Could anyobdy recomend me a medium-heavy baitcasting combo?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
sevendustfan#1
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Could anyobdy recomend me a medium-heavy baitcasting combo?

Post by sevendustfan#1 »

I am looking for one for this upcoming bass season
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

i own a 7' Medium Heavy Shimano Compre Baitcasting Rod and absolutely love it.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Sevendustfan: There are lots of combos out there. To respond we need to know what you are throwing with the rod (I ask people that come into the store what they visualize on the end of the line when they pick up the rod) and what kind of price range you are hoping to be in.

Ed
sevendustfan#1
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by sevendustfan#1 »

ideally weedless frogs, flipping jigs and am willing to spend around $250
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

Hey there,
I would definetely take a look at the Compre rods from Shimano. I have a few now and love them to death. For frogs I personally like heavy action with a fast tip. And I love the Accurist from Quantum, as well as the Cardif from Shimano, both have treated me well. With those combinations it should work out to be in your price range.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

A 7'0"H compre matched up with one of the new Citicas, both from Shimano would be a great combo for what you are looking for.

Ed
Blaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Combo

Post by Blaker »

Have to agree with toobinator on this one. I have the 7ft H fast action teamed up with a chronarch and that combo has made some great cash in the tourneys. The new Compre's do not have this action so keep your eye out for a 2005 model and snap it up. I only know of one 6ft 10 inch heavy fast action available down hear and its there last one at the store. make a few phone calls or come to the shows in TO and get one before they are gone.
sevendustfan#1
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by sevendustfan#1 »

for the compre would anybody recomend the 2006 model or 2005 model
Blaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Model

Post by Blaker »

The new 2006 models are awesome. The have been totally redone and will be a huge seller this year. They are lighter, improved actions, guides, handles etc. For the Frog rod they do have a 7 ft mh. The new rods will definately be a great choice., but the old 2005 7 H or 610 H actions are great frog rods. If you are looking for a rod that is a litlle more multipurpose go with the new 2006 models.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

No need to go to Toronto. They are available in this area. I know I have them in stock.

Ed
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

i'd like to suggest, as i saw your price level, the shimano crucial.

i own it as well (only own two baitcasters), and it really is worth the xtra 100 dollars.

i'd suggest buying a medium heavy crucial if your willing to spend 250.

The crucial really is more sensitive than the compre....but if your only throwing frogs....maybe the compre would still be better.
HogHunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HogHunter »

I own both a high-end combo (7' crucial-medium heavy with a Quantum Energy E800PT- or something like that) and a lower-end combo (Shimano Convergance again, medium heavy 7'with a relatively cheap Bass pro shops baitcaster reel-cant remeber the model). I love both combos and honestly the difference between the two I find is not much. If anything the difference is in the reel. Although the crucial is an amazing series, I would put a little extra $ towards your reel and maybe go with a lower end rod such as the convergance (lower end but still has a lifetime warranty). Alot of choice out there, good luck.
sevendustfan#1
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by sevendustfan#1 »

i'll wait and see if my interest rekindles for this years upcoming fishing season, if it does i will 90% think about buying one next year for possible tournament fishing
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Hi. I'm watching this thread, as some of you know I'm still sitting on the fence re: baitcaster vs. spinning gear decision for my next purchase. (Sshhh, don't tell RJ I'm still considering a baitcaster! He'll get all puffed up. :lol: )

Here's my add'l. question: is there a baitcasting combo that you guys feel would cover both bass AND musky fishing?? I certainly cannot afford TWO combos.

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

the problem with that is, your going to want a reel that will allow you toss lighter baits (worms, rubber, smaller cranks) for bass, and with a bigger reel (that'll allow you to throw for muskie), you'll be looking at backlash city.

I use an abu 6500 c3 for muskie, with 80lbs PP on it, and i can't even throw light stick baits (bomber long A's, rapala husky jerks) with it, as i'm just a beginner (two years with a baitcaster).

A shimano curado or similar is perfect for throwing these lighter baits, but you'll probably burn it out running heavy muskie baits, not to mention if your run a line like 65 PP, it has a 16 lbs diameter, which wont allow you to get very much line on it...

Even in a spinning reel, its tough to find one that'll do what you want. I use a shimano spirex 4000 for muskie fishing, with 65lbs PP, and it certainly would work nicely for bass fishing, but, its pretty heavy. Using it all day for casting bass baits wouldn't be the best move, but it works a lot better than finding a baitcaster that'll hold enough line to throw muskie baits, and still be able to toss ligher bass tackle...

I'm sure after we become seasoned baitcasters, we'll be able to use heavier reels (abu 6500) and throw lighter tackle for bass....but for now, when i do that, all i get is backlash after backlash... :D