Custom Spinnerbait?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
jbarker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Custom Spinnerbait?

Post by jbarker »

What would be a reasonabl price for a custom built Titanium spinnerbat? The one I am getting is a 1 ounce double colorado and will be somewhere around 15 bucks. Is that a reasonable price or am I getting ripped?
Lunkerlurker
Participant
Participant

Post by Lunkerlurker »

Tell us more about this spinnerbait. What are the options and what fish are you gonna use it for.

Here a few things to consider:

1 once spinnerbaits are not as common as 3/8 or 1/2 oz.

Quality sampo ball bearing swivel cost about 1.5$ to 2.5$ depending on size and setup.

The titanium wire is expensive + you need a snap to close the wire on the swivel.

Skirt material can be expensive ex: lumaflex.

A good paint job on the head take time because of multiple paint layers.

The blades usually are std except for some stuff like paint and gold/silver plating.

+ 3D eyes...

Then there is the workmanship...

LL
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

I think LL is right on the money.

Anyone can buy and build there own spinnnerbiats, heck even I can do it :wink:

Trust me when I say the parts make up the whole. It would be very easy to use cheap parts, but that's not to say yours is made of cheap parts, it is just as easy to make them using the best parts.

I make 3/8 ounce spinnerbiats and I do my best to buy the best parts that I can and my cost for 1 is around $4.00, depending on the customs guys, sometimes I get dinged and sometime I do not get dinged for customs taxes and that does add to the costs.

If you catch a fish of a life time on it then isn't it worth every penny?
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

Riverratlures.com
These guys make the best Muskie spinnerbaits I've seen yet .Tie jobs are tight and sealed they use true bucktails and they use powder coat paint which doesn't come off.
And I have caught at least 2 major bass and even large pics on them while high speed trolling for Muskie

And you can customize them yourself
all for approx $20 and they last for years
jbarker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jbarker »

Not sure about the parts he uses but I know he does good work. No special eyes and I am not sure what bearings he uses. His standard 3/8 titanium spinnerbaits are 10 bucks and a 4-blade is 13 so I figured extra lead and bigger blades around 15. I will be using it for Pike and bass.
Lunkerlurker
Participant
Participant

Post by Lunkerlurker »

Bass and pike Hey... :lol:

A few more things to consider.

The titanium wire as been known to break in the R-bend. Personnally I used titanium and it happened. :shock:

I would not use them in a tournament situation because it's rarely the dinks that break your spinnerbait... :evil:

One more thing about titanium is the vibration factor that is increased, at leat what you feel trough your rod. This is subject to a lots of debates and I wont go there unless somebody wants my uoinnion on this. :)

If the guy knows his stuff he will tune and balance the spinnerbait for the speed and depht that you intend to use it (deep slow roll of ledgebuster type?) That's the critical part as far as fishability. The quality part is about durability...

I've built mine since 1995. I'm still experimenting as far as desing is concerned but I have a few faithfull desings that I use 95% of the time given the specifics of the season, water clarity and the weather.

Hope that's help

LL
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

You get what you pay for in these cases and you are paying for someones time and knowhow - example, the parts for a riverrat lure are probably around $8, but they take a while to make and that is someone trying to make a living. If you want custom/hand made lures, expect to pay a bit more.
jbarker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jbarker »

It helps alot. I will be using this spinnerbaitIn fairly shallow water within 2 feet of surface. My main concern was how pike bend regular arms on spinnerbaits. I figured with titanium I coud get a couple trips out or 1 spinnerbait.
Lunkerlurker
Participant
Participant

Post by Lunkerlurker »

1 oz is a pretty big spinnerbait for 2 ft of water. Personnaly I'd go as heavy as 1/2 oz top my choice would be 3/8 oz for that depht range.

Ususally with colorado blade you don't retreive very fast. Beleive me with that size you'll catch plenty of bass and pikes.

LL
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

My last post said I make 3/8 ounce spinnerbaits but I am brain dead, I haven''t made 3/8 ounce in years, I make 1/2 ounce.

Now the batch I got last year were a great proce for an already painted head but I found out very quickly that you do get what you pay for. A 3 pound bass was bendiing them so I went back to where they are stronger and a bit more pricey but they'll stand up to the toothy critters.

You are not going to know what you've got until you try it, same thing if you were buying it at a store.
grumpy7790
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Strike King Magnum King JR.

Post by grumpy7790 »

JB,
Strike King Magnum King JR's are the bomb for Pike and Big Bass.

They are hard to find and maybe even discontinued?

They are 1.25 OZ and have No. 7 blades.

When you find they will run around $10 each.

G
jbarker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jbarker »

This is a 1 ounce spinnerbait ( same one I ordered but standard wire) beside a 3/8 ounce red eye. Not much difference in size. I like having the heavy head so I can work the bait a little faster. Those big colorado's provide alot of lift. Plus I can cast a mile with them. I usually don't catch many big fish (10+) on them but I do raise alot of them and catch them pitching suckers or flukes. Great search baits. But them 5 pounders do quite abit of damage. Thx for everyones input.

Grumpy that is the spinnerbait I used last year. I still have it an will use it this year but it is beat up pretty bad.
grumpy7790
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Japan Baits

Post by grumpy7790 »

JB,
Japan has some pretty cool looking large SB's out. There not cheap but you obviously know that good baits cost some $$$.

Take a Look.

OSP Typhoon $20

Evergreen SR $12.50

MegaBass V3's $12.50