Tow vehicle - Opinions?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
tinbanger
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Tow vehicle - Opinions?

Post by tinbanger »

Looking at upgrading the family ride / tow vehicle.
Either Toyota Sienna or Honda Odyssey.

Will be pulling 17' boat , total weight ( boat,motor ,trailer , fuel , gear , people) will not exceed 3200 lb ( usually less)

Both vehicles claim 3500 lb cap ( Toyota equipped with Tranny cooler , Honda would be aftermarket)

Anyone out there had any expeiences with this type of set up ?
grumpy7790
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Tow

Post by grumpy7790 »

TB, are any of these vehicles AWD? That would sure help. If its flat where your at then you probably get by with these tow vehicles. What about the smaller sports utes? The Trailblazer is good for 5500lbs and has a 291hp straight 6.

G
Last edited by grumpy7790 on Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peppino
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peppino »

Both excellent vehicles! Engine torque would be the determining factor for me.

My 2 cents!
Peppino
Only real men snore!
Dartee
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dartee »

I will probably be doing the same thing this year $$$$$permitting.

Trading in the Windstar.
I'm leaning towards the Sienna with AWD (2003-2004 used).
Shad
Participant
Participant

Post by Shad »

Just don't buy a domestic (Sorry Grumpy with the trailblazer)!

Minivans are nice but you should also consider a Nissan Pathfinder, big for the family and have 5000lb+ towing capacity!
Mike the 'Tender
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mike the 'Tender »

My parents use a '01 Olds Silhouette and a '03 Toyota 4Runner for pulling a 16' Sea Doo Speedster. Unless there's a large incline, the Olds gets the job done no problem. It has a 180 hp side mounted V6 with an aftermarker tranny cooler.
mdej
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Honda All the Way

Post by mdej »

The Oddy is an amazing Van. Every review, every year it gets amazing reviews and best buy ratings. However neither van is cheap.

IMO - As I heard someone on a Honda board put it "The Oddy is an Indy Car in a Mini-Van body". That VAN and TONNES of power and is HUGE inside. (I had an 05 as a loaner while waiting for my Pilot, I kind of miss the Oddy sometimes)

I just got an 06 Pilot to pull whatever boat I buy in the spring. Honda has an update to a towing package, the towing package is like 1200$ but they will sell it to you for 1000$. It includes power steering and tranny coolers. The hitch itself is nice, however its only a 4 pin wire harness, so if your trailer needs a 7 pin its not any option for you.
DaveH
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DaveH »

Well I can't tell ya about pulling a boat, but I have an 05 Odyssey, and I can't say enough about how great it is! 255hp, and drives like a 6-cylinder Accord (which I had before)

It doesn't have AWD, but I have noticed that the Traction Control System works very well, and I suspect that it would be quite good in odd towing situations.
Paul Shibata
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Paul Shibata »

This question, a good one, often gets similar responses from what I have seen in the past. Invariably the replies often cite horsepower, torque and even final drive ratios, all of which are critical. However and with no disrespect to my fellow FH frat brothers and sisters, my experience has identified that generally most of the appropriate vehicles are more than powerful enough for the towing component. What must not be overlooked is the stopping component of the equation and equally the mass of the vehicle, both of which are integral regarding safety. Remembering our high school physics, it takes mass to both move mass and stop mass. As such in an overabundance of caution you may want to investigate the braking and the weight of the vehicles before you purchase. For smaller boats mini vans are often quite adequate and the full glass enclosure at the rear of the vehicle generally provides sufficient mass to anchor the articulation of the hitch and yield the sway stability required.

Fortunately in North America, the tow ratings take into consideration both the power and braking neccessary to safely tow.

I certainly recommend the option of surge brakes for the trailer if it is available for the aformentioned reasons, even on smaller boats. The upcharge not only adds security but positively saves your vehicles' brakes from premature wear.

Lastly, AWD or 4WD may be welcomed at the launch ramp. Front wheel drive vehicles (most mini-vans) lose traction when inclined by virtue of the weight transfer to the rear of the vehicle. Depending upon your situation, specifically the type of boat and more importantly the boat ramps that you will likely frequent will determine if this is necessary or overkill. AWD burns more gas and is quite costly if repairs are necessary. Though nice, we often opt for features or gadgets that get used rarely..... Believe it or not even us anglers could be tempted to purchase something on the off chance that we may need it!!!!

