Musky casting rod question

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Musky casting rod question

Post by Mr.J. »

My everyday casting rod is 6'6" medium action, you know, a pike and bass rod.

I would like to get a musky rod specific to casting the larger heavier lures and won't kill my arm after a full day on the water. I already have trolling rods so not looking for advice on those.

So, is a shorter, say 6' rod better, or a longer rod, say 7', and what action am I looking for? Medium, medium heavy, or just heavy power?

So to be specific, longer rod or shorter rod, stiffer rod or one with more flex.

This is strictly for casting larger heavier lures and not just retrieving them but incorporating the jerking or pulling motion and doing this for several hours without dying from exhaustion, and of course a good hook set action is required.

What do you recommend and I am not really looking for brand names just yet.
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

Hey Mr.J ,anywhere from 6' to 8' depending on personal preferance. I like a 6'6" fast action . Shimano compre make excellent casting rod within a budget. Then there is always St. croix and G-loomis $$$$$.Google (muskie casting rods ). Alot of choices!!!!
Lebaron has good Shimano rods and not to $$$$$ :D
Peppino
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peppino »

Hey Mr.J,

If you want to splurge and never buy another musky casting rod again, like MuskyMatt said, get the St-Croix, (Avid series 6'6" or 6'9"). Light as hell, and strong!! Assuming you're trowing hard body baits.

I happened to pick up a Cortland CTR 6'6"all purpose, from a musky guide. I couldn't believe how light it was, truly impressed!!. I googled it, about $80 usd. Although I don't need anymore casting rods, I would definately buy one again.

As for specs, 17-30lbs, 1-3 oz, fast action, check the Avid at Ed's.

Peppino
Last edited by Peppino on Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only real men snore!
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi mrj.........

next time you go at the store in bells corner,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you have to take a look at the rapala musky rod.............for the price......it could be better then other expensive rod........take a look....... :wink:

joco.
MuskieStalker1
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Just my 2c

Post by MuskieStalker1 »

I would first ask how tall you are? I prefer the 7.6 St Croix Premere MH
2 reasons one because of the extra long handle . This you will find helps with casting large plugs jerk baits and buck tales , and enables you to use your arm instead of your wrist ( Less stress) The second reason is vesatility. This rod will also work very well for trolling.
i know that Ed at Paddletales has them and they now come with a 5 year warentee.
Hope this helps
Kert Lavigne
Muskie Stalker
:lol: :lol:
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

As someone new to this thing I would recommend staying away from the 7'6" or longer rods. I think a good quality 6'6" to 7'2" will do you just fine. I also like fast action in the medium to heavy category. I would reccomend the Cadilac or rods and going with a G-loomis if your budget allows it. It lighter which will allow you to cast all day no problem.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

Mr J

Ask a group of muskie guys what the best rod is and youll get as many answers. I decided on the StCroix PM70MHF. At 7' I can cast with it, jerk with it without hitting the water too much and troll with it. A longer rod is nice to cast but tricky to jerk with if you are not tall or you have a low boat. A shorter rod will limit your casting distance - maybe not a problem - and personally I think you feel less of the fight, bit like a winch. This is why I chose the 7'. Now, I am not as experienced as other posters, just my 2c
Paul Shibata
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Paul Shibata »

Mr J,

From the description and criteria that you listed clearly you are seeking a rod that will minimize your grief and translate efficiently your efforts into success.

Personally the first (all purpose) rod in a Muskie anglers arsenal should be reasonably long (7') and stout enough to effectively handle the larger baits even in a trolling situation. However a well designed rod employing the best of graphites does not need to be ridiculously stiff to achieve the aforementioned. Ideally to simplify and reduce the effort exerted when casting water-logged bucktails a softer tip which loads with less effort will fundamentally be far less tiresome at the end of a long day. Traditionally muskie rods and many bass rods have been obligated to maintain stiffness throughout the rod blank if sufficient power in the mid and butt sections are to be achieved. This unfortunately is often a reflection in the limitations of the graphites employed. Better materials provide the opportunity for the blank designers to create tapers with varying wall thicknesses to achieve tip sections that load easily but as a function of the materials have greater recovery rates ultimately translating into more powerful casts, hook-sets and fish-fighting control.

There are a number of better rod companies that have begun to experiment with some of the newer technologies and the results are seemingly less stiff rods (which are easier to fish) but with far greater power than their older "pool-cue" counterparts. Invariably a much nicer rod to fish with and far more effective.

G.Loomis has been involved in the fabrication and design of their graphite cloth since their inception (1970) and through their efforts they have developed the most advanced materials employed in the construction of rod blanks worldwide (GL3, IMX, GLX). Having said that there are many great muskie rods that will satisfy your requests however I think that the G.Loomis MUR 844C in the technique specific Muskie Series would be the perfect first muskie rod. This rod was originally designed for casting bucktails and cranks and is reflected in the casting taper however I personally have recommended this rod to many anglers who continually and successfully troll big plugs as well.

I may be introducing you to the bait monkey and for most of us once the introduction has been made we have never been able to get him off our back. Welcome to the club if you aren't already a card carrying lifetime member!!

Good luck,

Paul
Last edited by Paul Shibata on Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Fishhawk »

Thanks Paul for that explanation. The terms "Power" and "speed" and "loading" is something I have been paying more attention to in the last few years when it comes to my rod selections.

I'm gonna have to work on putting together an article on rod selection after Bobber has finished making certain modifications to this Forum that I know he has planned.

About all I could add was that no matter what kind of rod you use, casting musky-size baits and retrieving them at musky speed will likely leave you exhausted long before the day is over. For this amateur, 25 or 30 casts with some of the giant bucktails I've thrown means its time for a break and a knuckle-crack. :oops:

At least that's the way it is for me and my wimpy, non-Popeye-like forearms. :oops:
Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

Notice how all the recommended ones are expensive :D :D wonder if there are reps out here :D :D just kidding - Welcome to muskie fishing, the land of empty wallets.

FH has a good point, but thankfully, the waters local to Ottawa accommodate Trolling and Casting. So, fit some down-easters, cast a while, troll a while and wait for the rush.
Pieuvre
Participant
Participant

muskie season

Post by Pieuvre »

Seams muskie season is just around the corner, I am just starting out and love the advise I have gotten on here, will be posting some pics once it opens.. cant wait
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

It's still miles away.... :cry: -----not soon enough :cry:
meanmuskie
Participant
Participant

Post by meanmuskie »

a longer rod will be easier to figure 8 ,will cast a little further and may help reduce the number of muskies lost at boatside because the fish is under constant pressure. if you want to use jerkbaits a heavy action is needed otherwise the rod flexes too much when working the lure. i use a st.croix premier 6 ft 9 '' heavy action (pm69hf) for jerkbaits but find the rod to be a good all purpose rod if you only want one rod. hope this helps.
Lookinforlunkers
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lookinforlunkers »

I'm with meanmuskie on this one. I also use the St.croix 6'9. I find it a must for casting anything over about 3oz. And allright for everything else. If your gonna be casting big Jerks and glide baits you will need the heavier tip.
Rider23
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rider23 »

Lookinforlunkers wrote:Someone please send Sir Paul back to England.
:lol: