New at the Trout / Salmon Fishing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
-Smitty-
Participant
Participant

New at the Trout / Salmon Fishing

Post by -Smitty- »

Hi there everyone,

This site seems like a great place to swap info and gain some great knowledge from a large pool of people who seem to know what they're doing. So here are some questions i have regarding trout and salmon fishing that I have just started to do.

I'm used to bass fishing and have a hell of a time identifying trout and salmon. Does anyone have a good resource for identification of what i'm seeing in the creeks and rivers. It seems that the fish change appearance at different times of year, during their runs etc.

also, are the fish on spawning runs any good to eat, or do most people just catch and release for sport?

any info would be great...or re-direction to resources to increase my knowledge on this new line of fishing

thanks again in advance

Smitty
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by getnjiggywithit »

You would be surprised at the info found in the regs! There is a chart that shows all the differant types of fish, how to identify,spawning times, average size, etc. good luck :)
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Smitty: If you ask me you are in a great central location for lakes with trout...You have Lake Ontario which for a beginner may be your best bet(with a guide) otherwise it is too big to not know where to go..I have great luck in the spring and fall for rainbows...They usually come in to shallower waters to feed at those times...As for spawning I am not too sure as I do not fish streams much(only in April in Port Hope)...I love lake fishing for trout around Lanark County area you have almost every species of trout available...speckles thru the ice is amazing so is Splake. Anyway many people will have their own advise and tips that work but the best bet is to fish and dicover your own strategy.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL