Tips ups- what kind and what kind of line do you use?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
dh99
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Tips ups- what kind and what kind of line do you use?

Post by dh99 »

Ice fishing season is coming and I am looking to get some new tip ups for pike and walleye. We are allowed five lines each here so I need some tip ups to go with my jigging aresenal. The tuff part is no live minnows but thats another story.

I have 1 windlass already, not used to using it but I am going to try it more often this year.

Polar tip ups are part of my fishing Xmas list. Anybody use these and have any advice on them. Are they effective.Never used them before and what what type of line would be best for them.

Now comes what kind of line to use. I hear people using dacron, because its low memory and easier on the hands to pull up. Others use heavy mono ranging form 20-60 lb test then use a light leader. Mono is good but there is a lot of memory. And others use braids like fireline and powerpro. don't think this is a good option. First cost is one thing and then there is the problem that it is so thin and you could cut your hands if a big Northern grabs it. :shock:

Any comments or opinions would be great. :lol:

Dh
jig head
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by jig head »

We use our home built tip-ups. I used 12 pound test last year and let me tell you I will be spooling up with at least 20lb on my tip ups this year. I got bit off 12 times in 4 hours by biggggggggg fish(pike). It was actually kind of embarasing when people started to look at me funny.
Northamfishing Tackle
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

I don't use tip ups. I set an ice rod in a wooden holder over the hole and when the tip starts bouncing, I have a fish on.

I know there are probably more advantages to tip ups, but I hate pulling fish up with a hand line.
bottom feeder
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bottom feeder »

I use 25 lb test since losing a big lad in baitshop bay.
will not freeze when it comes out
Norm
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Big Bass Rich wrote:I don't use tip ups. I set an ice rod in a wooden holder over the hole and when the tip starts bouncing, I have a fish on.
And if your not quick enough, your rod will be bouncing it's way down the hole :D I remember that happened to Nighttroller last year, luckily Probassing was able to ''catch'' the rod a few moments later.
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

Tip up, I actually have that covered after almost losing a couple of rods last year :lol:

I have a wooden bracket that goes across the hole with a PVC pipe as the holder. it ain't going anywhere. :lol:
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

:wink:
muskymuskymusky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by muskymuskymusky »

Big Bass Rich wrote:Tip up, I actually have that covered after almost losing a couple of rods last year :lol:

I have a wooden bracket that goes across the hole with a PVC pipe as the holder. it ain't going anywhere. :lol:
I would like to see a pic BBR. If you have one that is.

Thanks
MMM
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

Well the actual thing is at home so you'll have to wait for some action shots :wink: but I drew up a diagram. Excuse my lack of artistic talent.

See, basically the 2 pieces of wood sit over the hole so it can't go in. And I have the PVC mounted into the back of the frame on an angle so the rod tip is pointed at about a 45 degree angle.

When the tip starts bobbin' there's a fish on. :)
Big Bass 444
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Big Bass 444 »

No mather what kind line you will be using on your rods or tip up`s there is one thing you must do and that is to go easy.

How many times I saw anxious fisherman rushing the fish to the hole!!! Not a good thing....take your time and play the fish. This way you won't rip the hook off the fish's mouth ( wich is the main cause of loosing fish)
Make sure your hooks are sharp (I change mine every year) and use quality hooks only. When ice fishing most hooks will rust faster so change
them A.S.A.P.

For large pikes make sure you have enough line in your spool....they can
spool you off in no time!!!! Also make sure you have a clean spot just beside your fishing hole....this way your line will be free of all obstacles, ice or snow jams.

When fishing LMB I will use my jigging rod with fluorocarbon line only.

For pikes I use Powerpro braid.....Tip up Windlass are my favorites but I also have some Polar if the weather is to cold.

Yan
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Big Bass 444 wrote:For pikes I use Powerpro braid.....Tip up Windlass are my favorites but I also have some Polar if the weather is to cold.

Yan
I'm surprised a pro like yu would use braid. :?: That surprises me
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

I use braid Markus, but you never call me a pro :? :cry: :lol:

Water up here remains pretty dirty all year. After losing an unknown good fish last January with mono, the guy I was fishing with asked why I just don't suit up with braid. He said the fish can't see the line in the stained waters anyays. Turns out he was right on, cause not only do you have more confidence in your line, for walleye you or the tip up detect the bite even better. Alot of guys up here are using dacron and catching fish. Even when walleye fishing I use a 3" steel leader. Brookies are another story completely.

Playing around last year I made up these two different weapons. :lol: You'll love 'em trust me, but I got the patent so no duplicates puleeze. :roll:

This setup is pretty standard.

Note the bell attached to the old piece of Fenwick Rod with line guide. When the rod tip drops, the bell falls off the rod handle and rings. GENIUS. :roll: :idea: :idea: :idea: 50lb braid on there, with a foot long flouro leader for now.

Here's the best fish slaying googlie goop contraption of all though.

THE PIKE SLAYERINATOR :lol: :lol: :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :shock:

This gadget caught me my 40" pike last year, as well as a number of smaller pike, and, Brenda knocked off about 20 walleye in 3 hours with this thing. 50lb braid, door stopper springloaded, old piece of Frabill jiggin' rod, thick pipe cut to a jagged edge for easy sinking into the thickest of ice and super Southbend reel with tough drag sinched right down to keep them toothies from running too far. No ice fishing trip is complete without this :lol:
Big Bass 444
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Big Bass 444 »

Markus......

Since Power Pro is available to me and it works well....I use it!!!!.....

Now as an expert (not a pro.) :wink: understand that I could take a 20 pounds Northern with 6 pounds mono any day of the week....what really mathers
is the the fisherman pulling the fish out of the hole no mather what pound test or fishing line you are using.On the other hand when it comes to LMB under the ice, line choice mathers since the visibility factor plays a major role if you want to be successfull. In this case fluorocarbon is the best thing available to you.

Bottom line when it comes to pike fishing I would not worried to much about braid or Power Pro if I was you. More attention or worries should be put on skills (when comes the time to battle them), presentation, choice of Tip up's under certain weather condition and finding locations .
May I also had that most anglers don't know anything about the noise factor when pike fishing. I drill a hole every 30 mins at key point around my Tip up`s....the noise moves pikes around!!!!

If you worrie about braid.....this pike was pulled out of the hole using Power Pro.

iankrzyzanowski
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by iankrzyzanowski »

I just bought a tip up system from arctic warrior.... it incorporates using your rod as well, instead of those typical tip ups which just use the spool and your hand bombing it, so im interested in giving it a go next week :)
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I tried braid last year and after a few hours, the line had absorbed water and ended up frozen on the spool.

I stick to lines that don't absorb any water.