Bass Pro buying Cabelas - Effect in Ottawa???

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
bl8ant
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Bass Pro buying Cabelas - Effect in Ottawa???

Post by bl8ant »

lape0019 wrote:This has actually been talked about quite a few times by Ed himself as well as others. I will admit, I used to think that way but I was for the most part wrong.

For price something at Paddletales, Sail and look at the price online for the same 5 items and then come back and make that same statement. Overhead is a lot higher in a 100,000+ square foot store. So is pay to employees since there are more of them.
DUDE! Bass Pro Shops Canada and Cabelas Canada both offer price matching.
This means that they will match the lowest price offered by their competitors and will NEVER BE UNDER SOLD.

They can afford to lose money (that smaller retailers can't) on a sale here and there because they are moving so much product. Are you seriously suggesting that smaller local retailers (I'll hold off on naming stores for the moment) will price match Bass Pro and Cabelas lowest prices including sale pricing? More importantly are you suggesting they should even be asked/expected to?

If not, I will consider that I have finally proven my point. A point I originally thought would be widely accepted as fact and not simply my opinion.
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

FYI Sail also offers price matching, IMO what the smaller shops offer is the ability to bring or carry high end/specific items you wouldn't nessicarly find at the big box store.

When I was working at Sail there were numerous times that a customer would come in looking for a specific item i.e Lucky Bug lures Zombie Maxx we couldn't bring in these products because they "aren't in our system"

From my experience dealing with Paddletales, he has brought in every item I've ever asked for and with excellent pricing.
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
bl8ant
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bl8ant »

Precisely Brad. When small you can be nimble and cater better to the customer.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

bl8ant wrote:DUDE! .
:lol:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Loo,

Have you ever price matched anything? I have, you need proof. Good luck getting that from a mom and pop store without actually going to it. At that point, you might as well buy it there.

Secondly, the reason big stores do this is because very few people will price match. It's a way for them to pull a fast one on you. Don't get me wrong, there will be cheaper items in the big box store but just not as many as you would think. I was pretty surprised to be honest. Plus those mom and pop stores tend to go over and above to keep your business that you won't see at your big box store.

And Skarkner, I doubt rumours that BPS is buying Cabelas will have any effect here. But also note that it doesn't matter how far along the project is when it comes to opening or not. Look at Target. They had many stores that were about to open and decided our market wasn't what they thought it was and pull out. Why? The items that the stocked here were not the same as the ones in the states and very few people even bothered going in. BPS was also supposed to open in Mirabeland pulled out..

I have just come to the point where I don't get excited about this stuff until the doors are actually opened.

And as mentioned before, the few new Cabelas that have opened in Canada have all been busts and every comment I have read is that everyone commenting has been very disappointed.

If this store does open, I'd be lying if I said I won't go. I probably will once or twice and then go back to my old habits.

Adam.
bl8ant
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bl8ant »

lape0019 wrote:Loo,

Have you ever price matched anything? I have, you need proof. Good luck getting that from a mom and pop store without actually going to it. At that point, you might as well buy it there.

Yes, I have price matched Adam and wouldn't classify the process as challenging. My point was extremely straight forward and I take responsibility for not communicating it clearly:
Bass Pro Shops and Cabelas Canada will always price match the lowest prices (including sales) offered by the Mom & Pop shops. Mom & Pop shops do not and cannot afford to price match the lowest prices (including sales) offered at Bass Pro shops.

If for whatever reason you disagree with this statement I can certainly post a few extremely deeply discounted sales items currently being offered by big box retailers and see if local retailers will price match them. Heck maybe it could be a thread or a forum (hot deals) on it's own that is updated weekly?
Personally I feel that wouldn't be fair to local retailers but do you see it differently?

lape0019 wrote:Secondly, Plus those mom and pop stores tend to go over and above to keep your business that you won't see at your big box store.

Couldn't agree more, you are more likely to get better service from a Mom & Pop store than a big box store—no argument there.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

As some have already mentioned the store that is opening is a 70,000 sqft Cabala's Canada store, as opposed to a Cabela's (USA) super store. Just as customers were disappointed with the Target stores when they opened here, the same will most likely happen with Cabela's as anyone that has visited the US stores will find the limited selection available from the Canadian stores to be a disappointment. Essentially it will be like have another SAIL store, just in the west end.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Alex Bull
Participant
Participant

Post by Alex Bull »

I'm more curious to see what will happen to the share price of Cabelas (CAB) if Bass Pro did buy them. They would have a great deal more of the market shares, but can it be enough for significant profit?
bl8ant
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bl8ant »

Alex Bull wrote:I'm more curious to see what will happen to the share price of Cabelas (CAB) if Bass Pro did buy them. They would have a great deal more of the market shares, but can it be enough for significant profit?
I'm not exactly a trader but I did hear that although Cabelas stock has been up and down this year it apparently did jump 13% when the news of the possible acquisition first made the news. As for Bass Pro Shops stock, it's privately owned so it doesn't exist.