piece medium action to stricktly use with offshore in line boardsto run cranks and bottom bouncers.any feed back would be appreciated before i buy 6 of them .
mallard1
Mallard,
I am only talking walleye fishing hear so please keep this in mind. The Shimano Talora are not fast enough (soft and slow response) in the tip for in-line boards or trolling cranks. With the down-rigger glass design the rods are to springy for bottom bouncing and it will be very difficult to control or feel the bouncer, also the rods are very heavy and your hand/arms will become tired quickly while holding a down-rigger rod all day long.

My recommendation for a trolling rod is a graphite composite design around 8 feet in length with extra fast action (soft tip section with a quick response) and a very strong butt section. This rod will work excellent with long-line trolling, pulling in-line boards and running lead-core for walleye trolling. The best rod I have ever used for all of the above trolling scenarios is the G-Loomis WTR-941. For bottom bouncing you will want to move to a shorter bait casting rod with a small profile bait casting reel. The optimum length is around 7 feet with a little stiffer tip section so you can control the heavy bouncers and hold the rod all day with out hand or arm stress. Once again G-Loomis has a WJR813C-BB bottom bouncing rod that is outstanding in design and I enjoy using the rod will bouncing up walleye.

G-Loomis rods are premium rods for serious walleye fishing and can help any angler improve in their fishing ability thanks to the design and action. If you are stuck on Shimanno I would recommend you check out their Compre Walleye Rods, they are a better design for walleye fishing then the Talora which are designed for ocean and great lakes fishing.

If you are in the Ottawa area and would like to borrow one of my G-Loomis bottom bouncer or In-Line planner set-ups to try on the water just let me know. Also if you have any questions about any manufacturers rod action etc. for walleye fishing just ask away.

-s
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

have to agree with what sheldon said about the sensitivity...its a great lakes salmonoid species rod, but not the best for walleye.

however, like sheldon said, take a look at the shimano compre trolling rods....(if the beauty g loomis is a little expensive)

i have the 7'10" compre trolling rod, and its perfect for what your describing....about $120 right now....

make sure you ask for the compre trolling rods rather than the normal compre rods....the trolling rods are made out of their new TC4 construction....wow is all i can say.
Erie-Eyes
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Erie-Eyes »

I also agree with Sheldon & Steve. I liked the Loomis rod but purchased the Shimano Compre Trolling model because it telescopes (from 7'10'' to approx. 6'9") and will therefore fit in the 7' rod locker on my boat, and can easily be stored at home without taking it apart. I have a Shimanio 300 Takota linecounter reel mounted on this rod, and have been extemely pleased with both this year. I also have Talora rods and like them for salmon, but find them to heavy for walleye.
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

i have the same reel on it as well....gotta love the combo. Tekota 300LC
:D
mallard1
Participant
Participant

Post by mallard1 »

sheldon steve and erie eyes thankyou for the info regaurding shamano talora rods. your info couldn't come at a better time i am heading over to the states tomorrow to look for rods . i plan on buying 6 of them so i don't want to be unhappy with what i buy .your opinions are highly respected on this site and other sites. i'm quite shure if i listen to you's i won't be dissapointed. i will be down at BOQ staying at merlands the 19 to the 26 if you are going to be there during that period look me up i will
buy you a cold one.i will be fishing out of a back lund 2025 pro v with a merc verado on it .once again thankyou for your input.

MALLARD1
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Mallard1,

I should be at the quinteFishing weekend on the 25. I will keep an eye open for you.
BTW I love driving the Verado...the digital shift and power steering is sweet :D

-sheldon
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Now the question needs to be asked, why would you head to the States to buy rods. I get Americans on vacation in my store buying equipment, especially rods and reels, because it is cheaper than buying in the states. In the US, manufacturers can dictate selling price, whereas in Canada, that is illegal.

I also have the G Loomis and Compre rods in stock.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

what are the 7'10" compre trolling rods going for toob?
mallard1
Participant
Participant

Post by mallard1 »

i go to the states because i live only twenty minutes from windsor detroit border. and trying to get quality tackel in windsor and surounding area down here is a joke. and if you get lucky and find what your loking for the price is outrages. i went over today and picked up two 7'3 trolling compree's cost was 130.00 canadian each. i will try them next weeekend and if i like them i will be buying four more. toob if you can do better than that let me know i will gladly buy from you. sheldon and steve thanks again for putting me on to these rods.

MALLARD1
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Steve: pm sent

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Paul Shibata
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Paul Shibata »

In addition to what Ed said, prices in Canada have never been more competitive particularly with the strength of our dollar. Furthermore on a few of the American message boards that I participate on it is generally agreed that the cheapest place to buy G.Loomis rods in the world is in Canada. For example the WTR941 trolling rod which Sheldon mentioned sells regularly for less than $200 CDN. A handmade rod which according to many of the PWT touring pros effectively replaces all of their flatline rods, leadcore rods and their inline planer board rods. I would encourage you all to inquire at least and more importantly support your Canadian dealers.

Good luck and be particularly careful out on the big water.

Paul Shibata
Erie-Eyes
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Erie-Eyes »

mallard1 wrote:i go to the states because i live only twenty minutes from windsor detroit border. and trying to get quality tackel in windsor and surounding area down here is a joke. and if you get lucky and find what your loking for the price is outrages. i went over today and picked up two 7'3 trolling compree's cost was 130.00 canadian each. i will try them next weeekend and if i like them i will be buying four more. toob if you can do better than that let me know i will gladly buy from you. sheldon and steve thanks again for putting me on to these rods.

MALLARD1
Hi Mallard1 - What part of Essex County are you from ? I'm originally from Amherstburg and understand why you went to Detroit !! I still make it home to fish with my brothers end of June/early July every year. Let me know where your located - perhaps next year we could get together for a cool one. I'm sure you will enjoy your new rods - I like mine. Bill
mallard1
Participant
Participant

Post by mallard1 »

ERIE EYES

it's nice to hear from some one who was originaly from hear and still come's back to fish this great area. i now live east of belle river before stone point . any time you come down feel free to get in touch with me.i jig fish the detroit river from spring until lake erie starts to produce. then back to the river in the fall then up to quinte in late fall.

MALLARD1