Markus's Year in Review

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Markus's Year in Review

Post by Markus »

2005 was another great year on the water. Unlike my multi species quest of 2004, this season my goal was to share as many days as possible with family and friends in search of bigger fish.

Salmon – I was looking for a 30 pounder. Personal best for the season was a 24lb Chinook on Lake Ontario. My ole buddy Mo did boat a 30lb in the Striper, so at least I got to see one! Salmon fishing was good to excellent this year. Friends like Skeiner and Hoover and all the help I receive from the SpoonPullers gang are a direct reflection of that. Spring, Summer and Fall all produced some spectacular numbers and quality fish, however, my search for a 30 pounder will continue in 2006.

Brown Trout – Brown Trout hold a special place in my heart. They are without a doubt, my favorite sport fish. Spring boat problems resulted in me missing the spring fishing on Erie/ON, but I did manage to boat a few on the Niagara River. My personal goal was a 15 pounder and I never found it. Though my brother Boomer did boat one of that quality during his visit from NS.

Rainbow Trout – Another sport fish I love. I’d like to tip my hat to the Americans across the pond for their stocking and conservation efforts on Erie. I believe their hard work is why we boated so many deep water bows this year. I was looking for a 15 pounder here too and once again feel short. 13.5lbs is the best I’ve mustered to date.

Bass – Although I’m not a bass fanatic, I do enjoy fishing these hard headed little fish. I had the privilege to fish smallmouth, largemouth and spotted bass in ON, NS, Alabama, Indiana, Texas, Florida and New York. A 6 pounder was desired, but only boated 5’s and ton of high 4’s.

Channel Cats- I wanted a 25 pound Cat this year and boy did I find them! My buddy Kimbo in Manitoba invited me out to Winnipeg where we fished the famous Red River and we landed several over 30lbs. After that…I just couldn’t get motivated to target them locally!

Gar – Muskiemagnet and RJ had the gar figured out in Ottawa and although we have a very healthy population here on Lake Erie, the fishing style is completely different on the Ottawa River and I wanted to experience that. I’m counting the days until we can do it again.

Walleye – I won’t be happy until I boat a 15 pounder. Erie’s walleye are on the skinnier side and although we boated tons of them all summer, I knew Quinte would be where it would happen. Lots of 10 pounders, but nothing close to 15. Ransome’s 12 pounder was the biggest my boat saw. On a side note, I am very please to see the number of young walleye in Lake Erie. Good sign of great things to come for us.

Pike – I generally enjoy a feed of spring Pike and I also enjoy a few local trips to catch a few, but this year I had no personal goal for Pike and in fact I only targeted them a few times. Very small numbers of Pike saw the Striper this year….too busy chasing spring salmon.

Carp – No real goal set here either. I had every intention of taking John up on a visit to the St Lawrence, but it never happened. I did boat lots locally in the ponds. My girls love fishing for them too and they are a great practice fish for teaching them rod control.

Lake Trout – Fished the Niagara in January and boated some beats, but my 2005 laker season really starts this Thursday (Dec 1st). I’ll be looking for a 20 pounder before the new year.

Perch – I mostly enjoy fishing perch through the ice, but occasionally through the season friends and family want to head out on the bay and enjoy a perch fish. I’m always looking for a 2 pounder, but 1.9 was the best I could do. Come on Ice!

Goals for 2006 are not changing. I fell short on the majority of my trophy goals for 2006, so I’m looking forward to trying for them again next season. As always, I’ll be looking for a few smiling faces to share the moment with when I do finally find the fish I’m looking for!

Thanks to all of you for helping enjoy another great season on the water! Hope to see you all out there in 2006.
g unis
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

markus

Post by g unis »

wheres the musky, marcus
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Unfortunately Gunis, it never happened. :cry: Spent a good evening on the Ottawa with Muskiemagnet and RJ, but could only find pike.

If there's one thing I really want to kick myself for is not taking advantage of St Clair. No excuses next year, I have to dedicate time there. :wink:
JimmyBuffett
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JimmyBuffett »

Congrats on many beauty fish boated :!: :)

Cheers,

Rich
g unis
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

markus

Post by g unis »

when the dam breaks on st clair they will come steady for sure. nice fish pics though. a very successfull year for sure
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

when the dam breaks on st clair they will come steady for sure.
Excuse my ignorance, but what are you referring to?
SCUBA_STEVE
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by SCUBA_STEVE »

wow markus looks like a helluva year!

if you get fish like that i'm coming down to visit ya lol!

zort
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Nice job bud. In 2006 one big fish I'd like to see you get is a brookie. Nipigon is calling. :wink: :D Put it on your to do list, cause the following year your best will be a sturgeon. :wink: :o :lol:

I know, I know. :oops:
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Moosebunk wrote:Nice job bud. In 2006 one big fish I'd like to see you get is a brookie. Nipigon is calling. :wink: :D Put it on your to do list, cause the following year your best will be a sturgeon. :wink: :o :lol:

I know, I know. :oops:
Bunk, I got lots of 10-12 inchers in NS this summer, but no decent brookies.

Nipigon is in the plans Bunk. My wife is spitting nails, but I have told her there will be no 2 weeks in NS this year. Instead, I'm devoting that time to a road trip that will include Lake of the Woods and Nipigon.
birdman
Participant
Participant

Post by birdman »

I'm humbled Marcus. That's quite an impressive season for sure. So what do you do in your spare time? :)
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

master photoshop, so he can make these threads.

(seriously Markus, you are quite the angler! I'm amazed at the dedication you put into fishing....your Pink Salmon trips are out of this world. Then the Cat trips out west....and the bass trips down south. Fug.)
Last edited by steve-hamilton on Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

birdman wrote:I'm humbled Marcus. That's quite an impressive season for sure. So what do you do in your spare time? :)
He Kills Mice.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Awesome Display Markus.....Can't wait for gar too!

RJ
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Now, what you need to do is specialize. Might I suggest bass.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well done bud. I hope to run up your chute on a few big water adventures next year. :shock: 8)

M.T. Livewell
Scum Frog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scum Frog »

Markus,

Very impressive!
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

birdman wrote: So what do you do in your spare time? :)
I hunt...heading out for some quackers right now. :P