Jig Head Rocks Rockland

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jig Head Rocks Rockland

Post by Fishhawk »

I met this kid (sorry Jig Head - everyone under 25 is a kid in my books :wink: ) called Jig Head at Petrie Island a couple of times over the winter while fishing Crappie Bay and I was struck by his enthusiasm for fishing everytime I met him. If you have been reading this Forum you will see that his enthusiasm comes out in his posts as he writes about his shore-fishing excursions around Petrie Island.

So we agreed to go bass fishing this morning. One of the last PM's he sent me went like this...
jig head wrote:P.S im not the best bass fisherman lol
And I wondered whether fishing the long tough grass at Rockland was going to be enjoyable for him or not. Tactical bass-fishing is not for everyone! So we started off drifting along a stretch of grass that Bobber and I had pulled 13 lbs for four bass in a tournament three years ago. In the pre-fish I had caught my only 6 pounder.

And jig head was off to the races in a flash - tossing a senko-type bait while I tossed a new tube with bleeding tentacles - next thing I hear "Got one" and I can tell by the bend in the baitcasting rod that I had better get the net. Phew - it's good to have the guest get a fish like that early - takes a lot of heat off.

So we carrry on for a few minutes and we're pretty excited because we just started and we already have a nice fish picture for the report tonite (this one). I think I caught a dinky bass and then Jig Head was into another bass requiring the net.

I'm beginning to think thinking that I am fishing with a Bobber clone but when I thought about it some more I realized that Jig Head didn't have a 4 pounder in the boat yet, so no - I wasn't fishing with a Bobber clone. I was also relieved to catch something worth a picture for the report. Phew - I get to be in the story - barely. :lol:

At this point we're really happy about how the morning is going. It isn't even 7:00 and we're still on our first drift along this field of grass when Jig Head hooks into this one.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Bobber clone!

It was four lbs on Jig Heads scale. A real brute.

:lol: :lol:

We fished the backside of my stretch of grass and didn't do well. Jig Head lost a Poppin Frog (I think that is what you called it) to a pike that startled us.

We did another drift along the better side of the grass field and didn't even get a bite. It was time to try something new. Lochaber Bay (spelling suspect) was a spot I had never bothered to try getting the boat into but I have heard some reports from Tournie Guys that there are some big bass to be caught in there. Time to explore with Tournament Frogs.

The grass where we fished was patchy with small mats all over the place - a few lilies spread out. It didn't look like the kind of spot I like for a Frog but that opinion changed in a hurry as I nailed this one...

Shortly after this fish I had another blow up on the Frog that was the biggest topwater blow-up I have ever seen. And much to my delite, the fish was instantly pulling th Frog away from me and my rod tip was being lowered by the pull of the bass. There was no question that the fish had the bait in his mouth. I ignored Jig Head's suggestion to count to seven before setting the hook (just kidding - referencing a post that Jig Head got a little roasting for last week) and pulled back as hard as I could - there was an instant of "GOT HIM" as I felt the fish's full weight and then my Frog came flying out of the water and over the top of my head.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Jig Head talked about it for the next hour.

Actually he roasted me about if for the next hour.

We made a few passes on new water without success and then re-tried the stretch where I had lost the big one. And I managed to get one more decent fish on the Frog.

Thanks very much for going fishing with me this morning Jig Head. That was a lot of fun and we'll have to do it again some time.
Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

Great report Mike and way to go on the Pigs JH. Keep this up and I will be giving you my entry fees every year :wink: :lol:
JP
Smile, It's a good day on the water!!
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

FH & jig head...

Those are some quality fish. Sounds like some good action and several picture-worthy fish for sure.

We ALL know that jig head can fish. He's just modest... :wink:

Nice day, guys! (Sorry you missed the big 'un on the frog, FH. :? I had a similar situation on topwater w/ a smallie last week. It was a beaut.)

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Muskiemagnet
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Muskiemagnet »

Great report Hawk...!!!! Way to go guys. Those are some sweet bass. Looks like a future Pro in the making there JigHead 8)

What was the hot bait...???
Mike Lennox
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike Lennox »

man those are some PIGS! Still gotta hit champlain with ya jighead.
Man i wish the slops at dows lake could be that productive :twisted:
yff
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

Great fish, way to go guys.
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

Nice fish guys looks like you had a great morning.
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Great fish guys..looks like you really enjoyed yourself..
Mike, the one you lost is that the one when you were talkin to me on the phone?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Snag
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Snag »

Awesome job guys!!!

Jig head, don't forget to bring your horseshoe when we head out on Saturday!
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Jighrad, I wish when I was your age I was a little more into fishing instead of recreational illegal and parent worrying stuff. I think you're gonna keep at it, and I think at the rate you're going you'll never outlive all the fishing memories you're going to create.

Hawk, I'll start pm'ing you now and tell you truthfully that I can't catch bass worth a crap either. Will you take me out??? :D

PS, I really am in need of a baitcaster lesson flippin' stuff and fishing senko's and slop.
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

Congrats boys, looks like you had a great time out. Way to go Jighead!! Some beauties there....and Hawk...don't feel bad man, we all have those days. :lol:

and to Bunk...man, that post took me back to my heathen days. Wish I'd spent more of it fishing myself.
Tony
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Tony »

Those are some monster bass!! I can't fish bass either... :D :D
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Great fish JigHead!

Oh and FH too... :wink:

RJ
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Looks like it was a "bucketmouth bonanza!" Good job lads!! :D :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Jig head that was real nice of you to let FH hold your fish for a photo.

It's nice to indulge your elders.

FH next time catch your own. Stop trying to horn in on the kid's success. :twisted: