GPS HELP ME!!!!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fishin loon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

GPS HELP ME!!!!

Post by fishin loon »

Hi Folks

Well here is my big problem. I bought a Garmin GPSMAP76CX. Then I bought Blue-chart Americas V6. well I live in Haley station near Cobden. Well the only lakes and water stuff this whole unit shows is for southern Ont, great lakes Ottawa river st lawrence but I fish from white lake to sud-bury north bay algonquin park back roads of calabogie to centennial lake denbgh lake and all the trout lakes around there but they are not on my gps so I bought a $700 dollar you are here.

Please please someone help me I will say prayers for ya to have a good fishing season

Fishin Loooooooooooooon help

paul.lavoie2@sympatico.ca
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by getnjiggywithit »

That is a sweet gps you got there! You need the map source software! Get the canadian topo, it's a full on topo for the entire country :wink:
fishin loon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fishin loon »

will that give me the roads and all the lake stuff like depth and shoals . I Would hate to spend another 150.00 for nothing
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

fishin loon wrote:will that give me the roads and all the lake stuff like depth and shoals . I Would hate to spend another 150.00 for nothing
Sorry,
No inland lake bathymetric data is available for the Garmin line of GPS units. The charted waters (Trent-Severn, Rideau, Ottawa Waterways) are readily available to companies, but most inland lakes have not been converted to digital data, due to the Federal Government copyright issues and expense to the aforementioned mapping companies. The only digital data presently available for a few inland lakes is from Navionics which is compatible with Lowrance, Eagle, Humminbird.

All the best with your new unit...

-et
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by McQ »

There is an Ontario CD available for Garmin products from Trak Maps. You can order directly from their website - not sure if there are local dealers carrying the product. There is also a Quebec CD.

http://www.trakmaps.com/secure/catalog/ ... 046521b404

It covers the following lakes and more are being added all the time.

Here's the current content.

TRAK ONTARIO FOR GARMIN GPS $159

Bob's Lake
Baptiste and Elephant Lakes
Big Gull Lake
Black Lake
Boshkung and Twelve mile Lakes
Buck Lake
Calabogie
Canoe Lake
Chandos Lake
Charleston Lake
Christie Lake
Crow
Desert lake
Devil Lake (Ontario)
Eagle Lake
Gull Lake
Haliburton Lake
Healey
Jack Lake
Kahshe Lake
Kashagawigamog
Kawagama Lake
Kennisis Lake
Lac Seul
Loughborough Lake
Mary, Fairy,Vernon and Peninsula
Mazinaw (Ontario)
Mississipi Lake
Opinicion Lake(Ontario)
Otty Lake
Paudash and Lower Paudash
Pikes Lake
Redstone lake
Six Mile Lake
Skeleton
Temagami
Three Mile
White Lake
Wolfe Lake
Last edited by McQ on Sat May 13, 2006 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Oops haven't used Garmin in 3 years,

McQ is one up on me on this topic. It looks like the same Canadian digital data that was sold to Navionics is also available in the Garmin proprietary format on CDROM.

Let's hope the lakes you are looking for are available.

Sorry for any misleading information.

Once again...enjoy your new GPS.

-Sheldon Hatch
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
fishin loon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fishin loon »

That is just great. keep the info coming. I was begining to think I bought the wrong gps.

Paul Lavoie

Fishin loon
fish-n-nut
Participant
Participant

Post by fish-n-nut »

Fishin Loon,
Have you ordered your trak map yet? I'm about to order an Ontario lake map for my GPSMAP76C and was wondering how you like yours if you've ordered one.
Regards,
Fish-n-Nut
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

I bought the canadian topo software and it has helped me on all the other lakes we have fished on. I have blue nav on my gps and its great for major waterways. On the topo it does show on alot of lakes places to avoid like underwater rock and shoals that could be potentially a problem, but i mainly use it to get around and back home safely without getting lost especially at night.
fishin loon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Returning

Post by fishin loon »

I think I am just going to send the whole system back and invest in a better fish finder sonar the one that shows a 3D look at the bottom. I just thought for $1000.00 dollars It would show what I wanted Don't get me wrong the trak maps and the lakes it covers is most excellent it seems its just the lakes I fish they don't show. but they will in the future 3D sonar is here now. UNTIL I BUY IT then it wont work on the lakes I go to.

Fishin Loon[/b]
Paul Shibata
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re. 3D

Post by Paul Shibata »

Fishing Loon,

Before you invest in technology that you are hoping is going to solve some of your described dilemmas you may want to reconsider. The premise of 3 dimensional imaging using any form of sonar (both audible and ultrasonic frequencies) has been the principal aspiration for the entire imaging industry. Certainly some technology currently exists that enables images in three dimensions to be created from sound waves as seen in the medical field. MRA (magnetic resonance angiogram) a specific type of MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) is perhaps the best example of constructing 3D images from 2 dimensional data. However the resulting pictures require a tremendous amount of interpretation and are certainly not what one would expect in both clarity and detail. Furthermore, picture quality 2D images created from sound waves is still beyond most technologies.

The amount of information or data that can be carried by a sound wave is proportional to its frequency suggesting that the higher the frequency the more detail that can be constructed from this data. Ultrasound (the highest frequency) is used for this reason when constructing images of a developing fetus, yet the images are extremely fuzzy despite the high frequency, and unbelievable cost of the technology. Furthermore the seemingly poor images of our children or siblings that we may have seen were taken in a perfect environment with the transducer placed directly on the mothers stomach using a gel to ensure ideal sound transfer and not from the rocking hull of a boat from 100 feet away.

My babble in the preceding paragraphs wasn't to confuse nor to demonstrate my understanding of the subject (actually I know enough to know that I know nothing) rather to demonstrate some of the hurdles that must be overcome in order to create true 3D images that are accurate. Lastly the simple premise of perspective must also be considered when creating a 3D picture. Our eyes are separated by only a few centimeters but without this small gap we would lose the ability to perceive objects in 3 dimensions as we would lose our depth of field. If you close one eye everything instantly appears "flat". For this reason in poor light conditions drivers that have lost the sight from one eye should not be driving. To begin to create 3D images using the basic technology that is employed in even the most cutting edge fish-finders, multiple transducers spaced along the length of a vessel would also be required. This does not even consider the limitations of the low frequencies necessitated for fishing sonars. Failure to satisfy these amongst other basic requirements for 3D or "picture" imaging would fundamentally prevent accurate image creation.

Please excuse my long-winded response, the entire fish-hawk community has often provided me with assistance through their comments and I am hoping my thoughts may help. Unfortunately I am certain that you would experience equal frustrations with a 3D or picture imaging sonar if you were to question the accuracy given your criteria.

Good luck in your quest,

Paul Shibata