Lake Madawaska

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Lunkerlurker
Participant
Participant

Lake Madawaska

Post by Lunkerlurker »

I was looking at the maps project and that lake sure look interresting.

Does anyone has actually fished it recently?

If so is there a good population of largemouth ?

Is it better than missisipi lake?

Thanks

LL
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

Never fished it but I've heard it's way better smallie action than largies. Hopefully someone who fishes it regularly can shed some light for ya.

bucket
MuskieStalker1
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

The Mad

Post by MuskieStalker1 »

I live on lake Madawaska , we do have a few nice bucketmouth,but for the most part the smallies rule the lake. Feel free to pm me for any other
questions you might have and i will help you out
Tight Lines
Kert Lavigne
UGLYSTICK9
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by UGLYSTICK9 »

I am on this lake every Sunday summer and fall. Never caught Largemouth saw a nice three pounder go at my line once though. Smallmouth are very easy to catch along the shorline. I usually catch alot of smallmouth and walleye while I'm there and pike and muskie slip in to the program every once in a while.

If you're goin for decent sized smallies I would reccomend this lake but I talk to a lot of the people that go to this lake alot and say they have caught 1 maybe 2 Largemouth while going to this lake.

Uglystick9
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

There are definitely LM in Madawaska. In fact my ultimate fav LM spot is not far from the Claybanks launch site. They can be hard to find as they seem to be concentrated into very small areas, there one day, somewhere else the next...meaning it can take a bit of searching but once you find a spot hang on, it'll be fast and furious. Evenings are deadly - the daytime bite can be pretty slow.

Most of the LM "spots" I've found there aren't spots so much as "pockets" - very small areas. Work them quickly and keep moving until you find a sweet spot.

I have very little experience with Mississippi so I can't compare them fairly...but the occassional Musky follow or strike is an added and exciting side bonus to fishing the Mad that you won't find on the Miss. Plus it's not nearly as busy or developed, and anyone there is probably fishing walleyes or Musky so you're likely to have more solitude.
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.