Who is Interested---ICE DERBY for CHARITY

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Oziles
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Oziles »

Gents,

As mentionned before, I am quite pleased to help out any way I can. In anticipation of something this year I have already started discussions with a local Outdoor Sports provider to gauge the interest for a substantial prize. As the interest is growing, I will contact them this week to see if they are still interested. I personaly like the other suggestion about a smaller charity. I sit on the board of one and we always have a difficult time raising funds and standing out against the likes of CHEO and the Heart Institute...The charity I sit on is a local one and works in the mental health area, particulalry eating disorders. See www.hopewell.ca. Started by three mothers with daughters with eating disorders and have since grown to provide support services in many schools, at CHEO, at the Civic and General. We also have a good core group of volunteers and I could probably get several of them to help out. The contacts are also numerous and I could anticipate receiving some worthwhile prizes.

Just my two cents worth. We can talk more about it next Thursday!!

Cheers
Yves
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

I dont see alot of replies to my post regarding when or if people want to get together. I wont set anything up until a bit more feedback. So do people want to get together for sure? If so when, next Thursday or the following Thursday. Please reply soon.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Thursdays are better than Wed. for me...As far as which one I agree that sooner is better than later as the next Thurs. is 4 days away from xmas and I will be busy doing my xmas shopping. I am up for this Thurs.
Andy_L
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Andy_L »

this Thursday is good for me too...
Jasonb
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jasonb »

im good for thursday as long as i would be able to catch a ride with someone... im going to try to talk to the owners of the GM dealership i work for to see if they would be willing to give a few things as prizes... i know they wont go in for a major sponsor but i might be able to talk the talk and get some prizes... its worth a try.... also if we do the seeing eye dog charity i will see if we cna arrange that if we raise say $2000 or more maybe they will forfit a used car to match what we raise... we do that alot but mostly match cash raised but its worth a try...

Jason
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

If anyone is able to meet thus Thursday the 13th Let me knoe so Badger can set it up. Better start earlier.
Cheers
JP
skippie
Participant
Participant

Post by skippie »

hey my name is peter (skippie) my friend and I were thinking of running an ice derby together we were going to raise money for the canadian cancer society and there were going to be food prizes and ect. but I am willing to help out with your derby I would have to check up with my friend to see what he says so yah I would love to do it and my choice of a charity would be the canadian cancer society because my dad died of cancer but thats just an Idea. My friend I know would have lots of Ideas to help, the same with me. I like what bobber said about the sponsors I was going to go out with berkley ( my friend) and get some prizes and stuff from lebaron, It doesn't have to be them but again just an idea. ok umm reply back whenever you can.
Thanx skippie
peter
skippie
Participant
Participant

Post by skippie »

oh umm I can probably make it on thursday but I didn't get where and when could you fill me in on that thanxs
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

Skippie just go back and read the whole thread.

Last year we did the cancer society so this year we want to do a different charity, this will be discussed at the meeting if there is enough interest.

Still need more interest before I set up a meeting.

Well lets just go ahead and set up a get together for Thursday and we will see who shows up, if there are enough we will go ahead, if only a few show up, well then it will be just another get together. I am only hesitant because last year there were only a few who could really commit, others thought they would be able but just could not find the time and it was alot of work for a couple of people. Quite a few sleepless nights, especially right before the derby. So we will see how much interest there is on Thursday at Broadway central, Fisher and Prince of Wales location. 7 or 7:30pm. I have to work till probably 7pm. I will be there tonight and set it up, when I come home I will confirm the details for sure.

Don
jig head
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: tournament

Post by jig head »

karma wrote:I noticed that there was a few suggestions to raise money for the CNIB. May I suggest that if you guys want to do something to assist people with sight disabilities living in the area, you consider funding the Mira Guide Dog Foundation.

Mira is the oldest guide ddog school in Canada and where I have been going to get my guide dogs for the past 12 years. There are now about six people I know here in Ottawa who are all using Mira guide dogs at present. Each guide dog takes $30k to train. I know there is another guide dog school just outside Ottawa, but for whatever reason there are six of us here who have decided to get their dogs from Mira, which is located in Quebec.

There are over 10 guide dog schools across Canada and all operate independently of each other. The CNIB has nothing to do with any of them. There are also quite a number of schools in the US, and I know a number of people here in Ottawa who go to the US to get their dogs -- usually to the school in California and usually in the winter -LOL.

I'm not going to compare one school with another, but I think since at least six blind people living here in Ottawa have gone to Mira to get their dogs, Mira deserves some local support. I raised money for them last
April at the Carp show and thank everyone for donating. I also participate in their car race for the blind in June, which involves about 30 drivers with no sight paired with sighted co-pilots. It's the first car to make it around the track 10 times. I've finished 4th once, 3rd twice, 2nd once, and 1st once. Cars cost $2,000 to sponsor.

If we could raise $2K, we could sponsor an entire car. If we were to sponsor a car for the race, we would also get some local media coverage of our car in the race. If we got some local media coverage, the Mira Guide dog Foundation would then become better known up here in Ottawa which would hopefully benefit Mira with more local donations.

I guess what I'm saying is that raising a couple thousand to sponsor a car to entre in the next Mira car race , with maybe me driving again, would help Mira raise money here locally in future so that more of us could go there and get their fantastic guide dogs without feeling bad about the fact that most people here in Ottawa don't know anything about Mira.

Just an idea.
Lawrence

I am all for that Karma!
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

Ok still not much in the way of replies here but things are set up for this Thursday around 7 or 7:30, I let them know but I told them that I had no idea how many. Either way this could be just a get together which is always good.
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

Thanks Badger.
Ok who ever wants to be involved in picking the charity. Also nice reason to get together.
See you all on Thursday.
Cheers
JP
Erie-Eyes
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Erie-Eyes »

Hi JP,
I'm late replying, but I plan on attending on Thursday. Not sure exactly what is required, but seeing how I won one of the prizes last year, I would like to be able to give something back this year. I'm retired so time is not usually an issue for me, although my wife expects to have hand surgery early in the new year which may be a problem depending on timing. In any case I'll see you on Thursday and we will take it from there.
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

Perfect EE. Karma and I will be there arround 7:30.
Cheers
and see you all there,
JP
Oziles
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Oziles »

I will be there.

Cheers
Yves