Tragedy on the BoQ

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
duber
Participant
Participant

Tragedy on the BoQ

Post by duber »

We have lost another sportsman to what we love to do.I was fishing in the same spot were this happened.One of the reasons we fish in this spot is it is the "safest" ice on the bay.There was 14 inches of ice.Just goes to show you that you are never really "safe" on the ice.I don't have a floater suit or ice picks, yet never thought I needed them because I don't venture out on thin ice.Both will be my next purchases.

My condolances to James family.

Here is the article in the Belleville Intelligencer.
Ice fisherman found off shore of Big Island

By Bruce Bell
Local News - Tuesday, February 28, 2006 @ 10:00

BIG ISLAND Police here have recovered the body of an avid Picton outdoorsman, who is believed to have drowned while ice fishing on the weekend.

Ontario Provincial Police divers pulled the body of 40-year-old James Minaker from two metres of water off the north shore of Big Island Monday morning.

OPP were called by family members at 11 p.m. Saturday after Minaker failed to return from a day of ice fishing. After receiving the call, an OPP officer discovered Minaker’s vehicle at Robinson’s Cove on North Shore Road just before midnight.

Members of the OPP Emergency Response Team (ERT) and 424 Search and Rescue Squadron from 8 Wing Trenton responded to the scene and, after finding no trace of the man, the OPP’s own search and rescue helicopter was summoned early Sunday morning.

The search and rescue helicopter spent two hours in darkness Sunday morning, hovering over the ice in an effort to locate the man while occasionally landing to interview fishermen in nearby huts. Meanwhile, members of the ERT also battled darkness and blowing snow while searching the surrounding land including a nearby marsh and point.

“It was less than ideal conditions almost a blizzard out on the ice,” said OPP Const. Sean Guscott. “We completed a search of the entire area including both on shore and on the ice and after some of his gear was discovered Sunday, the (OPP) Underwater Search and Recovery Unit, out of Gravenhurst, was called in.”

A minnow bucket was spotted near a pressure crack approximately 100 metres from shore and upon investigation, another pail bearing the victim’s name and fishing gear was discovered below the surface of the ice.

Although divers arrived on scene late Sunday, it was determined conditions were unsafe due to poor visibility and blowing snow and the dive was postponed until Monday morning.

As a dozen family members and friends kept vigil along the shore, an OPP diver entered the water just after 9:30 a.m. and discovered Minaker’s body a few minutes later.

Described as a non-swimmer by family members, Frank Minaker said his brother was both an avid fisherman and hunter. He was employed at Midtown Meats in Wellington and lived in Picton with his wife Shirley.
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

:( There's been all too many tragedies on the ice this season.
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

Very sad, indeed!!

many prayers for his family!!!

Be safe , don't go alone , buddy up!!
bottom feeder
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bottom feeder »

That is another tragic loss.
Sad to see this every winter.
Norm
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

This really is sad indeed. The second this weekend to die in roughly 6 feet of water.

The lad who died on Cranberry apparently was also in approx. that depth. Just goes to show folks, the depth doesn't have to be real deep. :(

I'm guilty as the next guy of not wearing mine but, survival suits and picks should your first priority heading out....
dana
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Sad

Post by dana »

God Bless and comfort the James family

dana
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

I hate hearing about these tragedies. I also would have thought being that shallow was safe...

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
ratsotail
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ratsotail »

Boy I hate to see these kind of articles, but it's a good reality check for me. When I ice fish I usually go out there with supreme confidence that the ice is as safe as walking on a slippery sidewalk...except for early and late season where I'm drilling test holes all the time as I venture out.

What a gruesome task for the divers...just thinking of it makes me think a bit about my passion for icefishing. I wonder what actually caused the break through... a weak spot at a stress crack, current, maybe a snowstorm that disoriented him, or just incredibly bad luck. I'd really like to know the facts in the accident for future reference. I can't bare to think of the loss the family is experiencing...

ratsotail
Rescue78
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rescue78 »

Wall-I-Guy wrote: The lad who died on Cranberry apparently was also in approx. that depth. Just goes to show folks, the depth doesn't have to be real deep. :(
Cranberry :shock: :shock: I've been fishing next door on Dog a few times this week and I did not even know. Could you send me details you might have WIG?

By the way, my condolances to both famillies.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Rescue78 wrote:
Wall-I-Guy wrote: The lad who died on Cranberry apparently was also in approx. that depth. Just goes to show folks, the depth doesn't have to be real deep. :(
Cranberry :shock: :shock: I've been fishing next door on Dog a few times this week and I did not even know. Could you send me details you might have WIG?

By the way, my condolances to both famillies.
Hey Rescue78,

Can't remember but I think it was on the radio that I heard it. And I heard it more than once. I'll see if I can dig something up off the net..

How's the Splake bite been?
Rescue78
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rescue78 »

WIG

I haven't fished for splake but I talked to a couple guys that said they did alright.
Mikey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mikey »

Rescue78 wrote:WIG

I haven't fished for splake but I talked to a couple guys that said they did alright.

HE'S ALIVE!!!! RESUE 78 IS ALIVE!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: