Rust????

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
jbarker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Rust????

Post by jbarker »

Is there anything you guys use to remove rust from hooks? I was going through my old box and found about a dozen Owner wide gap hooks. They are rusted too bad and could still be used if not fishing in atournament but I would still like to get the rust off. WhenI was buying cheap hooks I just threw them out but at a buck a piece I would like to salvage them?
fishmaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fishmaster »

What I do in that case is use a good sharpening stone to get all the rust off and to make sure the point is sharp. Then I wipe them down with worm oil or mineral oil to prevent them from rusting again. A few years back I bought these Elimanator corrosion resistant sticks and put them in all my boxes and they worked great. I haven't been able to find them anymore so I just buy the spray and coat the old ones I still have. This seems to work also.
Mikey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mikey »

Put a small bag of rice in with your hooks fellas...no more rust :wink: :wink:
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

Mikey wrote:Put a small bag of rice in with your hooks fellas...no more rust :wink: :wink:
Mikey

Please do explain.

I am very anal aboaut taking my lures at the end of the day and drying them out but every once in a while something gets missed and I have a rusty hook so I am very eager to hear you thoughts on rice.
bottom feeder
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bottom feeder »

I use the silica paks in my boxes and it works too
Norm
Dartee
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dartee »

Mr.J. wrote:
Mikey wrote:Put a small bag of rice in with your hooks fellas...no more rust :wink: :wink:
Mikey

Please do explain.

I am very anal aboaut taking my lures at the end of the day and drying them out but every once in a while something gets missed and I have a rusty hook so I am very eager to hear you thoughts on rice.
Its like putting rice in the salt shaker. The rice will absorb moisture.
Use a mesh bag with small holes (smaller then the rice of course :shock: )
Fisheye
Participant
Participant

RUST?

Post by Fisheye »

JBarker and guys! Check this out. Go to, type in, VCI Pro Chips on Google.Don't use .com! This product is called The Inhibitor.I just got some. Very inexpensive. Don't know if they work yet though! Hope this helps! Paul.
fishmaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fishmaster »

JBarker and guys! Check this out. Go to, type in, VCI Pro Chips on Google.Don't use .com! This product is called The Inhibitor.I just got some. Very inexpensive. Don't know if they work yet though! Hope this helps! Paul.
Thats what I was talking about in my post, sorry I got the name wrong, and yes they work excellent :wink: Hey Fisheye, where did you get them from, my local shop had them for 2 years and then he couldn't find a suppier for them anymore.
Fisheye
Participant
Participant

Post by Fisheye »

fishmaster, I'm not sure if I should post this! I don't want to get slammed.
I got then from (The Next Bite.com) website where Pete Maina is from! If I shouldn't post it They can delete it and them PM me! Sorry if I offended anyone! Paul. Just want to help!
jbarker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jbarker »

thx for the replies guys. I tried filing off the rust but it seemed too deep and some of the hooks would break under pressure so I ended up throwing them out. My new hook box is too small for sillica packs or rust strips but I might try throwing a few rice in it. Thx again guys.