Good Luck,

Paul Shibata
fisher
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fisher »

If you must have a mini van because of the passenger capacity then you have already narrowed it down to the 2 of the best out there considering reliability and resale value. pick the one with the highest ground clearence and torque, they are both winners but the oddy is a better option IMO because it cuts 3 cylinders down on cruising speeds if you not hauling heavy loads.a good feature with the rising gas prices :roll:
On the other hand if you can manage with a 5 seater then look at the new Honda Ridgeline truck, 5000 lbs towing capacity, comes equiped with tranny, power steering coolers,heavy duty cooling fan and large disk brakes for stoping under load. it rides like a luxury SUV. has a 5 star safety rating all around, curtain air bags and automatic 4WD.utility of a truck but luxury and safety of high end sedan or SUV(good to have with the family). It just won the MT 2006 truck of the year and North American 2006 truck of the year awards.just a suggestion.
Test drive all vehicles you are considering and buy the one fits your needs. do a google search and check Consumer Reports and reviews for compareable vehicles.
lots of folks buy huge gas guzlers with v8 and 4x4 but never leave the pavement because that is what they WANT but don't realy need. BUT at the same time 4WD option is a blessing on tricky gravel or loon poop bottom ramps. :D
last spring at Westmeath lots of folks (including myself) would have been in trouble if Big'O' didn't pull our rigs out with his 4x4 truck. :D
I was told that as a general rule of thumb for safe towing, one shouldn't exceed 80 % of the towing vehicle's capacity. pulling a load is one thing but safely stoping in an emergency with the trailer behind you is critical.
good luck.
Mikey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mikey »

Paul Shibata wrote:This question, a good one, often gets similar responses from what I have seen in the past. Invariably the replies often cite horsepower, torque and even final drive ratios, all of which are critical. However and with no disrespect to my fellow FH frat brothers and sisters, my experience has identified that generally most of the appropriate vehicles are more than powerful enough for the towing component. What must not be overlooked is the stopping component of the equation and equally the mass of the vehicle, both of which are integral regarding safety.

Excellent point Phil. Most people give ample (or all) consideration to the towing capacity(capability), and none or very little to the braking issues when towing a significant load. Personally, if it's over 1000 to 1500 pounds....I'm looking for a trailer with brakes.

Remembering our high school physics, it takes mass to both move mass and stop mass. As such in an overabundance of caution you may want to investigate the braking and the weight of the vehicles before you purchase. For smaller boats mini vans are often quite adequate and the full glass enclosure at the rear of the vehicle generally provides sufficient mass to anchor the articulation of the hitch and yield the sway stability required.

Having towed with a Minivan, I can tell you the Minivan as we know it, is not the greatest of tow vehicles. Simply because it's design is focused on people transportation, families. Yes, it will pull a load, but it's main function is to move families all over the planet, from baseball diamonds to hockey rinks. Versus a Ford Explorer, which may carry less people, but has other design features geared( excuse the pun) towards towing. Not to say that you couldn't tow around the tinny 10 times a year. And frankly speaking, if that's your intentions....you don't need an F-250 to do that. The Minivan will accomplish the task.

Fortunately in North America, the tow ratings take into consideration both the power and braking neccessary to safely tow.

All the data is readily available....just read it....

Lastly, AWD or 4WD may be welcomed at the launch ramp. Front wheel drive vehicles (most mini-vans) lose traction when inclined by virtue of the weight transfer to the rear of the vehicle. Depending upon your situation, specifically the type of boat and more importantly the boat ramps that you will likely frequent will determine if this is necessary or overkill. AWD burns more gas and is quite costly if repairs are necessary. Though nice, we often opt for features or gadgets that get used rarely..... Believe it or not even us anglers could be tempted to purchase something on the off chance that we may need it!!!!

True, the front wheel drive on a steep ramp doesn't have the traction of a rear wheel drive under the same loading. But contrary to belief, all things being equal (gear ratio etc..) the 4 wheel drive vehicle is characteristically inferior to it's rear wheel, 2 wheel drive brother. All great points Phil.

Good Luck,

Paul Shibata
:wink:

Mikey :wink:
Last edited by Mikey on Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi tinbanger,,,

like other said ,,,,go for the tork,ground clearance,,,,inportante in some sandy place you could go to put your boat in/out.....

i got a XTTERA NISSAN,,,,2003 autom....4/4,,,,,,towing capitcity,,5500pound,,,,,

great vehicule,,,,,very reliable,,,more space inside ,,,i got a sled wit ice equipement in my truck and its 6 feet long,,and still gote 6 inch left inside,,,,,on the lenght way,,,.....

go for a reliable vehicule,,,,,,you just dont want to get stuck somwhere, :roll: :?

take care and great shoping bud.....
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi tinbanger

people tend to get somtime,,,a lot bigger then what they realy need,,,,

somtime people by a vehicule (huge trucks,,big motor)to tow somthing BIG,,like mabe 15 time in a year,,,,,,what about the 350 day left in a year stuck wit a gaz guzler,,,that drink like crazzy at the gas pump,,,and cust tons in insurance,,,and mantenance....

my 3 cents.. :roll:

joco
tinbanger
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tinbanger »

Brakeing under full load is something many people forget about . Often see someone tailgating on hwy 400 with a loaded vehicle and a trailer behind :shock:
Looks like the Old Venture will do the towing duties till at least the fall . Need some time to save those $$$ :D
billy1
Participant
Participant

Suburban

Post by billy1 »

Get a Suburban, one of the older models, a well maintained '88 Burb is about the best I've seen. It's simple and solid, and is easy to fix, ex. everything is in front and straightforward.

In the bush, if you're reliant on your vehicule, a burb or its brothers are ideal in my opinion. I have yet to hear an argument that relegates the older trucks from the newer.

Of course, if you're staying on the popular, "maintained" ramps, the topic is basically moot.