Fishing Mishaps

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Fishing Mishaps

Post by Wallyboss »

back when I was a teenager I used to bike to all my fishing spots. There's one spot that I use to go to it was really awkward to make a cast because of all the trees around, all of a sudden I see a big pike swimming in the shallows not too far away , i lean forward to get a cast in there but the 6" Rapala's hooks end up firmly planted in the middle of my back. Couldn't reach the friggin thing with my hands, so I cut off the line and tied it around my neck for the bike trip to the hospital. The 40 minutes ride back wasn't on a very clean trail so I could feel every bump because of that heavy Rapala bouncing up and down.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Doug wrote:Too many to mention, and I am not sure that the statute of limitations has run out on all of them.

I should add that the statute of limitations on the Truly Stupid Things You've Done Act, section 2, is forever..............

BTW did you know that if you hit the water buck naked at thirty miles an hour, you actually BOUNCE a couple times before you go under? So I hear..........

And you're ice fishing and decide to build a little bonfire to warm up. And if you throw your Coleman lantern fuel into a bonfire just as you are jumping over it, you can lose all of your facial hair. So I hear....

And if you do the Coleman fuel thing whist jumping over said bonfire buck naked, you can singe pretty much ALL of your body hair. So I hear....

And never get your dad to fillet the hook out of your arm, he cares too much about you and it will distress him. Find a stranger to do it instead. So I hear....

And if you are sitting in a puddle at the bait shop parking lot, don't stuff dew worms up your nose to get a reaction from passers-by........you might laugh and snort the dew worm into your sinus cavity, where it is highly uncomfortable. So I hear.....

Doug the burning of the facial hair was that before you took your profile picture? If so MNR probably had to call in the waterbombers to put it out!!!
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Here's one that comes to mind....and always puts a smile on my face. :lol:

RJ and I had decided to give the stripe bass a go on the east coast. I had gathered up some intell on a spot and we hatched our plan to time the in coming tide. We got there early and walked out to a grass peninsula that gave us some water depth advantage. We had to cross a deep ditch on the way out to it and quickly got a few rods out.

While we waited for a take on the set lines, RJ worked a swim bait and marveled at how fast the worlds highest tides in the Bay of Fundy quickly role in.

I was resetting a like when i had a solid take while it was in my hands and we landed our first striper.....and things were looking up.

What happened next took us both by surprise and consumed the remaining hours of our fishing trip. :lol: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdqmte3 ... e=youtu.be
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Reading many of these aloud to my husband, and I've gotta say, there's not too many laughs so satisfying as those at other folks' expense. Truly hilarious, though I was cringing at some! AWESOME THREAD! :lol:

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

wolfe wrote:Reading many of these aloud to my husband, and I've gotta say, there's not too many laughs so satisfying as those at other folks' expense. Truly hilarious, though I was cringing at some! AWESOME THREAD! :lol:

W.
Margie, you've never had a dew worm up inside your sinus cavity? you are missing one of life's "SPECIAL" moments! :wink:

Doug
Supernova224
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Supernova224 »

I don't think I have any mishaps worthy of this thread YET, but I know my day will come. My brother-in-law and I still laugh about the day he was getting skunked on the Ottawa though, when he pulled out his only catch of the day. He was slow-rolling a spinnerbait and had a clam firmly clamp on to it. Actually needed pliers to get the thing off!
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

CHEO Lake Trout tournament, somewhere in 2007 timeframe.

Weigh in, beach the boat alongside the other 40 boats. Wind picks up, 3 ft rollers and caps, eventually the boats are sloshing sideways and smashing into one another. Wrapped the rope around a tree, and dragged the front of my boat further up the inclined shore so it wouldn't slam into others, and popped the electric riggers off the bases to avoid further damage, putting them on the floor of the boat.

