Madawaska headpond July 2

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
slushpuppy
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Madawaska headpond July 2

Post by slushpuppy »

Thought we'd try out a new spot this weekend. We've never been to the Madawaska headpond before.

We headed out in pretty windy conditions in early afternoon. It was hard to stay off the rocks and stumps at the launch while Bowzog tried to start the outboard (first time out for the outboard since its tune-up).

Stayed out there till around 7pm. Not much to report as far as fish are concerned. Caught some small rockies, some small smallmouth, and Bowzog got the prize for the day, this 16" smallmouth.

HuskieMuskie
Participant
Participant

Re - Madawaska headpond July 2

Post by HuskieMuskie »

Sounds like you we out just after I left. Spent most of the morning chasing muskies. Boated a chunky 36 incher but as a bonus, in a period of about 20 minutes (around 10 AM) landed three smallies, largest about four pounds and the others about two each.

Either you were there too late in the day or you were using lures that were too small. All three hit muskie sized bucktails. Every year I get big smallies in the headpond some upwards of 5 to 6 pounds.

Better luck next time. They are there.

Bill
Bill Fuller
huskiemuskie.ca
fishmaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fishmaster »

I see you have a cottage on Round Lake :!: :!: . If it's smallies that you are after you would be hard pressed to beat that lake. Man there are some huge smallies in there :shock: Sorry to hear that the fish weren't co-operating for on the headpond.
Thanks to my great supporters Deep River Outfitters, Shimano Canada and Hunters Bay Marine.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Slushpuppy,

I'm glad to hear you guys actually found some time to get out and enjoy some fishing. That's a nice smallie, Bowzog.

Bowzog eluded to some engine trouble in an earlier post of mine; hope all turned out OK...

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

Nice to see you guys get out on a nice day.
See you soon.
JP
Smile, It's a good day on the water!!
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Fishhawk »

Slushie and Bowzog,

Glad to see you ahd a chance to get on the water. I think the Madawaska Head Pond is the kind of water that takes a bit of time to figure out. Years ago I used to spend a lot of time fishing in areas that LOOKED good but never produced great quantities of bass for me.

I think if you want the best fish, stay away from going too deep into those inlets that are cut out of the landscape. I think they make for a nice boat ride and that is about it. While there are tons of trees laying down into deep water, and lots of weed, I just don't get the feeling that the water circulates enough through them to make for great bass habitat.

I'd be interested to hear what others say about the Mad Head Pond and those inlets.
Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

Fishhawk wrote:I think if you want the best fish, stay away from going too deep into those inlets that are cut out of the landscape. I think they make for a nice boat ride and that is about it. While there are tons of trees laying down into deep water, and lots of weed, I just don't get the feeling that the water circulates enough through them to make for great bass habitat.

I'd be interested to hear what others say about the Mad Head Pond and those inlets.
We fished the Stewartville end of the Headpond religiously last year and I agree with Fishhawk. The best and most fish came from or near the main channel. We're looking forward to exploring the rest of the lak now that we have more horses
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I have never seen a fish in one of those inlets.....ever!.....I'd stear anyone away from there.....well except for maybe a few... :wink: :lol:

RJ
Muskiemagnet
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Muskiemagnet »

Fish the points of those inlets Lads. :shock: :wink:
Relic
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Relic »

There is definetly bass in those inlets. When I was younger and fished out of a small tin can those are the places I fished, lots of bass and a few walleyes. Water circulation is not the problem, water levels go up and down out there on a daily basis providing fresh water in the inlets.

MM however is right fish the points of the inlets.

The Mad is not really that hard of a place to find fish, good looking spot really is a good spot, it's just that the massive quantities of available forage (perch and shiners) make tricking the fish into eating anything but, can be difficult at times.
Kingmann
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Kingmann »

I agree with MM and Relic. The inlets absolutely hold some REALLY nice fish. From decent musky, smallies, walleye, ROCK BASS, mooneye and last year we caught a 15lbs catfish in one of the inlets.

Slushpuppy, don't forget to work the White lake bridge.

P.S. Nice tackle shop! I'll see you again Saturday!

JasonM