Looking for Information:Morning Mist Resort in Stonecliffe

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
stephenP
Participant
Participant

Looking for Information:Morning Mist Resort in Stonecliffe

Post by stephenP »

A few buddies and I are thinking about a 5 day fishing trip the second half of June to the Morning Mist resort, in Stonecliffe (about 20 miles or so past Deep River on the Ottawa River). I was wondering if anyone had any experience on that part of the Ottawa, or with the lodge in question. Any pointers on early season bass, or the June walleye and pike fishing would also be appreciated. Also, if anyone knows of an online resource for hydrographic charts of the Ottawa River in that area, I'd appreciate the tip. It helps the winter go faster when the planning starts for the annual boys fishing weekend. Thanks.
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jigs »

Hi Steve;

Have fished the Ottawa farther up near Deux Rivieres in August. It was hot as the hubs and the fishing was not good.

We were told that "early" in the season, walleye and pike fishing is good, so maybe June would be the time.

Have caught some bass in the area, but very little help near Stonecliffe, sorry.

The beer was really cold though, so we managed to tough it out.

Regards: Jigs :D

PS: Regardless of the fishing the river and the scenery is great, people very friendly, and we had a good time. Planning a return sometime earlier in the season.

J
Rob
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rob »

Dave and his brother run and own Morning Mist Resort , and are great guys that would not have a problem at putting you on some fish, I'm sure the Saskie's will add to this. I was there for a week, 2 summers ago and we were treated like kings. Good spots for bass would be as you are heading down river on the Ontario side, there are alot of tiny islands and inlets that hold some decent bass and pike. If your looking for a little walleye action, head up river to where it narrows and drift the points and drop offs. Also the tribs comming from the "Dark side" can be very productive :wink: , check with Dave on this and he will tell you how far you can go in before needing a Que. licsense. Be warned though, this section of the Ottawa R. is used as a reservoir and water levels can drop as much as 3' over night, just don't beach your boat, tie to there dock and make sure that you are the furthest out :wink: .

Tell dave I said hi... Rob
barblessbob
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by barblessbob »

hello steph
i haven"t been on that part of the O yet but have been above it too many times to count

your also in sturgeon and ling territoy if season permits
i will be fishing Deux riveier in may so i can give you a haeds up
on how that went when i get back.
also fishing mattawa in early june
you can get hydrogra maps from the map store in ottawa www site ????
also try TRAX maps out in quebec have decent laminated maps for a fraction of the cost but not as detailed

give a day and i'll get more info to you
i too am planing now for spring,
nofish
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

Morning Mist is a first class outfit. Excellent facilities and extremely friendly and helpful staff. If you're a bait fisherman I wasn't a fan of their minnows and next time would bring my own.

(I'm picky about my minnows)

We went there twice, once in spring (early June) and again in fall (mid Oct). Both times we were looking for pike. The pike fishing was terrible - we never even caught a snot rocket on either trip. The walleye fishing both times was good. The most reliable spot for us was directly across from the lodge at the mouth of the Dumoine R. In fall we also got into some good numbers of average sized smallies while walleye fishing. For walleyes we mostly trolled minnow harnesses through 12-24'. The right hand side (closest to Deep River) of the mouth proved the "spot within the spot". We'd troll from the PQ sign along the shore and just around the first corner where the Bay opened into the main channel. Just about every little bump and hump had a fish hanging off it - sometimes we hooked them, sometimes we didn't.

Good luck
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.