Watching the weigh in, prizes, including Big Jim handing out Shimanos to the kidlets...
...when someone asks me "Dude, is that your Princecraft with the 40?" :?:

Look over... :shock: yup it's mine- Shiiite!! By pulling the front higher up the shore, the back had gone lower. Two waves over the transom, my boat is full of water, every wave after that was into the boat. Downriggers submerged, batteries submerged... Crap. :oops:

It gets even better. Ever try to lift a 17' boat full of water? Can't bail it out, cause the arse end is under water. So it's stuck there. At this point, one cannot be more embarassed, there's no face left to save!!! Solicited help from a bunch of the fellow anglers, on 3 they all lift and push, and out she goes with 2" of freeboard. Anchored offshore, the bilge pump ran for 45 minutes, slowly watching more and more boat rise out of the water as it emptied.

The riggers survived after surgery and a lot of drying out that night.

I KNOW there were a few other FH folk in attendance,
yup that was me who was the bonehead that day .... :oops: :lol:
Mike P
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike P »

Opening day for lakers on the Big Rideau
Arrive to Murphy's Point launch a little past 4am. One guy in front of me getting ready to launch by himself. I pull up in front of him, get out of my truck and ask him if he needs help launching by himself. His reply is he's done this a thousand times and he's got things under control. 15 minutes later I'm still waiting for this guy to launch. I go back to him and asks if he needs a hand. The fella becomes impatience with me and storms to his truck mumbling he's ready to launch. I'm standing there with a buddy as this guy now proceeds to launch. He does a great job of backing his boat down the launch pad and, lines his boat to the water, backs her into the water and slams his brakes on. We watch as the boat comes off the trailer into the water and continue out into the bay. The guy jumps out of truck runs down to end of the dock only to realize he never tied down his boat. I can't help myself, I have tears in my eyes from laughing so much! This guy now has to walk off the dock with his boat floating away in the background, with his head hung low to ask me if I mind getting his boat for him after I launch. I tell him no problem but am still laughing at him and thinking to myself let me show you how this is done.
I back up down the launch, yell out the window to my buddy if he's got the rope with his reply being positive. Send the boat off into the water, while watching the expression on my friends face, sure enough I look behind me and yep my buddy has the rope alright and both ends at that { he did not tie the other end to the boat} and sure enough my boat is floating off into the middle of the bay and actually bumps into the other boat. Well as karma turns out I hear a great amount of laughter coming from this other fella now! Had to strip down to my underwear and go for a little swim to recover some boats!
Maple
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Maple »

I can see it now Mike. that's how you learn. :D :D

Reminds me of the time I was in Algonquin Park for the May 1 trout opener with my dad. We were camped on an island and had pulled the canoe well up the bank to the campsite and turned it upside down for the night.

The wind came up overnight, and I got up in the dark to answer the call of nature. And there was the canoe.....gone..... WTF.....!!! In a panic, I ran barefoot to the end of the island to see I could see the canoe on the far shore. Nope. But there it was, rocking against the far end of a fallen tree at my feet, ready to go with the next gust.

I swam out, got the canoe, waded and swam it back to camp, pulled it up on shore, tied it well, and went back to bed shivering.

I figured the strong wind had righted the canoe and it jiggled down the slope with the constant jostling.

In the morning I told dad what happened and he wouldn't believe me !!! Told me I was making it up!!! I had to show him the fallen tree and describe every submerged rock and deep spot of my return before he did.

From then on, I ALWAYS ALWAYS tie the canoe.

..... reminds me of the time we got snowed in, but that's another story.....
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

Maple wrote:I can see it now Mike. that's how you learn. :D :D

Reminds me of the time I was in Algonquin Park for the May 1 trout opener with my dad. We were camped on an island and had pulled the canoe well up the bank to the campsite and turned it upside down for the night.

The wind came up overnight, and I got up in the dark to answer the call of nature. And there was the canoe.....gone..... WTF.....!!! In a panic, I ran barefoot to the end of the island to see I could see the canoe on the far shore. Nope. But there it was, rocking against the far end of a fallen tree at my feet, ready to go with the next gust.

