Picking up a new fishfinder...

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Picking up a new fishfinder...

Post by Markus »

Has anyone owned/tried the Hummingbird Matriix 27?

My local dealer has them in their Xmas flyer for $279. Is that a decent price?
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Not to sure about the Matrix Mark…But I’m sure the Smithsonian would be interested in your old one :wink: :wink:
jazman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by jazman »

come on phil, sell mark one of the 40 odd ones you snagged on ebay....
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Current local Price (Leba..n) 289.94
Simmer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Simmer »

... if you're still looking for alternatives, a good friend of mine who guides at kasba recommends the eagle fishmark 480 (not 320...extra pixels apparently make a huge difference) ... for about the same price .... asked santa for it :)
Ken & Joanne
Participant
Participant

Post by Ken & Joanne »

Hi Markus,

I have one on my new boat. I also had one on my Lund when I sold it. I liked it so much I bought the same one. Nice big screen, you can update the software, speed and temp. You can also add GPS with the optional antenna or hook up a hand held with the optional cord. I like the dual beam also to see if you have fish out to the side. Anyways, it suits my needs to a T and it's reasonably priced.

cheers
Ken
Jale
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jale »

Marcus, a couple of months ago I was looking for a new one as well. The matrix 27 was on my short list . I went with the eagle 480 in the end and don't regret it. I believe you already have a gps, so the ability to add it to the matrix doesn't really apply.

Eye tracker recommended the 480- and that was good enough for me. I have dealt with Eagle in the past with my former sonar and can't say enough about their customer service...here is the thread...

http://fish-hawk.net/hawktalk/viewtopic ... ht=service

keep us posted

Joe
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Dude??? :shock: You're ready to drop 300 bones on a new planer mast even though you already have one, yet you're only gonna spend $300 on a fish finder ... your eyes down below.

I would have thought if anyone would be spending a little extra for a color unit it would be you.

Nothing against the matrix27 or the eagle 480, but c'mon!

MT
Paya
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Paya »

Markus,

You have one on Amazon for 179.99
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 5?v=glance

hope this is the right one :))
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

M.T. Livewell wrote:Dude??? :shock: You're ready to drop 300 bones on a new planer mast even though you already have one, yet you're only gonna spend $300 on a fish finder ... your eyes down below.

I would have thought if anyone would be spending a little extra for a color unit it would be you.

Nothing against the matrix27 or the eagle 480, but c'mon!

MT
Bill, color units a sweet, but being pretty doesn't justify the extra cost to me.

Over the next couple months, I have a Sonar, Mast and a trolling motor to pay for. I'm just trying to spread my dollars out the best I can. :lol:
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Markus wrote:
Bill, color units a sweet, but being pretty doesn't justify the extra cost to me.

Over the next couple months, I have a Sonar, Mast and a trolling motor to pay for. I'm just trying to spread my dollars out the best I can. :lol:
Now that I understand. :(
:lol: :lol: :lol:

MT
bosc
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bosc »

Markus I bought the Eagle Fishmark 320 from Josh in the spring and really like it. Sweat deal too. Didn't see the extra need to pay extra for the 480, but...everyone their own.
Its shows all I need to know including thermocline.
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

bosc, i have the same unit.

if your fishing in water less than 30 feet, how do u get rid of the surface clutter that is pretty heavy in the top five feet, especially if you turn the sensitivity > 80% ?

or do u just leave it?

I know about the filter in the options, but i generally keep the filters off....should i turn the surface filter up?
bosc
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bosc »

Humm, good question Steve and I'll have to read the manual to answer that. There is a way to get rid of it but i just leave it. Only thing I play around with is the ping speed, sensitivity and the gray line.

Not the most fancy unit but it does the job.

xcal
Participant
Participant

Post by xcal »

Marcus:
For your info, there is an eagle 480 with speed and temp on sale for $209.00 US at www.franksgreatoutdoors.com. There is the exchange as well as shipping and duty, but the price is still pretty good. Just thought you may want know.
xcal