Backbays along Ottawa River in Quebec

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.

Should Quebec close these areas for boaters?

Yes
20%
No
80%

Total votes: 15

Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Backbays along Ottawa River in Quebec

Post by Seaweed »

I saw this story in the Ottawa Citizen online version and thought I better share it here.

It proposes making certain areas that are great fisheries off limits to anglers.

Quebec to turn Gatineau 'treasure' into wildlife refuge
24-square-km area of Ottawa River wetland visited by 300 species of birds

Dave Rogers, The Ottawa Citizen
Published: Friday, March 24, 2006
The Quebec government plans to create that province's largest urban wildlife refuge on Ottawa's doorstep.
Gatineau council got its first look this week at the plan for the refuge to go along the Ottawa River, between McLaurin Bay, south of Gatineau Airport, and Thurso.

The 24-square-kilometre refuge, between Highway 148 and the river, is visited by more than 300 bird species and includes what naturalists regard as some of the most significant wetlands along the Ottawa River. The province owns about 70 per cent of the land, but some property is owned by the municipality, a few private owners and the wetland conservation group, Ducks Unlimited.

The refuge will include Chief Island and Horseshoe Island south of Plaisance National Park. Most of the refuge is within Gatineau's city limits, with about five per cent is in the Municipality of Lochaber West.

Jean Provost, a biologist with the Quebec Ministry of Natural Resources and Wildlife, said the province could build trails through the refuge and could eventually provide canoe rentals and wildlife tours. He said the province wants to have the City of Gatineau as a partner in the project, but added the municipality won't have to spend money on the refuge.

"We want to inform Gatineau councillors that they have a treasury on their hands," Mr. Provost said. "A lot of Quebec municipalities would like to have this kind of property within their borders.

"We have been buying land in that area since 1978. It is a real plus for tourism because people can be in a natural environment 10 minutes from downtown Gatineau."

Mr. Provost said the province has asked the city to provide some land for the refuge, but the project won't cost the city anything unless it wants to help develop the refuge.

Gatineau Councillor Richard Cote, chairman of the city's budget committee, said he does not know whether the city will contribute to the wildlife refuge.

The province has spent $3.3 million to acquire the land, which is largely unsuitable for development, while Ducks Unlimited has spent about $1.5 million on dams to control water levels in the marshes. The ministry will ask private owners to sign agreements to respect wildlife, limit the use of ATVs, snowmobiles and motorboats and will restrict hunting to blinds in designated areas.

"During the spring when all the birds are nesting we could stop motorboats in certain areas and we could stop wood-cutting," Mr. Provost said. "Our game wardens will be able to intervene more easily in the refuge than on private lands. Now we have to sue people who cut wood in the area, so it is more complicated than if game wardens were to issue tickets. We will also hire auxiliary game wardens who will be able to arrest people and lay charges."

Naturalist Dan Brunton said the refuge is the largest wetland in the Ottawa Valley, one of the top birdwatching spots in the lower Ottawa Valley and a fish-breeding area.

"The site provides an important public service to us because it helps clean the water that we use and keeps the shore in good condition," Mr. Brunton said.

"If you were to take those marshes away, we would have to build massive retaining walls to keep the shore from washing away because the land is clay and subject to erosion.

"There are real economic and public heath advantages to us to maintain these wetlands. Every time we remove a chunk of protective river marshes, we degrade the quality of the way the river works."

Gatineau council is expected to discuss the proposed wildlife refuge in April.

© The Ottawa Citizen 2006
Lunkerlurker
Participant
Participant

Post by Lunkerlurker »

There is so much land that are (almost) innacescible that I don't think they should do that.

Stop land devellopers yes, :D , fishermen and hunters that are already regulated NO, NO, NO. :evil: :evil: :evil: (that's what Palpatine said before laugnching those dark force rays out of his hands)

This biologist need to ask more questions about how the wildlife stock is fluctuating before going on whith this kind of proposal. We are in Canada not Iran.

LL
Carl
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Carl »

I'm going to be one of the few that votes yes :wink:

If you read the article it doesn't say that boaters / fishermen will never be allowed in, it states that there will be season restrictions.

I fully support such decisions. These wetlands and flats are prime spawning beds for all kinds of fish species and wildlife.

We are lucky to have such a wide variety of migratory birds that nest in those areas and are often disturbed by boaters and anglers.

The removal of boat traffic would ensure that incedental bass catches or as often reported bass bed ripping will not occur! This can only ensure a future sustainable fisheries.

I also hunt these areas and a managed blind system would be great. Far too often there are hunters that are in way to close range for my liking. I have stopped duck hunting on the river for those reasons. A managed set of blinds could increase tourism in the area. There could be a management of # of birds / species taken in a given day, year to assist biologists in understanding our migratory birds a little better.

There is no reason why any fisherman, hunter would not encourage such approach to a management system.

Carl