I swam out, got the canoe, waded and swam it back to camp, pulled it up on shore, tied it well, and went back to bed shivering.

I figured the strong wind had righted the canoe and it jiggled down the slope with the constant jostling.

In the morning I told dad what happened and he wouldn't believe me !!! Told me I was making it up!!! I had to show him the fallen tree and describe every submerged rock and deep spot of my return before he did.

From then on, I ALWAYS ALWAYS tie the canoe.

..... reminds me of the time we got snowed in, but that's another story.....
Snowed in with the canoe, now THERE's a story! :shock:
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

Great thread Brad!!!

April 2009

Trout opening weekend. The last time I sat in a canoe...

On opening day, we hiked up a mountain with a canoe only to find the lake was still frozen solid. :roll:

We returned 2 days later and the lake was ice free. :D

A few fish were landed in the canoe by me and in no time, my brother was getting antsy for a bite... until...

Fish on! He sets the hook HARD!!!! and just like that, the canoe tips and we're in the ice cold water 100 feet from shore.

When we arrived on shore, surprisingly no gear was lost + my bro still had the fish on and reeled it in while standing in knee-deep water.

Here's my bro with the infamous canoe.

We were lucky that on this day, the weather was on our side. It was a windy and balmy 25 degrees so we dried our wet clothes in the trees while we fished from shore. Once our clothes dried, we went back out in the canoe to fish again but like I said before, I haven't sat in a canoe since then.
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
BigC
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BigC »

I know !!

Part 1
Mike arrives at the cottage I've rented a little after supper and even though it's getting dark we decide to just head out for a quick fish. The cottage had a boathouse on the side of it and as I'm loading the boat I ask Mike to untie us, but to be careful as the dock is cut in the shape of the boat, he says "I know" and immediately steps into the void while holding a tackle box. Tackle box slams into the boat, one of his legs plunges into the water other one is still on the dock the boat is now pushed to one side so he has to pull himself out of the water by shear will alone. He's soaked and may have torn his ACL. I'm standing there holding the gas tank uncertain as to what I just saw happen. We still got out for a fish.

Part 2
Now were at Mike's cottage and we're planning the strategy for the following morning, we're a little concerned that a bunch of campers we saw earlier are right in the spot so we decide to go with another technique to start the next morning, which means we'll need to retie. I feel nature calling but before I head outside I see Mike's rod tip coming aweful close to the ceiling fan so I point it out and say, watch yourself man, his reply ? "I know". So I'm now outside and I hear this yelling and screaming and honestly I thought the group of campers was headed down the road to the cottage looking for a party or a fight. Nope it was Mike he was attached to the ceiling with a circle hook firmly implanted in his hand.

Part 3
Mike as you can tell by now is a great guy to have around. We're at the Gouin, he gets snagged pretty good and I'm watching him reef on this snag like nobodies busniess, having seen him break a couple rods already using this technique I'm like dude grab the line before you break another rod, it's way cheaper than breaking another one... "I know" So he stands up to get better leverage on the line but as he does the line gets wrapped in the slowly moving trolling motor and the rod begins to load up and load up even more in a panic he reaches for the control only to turn it the wrong way and CRACK the rod snaps in half. Explodes really, now we were in the middle of a small bay easily 20 feet from shore and there was no splash. To this day I think that rod ended up in outerspace.

So now when I give Mike advice and he gives me the "I know" response I just sit back and wait for the magic to happen.

Knowing is half the battle afterall.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Finally remember one of my finer moments.

Ever forget to U strap your boat? I did...

Except, I unstraoped one side and the boat was doing donuts on the trailer.

I was taking my son out fishing so there wasn't a lot of help at the ramp and I guess I got distracted while going through my list. Once I figured out the problem, we were good to go.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

lape0019 wrote:Finally remember one of my finer moments.
I can think of one more, just saying!ImageImageImage
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

You stay out of this Mav!

I told you, don't poke the bear!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: